Thread: Loar 520 vs Michael Kelly Legacy

Default Loar 520 vs Michael Kelly Legacy

Will likely be purchasing from Folk Musicians. They seem to get high marks as a vendor. I will have them do the setup as their procedure (as described on their website) sounds like it is well done.
    Deciding between the Loar 520 or The Michael Kelly Legacy. They are the same price but I have read some negative reviews on the MK Legacy. I respect the opinions of those on this forum so does anyone have any advice as to which one I should choose.

Thanks

Default Re: Loar 520 vs Michael Kelly Legacy

Between those two I would definitely go for the Loar 520. I haven't heard a good Michael Kelly mandolin yet. However, unless you're dead set on getting a F style, I would go for the J Bovier A5 Tradition at the Mando Shop. It's about $100 less and a better mandolin than either of your choices, IMO. FolkMusician has a deserved good reputation but Kyle at the Mando Shop does as well. The current line of J Bovier mandolins have been getting some well deserved praise here on the Cafe lately.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandobassman For This Useful Post:

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

+1 on Larry's advice. I have one of the new A5T's, and have played both of the mandos you mentioned. IMO, the JB is superior to either in tone, playability, fit and finish. The lure of the scroll is strong, tho. You'll have to decide if an A style would work for you. JB also has the F5T, with the same tonewoods and voicing, for not a lot more than you'd spend on those two. Robert at Folkmusician.com is a great guy to do business with. He knows his stuff, and won't steer you wrong, if you decide to stick with your original options. Of those 2, I'd definitely choose that TL 520. Good luck in your search!
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

5. The following members say thank you to Michael Bridges for this post:

Bark first, Bite later Steve Zawacki's Avatar

Found myself in that same quandary a few months ago about the same two instruments. The sage advice I got was to go with the 520. Did just that and loved it while I had it. The fellow I traded it to just a little while ago loves it as well. Very solid instrument.
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Thanks all. The advice was all very relevant. I wii consider it.

I've never played a Michael Kelly, but I did buy a The Loar 600VS from Folk Musician a few years back. I live in France & had the 600VS shipped to a friend in North Carolina who then flew over with it. When I got it, I did have to adjust the action & tweak the truss rod in order to play it without buzzing, but I am happy with the sound & playability now.

A few months ago, I bought a slightly used 2013 Collings MT2 from Kyle at The Mando Shop. He took the time to set it up really well, put new strings on & even installed a strap button free of charge before shipping it to my sister in Knoxville. I played it for the first time two and a half weeks ago when I met up with my sister at the beach in SC. The set up is perfect & I couldn't be happier. I have never tried a J Bovier, but I wouldn't hesitate in buying from Kyle at the Mando Shop again.....he even took $100 off his asking price when I asked if that was the best he could do.
    Joseph

9. The following members say thank you to dreadhead for this post:

Blog Entries

I took the plunge and bought a J Bovier A5 Special when wanting a mandolin upgrade. I have a mid-level import F5 Kentucky and while I love the blue grass sound it produces and the scroll, I realized what so many had been saying in this forum, that for my $700 plus dollars, I should emphasize sound and playability. Having owned a nice lower cost Kentucky A Style in the past, I found that there was a certain uncomplicated clarity and resonance that is produced by an A Style with F holes. I traded up to get my vintage 1980's Japan made Kentucky KM-650 with solid, carved top and back. However, when I play unplugged with an acoustic guitar player at rest homes where I visit to sing for patients, this mid-level F style doesn't give me enough volume. Hearing everything those with J Bovier's have appreciated about theirs, I ordered mine.

Kyle is great to deal with at the Mando Shop (online from Florida) and has kept me informed as he has done my professional set up, changed my strings and added a strap button. It will arrive next week and I will post pictures and let you know how she sounds. I am naming her Emma (as in Emma Bovier) and I look forward to playing her hours each day. I am not going to stop enjoying my beautiful Kentucky F style, though. Big point for me in choosing a J Bovier-- it has a nut width of 1-1/8 (as do Loars and Kentuckys), while Eastman has 1-3/32. (This is important for me as I have very large hands). In addition, the Bovier's have larger frets, Kyle does a great set up and it all adds up to great action as you play.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    I am naming her Emma (as in Emma Bovier)
    Emma Bovary? I would have guessed Jackie for a JBo[u]vier...
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

12. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Blog Entries

pheffernan- I must admit, I didn't catch the spelling difference-- Bovier is not Bovery. Oh-- Jackie Bovier Kennedy! Got it finally. Jackie would be a good one!

Actually, there is a Jackie O connection to Bovier mandolins. I believe bouvier means "cattle herder" in French. Jeff Cowherd of course started Bovier, and I think the kids used to tease him about that when he was a boy as Jackie O was very popular back then. Anyway, enjoy the new mando, they are a fine instrument period, not just for the money!

Sean

Blog Entries

Sean, What an interesting explanation of the possible origin of the mandolin brand name, J Bovier, as in Jeff Cowherd. That is too cool! Well, only in the M.C. would you have cerebral musicians to this extent-- I doubt if this discussion would occur in the Metal Guitar forum.

16. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

sgrexa