Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A-4 in ads

Default A-4 in ads

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/76579

Ad copy reads "All original except...". Too wise.

Default Re: A-4 in ads

except several of the key things that normally help an old Gibson hold its value?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Yep. This one from 1917 is also "all original." Even the pickup ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Hm. That "1917" instrument is also minus its original bridge, tuners and tailpiece cover. Headplate is brown instead of black. And the pickguard clamp is pre-1911, so either this isn't really a 1917 instrument or the pickguard was transplanted from another mandolin.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

In Orrin's defense, the price does reflect its current state and is a pretty good price for an A-4. Elderly does the same thing... "all original except..." The one that journeybear links to jjust says "all original" with no "except".
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I dunno, Jim. I think you can get an all-original, clean teens A4 with OHSC and no issues for $2K if you're resourceful.

"Originality," mitigated or otherwise, isn't the selling point I would try to use for that A4. Original tuners, 1-pc. bridges, and cam-clamped celluloid pickguards all can present various challenges to the player. If the replacements function better, I would call them "upgrades." Still, methinks the asking price is pretty ambitious for something with repaired cracks and top sink.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

You are right, Martin. I missed the top sink -- cracks don't really bother me if they were well repaired but the top sinck coule be a serious deal-breaker.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

He says the top sink is "stable." Is there any way to know this for sure? I ask because I have the same issue on my 1915 A.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Future Mandolinist

I would only say that if I'd owned the instrument for a significant period of time and the action hadn't changed. Or if something had been done such as the fitting of a new brace that would pretty much guarantee that the top didn't move any farther.

Quote Originally Posted by JLeather View Post
    I would only say that if I'd owned the instrument for a significant period of time and the action hadn't changed. Or if something had been done such as the fitting of a new brace that would pretty much guarantee that the top didn't move any farther.
    You're right about those transverse braces coming loose because of failing glue joints. They can be reglued or replaced entirely. I see that someone also replaced the one piece bridge with Loar style adjustable bridge (don't know what the white saddle is all about). If you had to raise the height over time to compensate for further sinkage, you could track it pretty easily. His asking price is just his opening and the negotiations begin from there. Orrin is a straight up guy and this is a nice if not original mandolin. Love the red burst.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    He says the top sink is "stable." Is there any way to know this for sure? I ask because I have the same issue on my 1915 A.
    You'd have to monitor the deflection over time (months, years, etc.)

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

You could try: "Everything has been replaced except for the wood, the finish, the fretboard, the frets, the label, the tailpiece."

A nice A4 is a beautiful thing.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by jmp View Post
    You'd have to monitor the deflection over time (months, years, etc.)
    Well, so far I have coped with it by replacing the original bridge with an adjustable one. So far so good, the intonation is back to normal and no more buzzing frets. The bracing is sound.

I don't know if I have "years," but we'll see what transpires from here on out.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

I usually don't pay much attention to eBay descriptions but this one keeps appearing over and over, it is pretty amusing

Did anyone else notice this odd A4 description?

Some excerpts:

"back and sides of this Gibson A-4 mandolin are finished completely in wood" (!!)
    "let you adjust the tune of the instrument according to your requirement"
    "can be easily handled and renders a classy look as you play"
    "Get the Gibson A-4 and win praises for your performance"

The full listing:

Product Description
    Create soft music and mesmerize your crowd with the great performance of the Gibson A-4 mandolin. With a straight neck angle and 25 frets ebony fingerboard, this Gibson A-4 mandolin offers smooth and easy playability. The nice and simple tuning pegs of this Gibson mandolin let you adjust the tune of the instrument according to your requirement. The red sunburst top finish and reddish black back and sides of this Gibson A-4 mandolin are finished completely in wood, making it reliable and sturdy for a long run. With a pearl drop structural design, this Gibson mandolin can be easily handled and renders a classy look as you play. Get the Gibson A-4 and win praises for your performance.

Product Identifiers
    Brand Gibson
    Model A-4

Key Features
    Number of Strings 8
    Type Mandolin

Technical Features
    Body Style A style
    Number of Frets 24
    Scale Length 13.88 inch
    Neck Mahogany
    Bridge Ebony
    Fingerboard Ebony
    Bridge Ebony
    Soundhole Oval hole

Miscellaneous
    Additional Features Dot Position Inlays
    Mark Lynch

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkELynch For This Useful Post:

Agreed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MandoPics017.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	120513
    MJB

Mark, I just reread this thread and I'm not so sure I "object" to florid language in descriptions. I used to write some of that kind of thing when writing what I called "Certificates of Historical Insignificance" for customers purchasing a vintage watch. They are fun to write! Sometimes a little tedious unless the reader has a sense of humour or appreciate the language of the period.
    I find no flaw in what has been written but, I agree it's a bit long winded. I am happy to see you find it amusing, I do too.
    It's loquacious prose set my mind in the direction of that beloved wordsmith, Stan Jay from The oh so elegant Mandolin Brothers firm. Methinks, Mr. Jay could wax poetic over fly specks, if so inclined.
    Writing like that can be infectious!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

There's a difference between florid and fatuous.

And between florid and horrid

And btw, I believe It's loquacious prose from a post above should be Its loquacious prose...just sayin'...

Blog Entries

Additional Features - Dot Position Inlays
    I was sitting on the fence, but that's the tipping point for me. Sold!

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkELynch View Post

Some excerpts:

"back and sides of this Gibson A-4 mandolin are finished completely in wood" (!!)
    "let you adjust the tune of the instrument according to your requirement"
    "Get the Gibson A-4 and win praises for your performance"
    sounds like me trying to describe a banjo....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkELynch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    sounds like me trying to describe a banjo....
    Eh? Sounds like it's time to adjust your "medication."

Alan, sent before a third proof reading, blasted auto correct on an iPad!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I just saw this thread and it has me thinking it is time to list my 1916 A-4 for sale. I'll try to put it up on the Cafe' this weekend. I just can't justify keeping it because I am not playing any mandolin at all and it is too lovely an instrument to sit unplayed. No cracks, no sinking top. All original parts still available including the case although i use it with a modern adjustable bridge and no pick guard.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    There's a difference between florid and fatuous.
    Thanks Martin ..... it's a joy to read a very short and direct response with a wonderful use of the English language. All 10 thumbs up!

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Quote Originally Posted by Ryk View Post
    Thanks Martin ..... it's a joy to read a very short and direct response with a wonderful use of the English language. All 10 thumbs up!

Ryk

There ya go, using them big 25 cent words again! And I just lent out my dictionary, too....durn it!