Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Siminoff's Straight Up Strings

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Re: Siminoff's Straight Up Strings

I'm still somewhat confused about which strings are considered the "good" strings and which are the "underachievers" when we just use J74 strings or something similar. Do the new strings improve the "underachievers" or mute the "good" strings to achieve the "balance" that seems to be the holy grail of string/bridge interaction? What are the download pressures of each string of J74s (just to compare the most popular string)?

What are the parameters being measured to achieve "balance"? Volume? Some other measure?? Subjective human ear perceptions???

Can we use well defined language to understand the concepts and support the theory that the new strings offer "improvement"?
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Roger-

Is it possible that there is a typo in the PDF link you provided in your post #24 in this thread where the gauge of the wound G appears to read .029" w. Is this meant to read .039" w in the bottom left of the page under specifications?

Thank you.

Bob

Bob… thanks for pointing out the error. Yes, we have egg on our chin - it was a typo and the G string is a .039˝ (not .029˝) and it has already been fixed in the web site. (I had a few folks email and call this morning about it). THANKS!… R

Hi folks, I am nearly recovered from the CBA Grass Valley Bluegrass Festival where I organize the Luthiers Pavilion. Roger and his delightful crew were there offering mandolin centric parts and tools, and his new Straight Up strings which I have now tried. I didn't measure anything, just put them on a few mandolins and can honestly say they are nice strings and produce an even volume and tone on the few instruments I installed them. As previously noted they are in the same vane as the GHS A260 Bobby Osborne strings but with a bit more heft.

I read in FRETS those years ago the string comparisons, and was impressed by the GHS Bobby Osborne set with approximately 2# difference in tension across the neck, which is much less than most string sets. These are probably not gonna blow your sox off but they are really very nice strings with an evenness you don't often get from other sets.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Lewis For This Useful Post:

Mine have arrived and, coincidentally, I'm due for a string change. I'll see what happens. I'm optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Triesch View Post
    OK, I have been playing mandolin for a long time and I always thought that the D strings and the A strings sound fine. I have never noticed them lacking compared to the G and E strings. In fact I remember years ago at a bluegrass club night there was this old guy with a Nuggett and he saw my new mandolin. He told me to pick the D strings for him. He said the way to tell how a good mandolin sounds is by picking the D strings. And I think he is right. On all the mandolins I have owned the D strings always sound the best to me. They just pop out. So to me that kind of takes away from Mr Siminoff's idea. I don't think I will pay $17.00 just to hear how they sound. But good luck to Mr Siminoff.
    well your in luck, you only have to pay 8.95 to hear what they sound like

anyone got a set of these on yet?

8. The following members say thank you to LongBlackVeil for this post:

Yesterday I got an email that it shipped. I think it will come before the weekend!
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

If Michael Lewis likes them, that's good enough for me....
    John A. Karsemeyer

"They are probably not gonna blow your sox off but they are really very nice strings with an evenness you don't often get from other sets."

I do not see where he said "he liked them"

"you only have to pay 8.95 to hear what they sound like"

Plus shipping.

"Can we use well defined language to understand the concepts and support the theory that the new strings offer "improvement"?

I second the motion.

Anxious to hear reports.

Since all of the tension and pressure , compression, force etc of the combines eight strings still bears on the two feet (and tailpiece and nut)... I would like more of an explanation as to why a variance in the gauges of 2 pairs of strings matter for a "problem" that I have not, heretofore, seen voiced or experienced.

I may be the odd man out because I prefer lower tension and low string height as did Jethro Burns and others.).. and "bluegrass" is not my chosen music.. if that is a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hildreth View Post
    "you only have to pay 8.95 to hear what they sound like"

Plus shipping
    Ah your right, I'm stupid, Ha I was wondering why he said it costs so much.

OK then, what brand of strings do "knock our socks off?"
    John A. Karsemeyer

OK, I've given the strings a couple of weeks. It's an ongoing test but I think I like them. I'm not going into a lot of detail but they sound great and seem (maybe) a little easier to play than the EXP74s and J74s I've used in the past. Having said that, I've also got to say there was nothing wrong with the D'Addario strings. My only dilemma is, if it ain't broke, do I want to fix it?

I'm gonna keep playing 'em for a while and see what happens.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    OK then, what brand of strings do "knock our socks off?"
    There hasn't been any groundbreaking new paradigm shifts in decades. Nothing but tiny little steps nearer to an optimum that has been practically reached long ago.
    I am still waiting for those WonderWound Strings that break the rigid relation of gauge/pitch/scale length/tension. For instance, short thick strings of these would sound like longer/thinner ones at the same pitch and tension. There would have to be a heavier, harder core material than steel - probably some nanotech titanium/plutonium alloy is the way to go...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Ok...FWIW
    I have a new set of Straight Up Strings on my Weber Yellowstone HT. My first impression was that on this instrument the sustain is improved. That impression must be tempered by the fact that they are replacing a set of Flat Tops.
    All other impressions I have are subtle but I generally like the strings on this instrument and plan to stay with them for a while.
    I will be testing them on a Bighorn soon. More after that.

LL

Given the difference in the design of bridges on a Weber .... is this difference in string gauges necessary or warranted? Roger? Bruce? Vern?

Thanks,

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

This idea may be destined for the same circular file as some other interesting ideas that haven't panned out....following in Lloyd Loar's footsteps. While there may be some mandolins that sound alright with these gauges, it may be in spite of the theory than because of it. Strings with more tension take more pick energy to drive, so heavier individual strings don't always result in more volume, while lighter individual gauge strings can be much louder on certain mandolins.

For example, some mandolins may need heavier strings to balance out a louder D course, and a lighter string for a quieter G course. i've put together such string sets as Roger, but with totally the opposite result. So each mandolin is an individual. For example, the gauges that balances my A5 are G .038 bright bronze, D .026 Flat Top, A .015 and E .011.

There are so many other factors where the right strings can make a difference. Among them are neck angle and top thickness. Gibson made Equa strings for electric guitars (yes, electrics are another kettle of fish) back in the 1970's, which had pretty even string tension across the set, and they were very popular with the semi-pro crowd i knew then. If an instrument has even tone and volume across all the strings, then a set with even tension is often good. Others that are on the bright or dark side may respond well to sets with uneven tension.

At the end of the day, many mandolins are unique and have special string needs. With all due respect, the Straight Up Strings might belong in the Vivi-Tone camp.

Just put them on yesterday. I didn't know what to think at first. The G & D courses sounded different. After they settled in I thought they sounded fine. I really like the finer windings and the A & E courses sounded great. We'll have see how the hold up.

I put them on last week and so far I like them. Like Doug said, "We'll have to see how they hold up."
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Put mine on yesterday, they sound very even, have great sustain and feel good under the fingers. The G & D strings, being a slight lighter guage, than most medium sets, still have plenty of power, and I like the fact that they don't feel as big. Now, to see how they last. I would like to try them on my 2 other mandolins for comparision. Roger- I hope you make an octave set !
    Teri LaMarco
    Hear my music on Spotify (and other streaming services)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2XBuk...SV24bnkZ2uC-hw

Quote Originally Posted by Ryk View Post
    Given the difference in the design of bridges on a Weber .... is this difference in string gauges necessary or warranted? Roger? Bruce? Vern?

Thanks, Ryk
    I am neither Bruce or Roger but the Brekke bridge didn't revolutionize string compensation but did address a few problems like the leaning you see on just about every two post adj. bridge. That personally drives me nuts and I am surprised that the Brekke isn't more popular for that reason alone. You still need to have the saddle properly compensated and placed for the strings you intend to use. I have a couple different inserts for my original Brekke that I can swap out for different strings and the mandolin is pretty close to perfectly intontated which is important to me.

One "new" development in strings that I am curious about is the Ernie Ball Aluminum / Bronze strings. I have yet to try them on guitar and am curious to hear from others who have. It sounds to me that this would be an interesting sound for a mandolin, so if Mr. D'Addario or whoever is listening, please do some R&D for us mando fanatics! Thanks.

Sean

Sean: why wouldn't Ernie Ball make mandolin sets of the aluminum bronze strings? From their promo video at AG site:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/News/A...Bronze-Strings

BTW take a look at the bridge that Bill James designed. It is meant to counteract that leaning over:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	77565.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	121460
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The Weber bridges also differ from most in the way the saddle is supported: the Original via wooden wedges and the Traditional with a metal beam. I think Ryk may have been getting at a diminished need for tension differences between the two inner and two outer courses, with Weber bridges.
    Blow on, man.

25. The following members say thank you to spufman for this post:

I put a pair on a Heiden A model that already had a lot of sustain. It also was a very loud instrument that was on the bright side. The strings have a great evenness about them which is very nice for this mandolin. It also mellowed out some of the brightness without sacrificing any volume. So far it's thumbs up on these strings.

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Thought I'd revive this, rather than start up a new thread.

I've had these on for a few days now, and I do like these strings. I wouldn't say they're life-changing, but the tone is even and strong and clear. Best of all, so far, is that the finicky A course stays in tune!

Not coated, but they're much smoother to fret/slide than a recent set of EXP's I had on.

Anyone else giving these a try?

Back when this thread was active I got a set and put them on my ff hole mandolin. Originally I bought one set, and just last week I ordered and received a three pack. I like them very much especially on my ff hole instrument, very even tone and feel across the strings and they are loud and play easy. I have been using J74s for 10 years and still love them but these are a great option, and he's practically a Northern California neighbor, ha,ha,ha.
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!