Thread: Rest in Peace, James Allen Shelton

Default Rest in Peace, James Allen Shelton

Word was just posted on another forum that James Allen Shelton, the long time guitar player for Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys, passed away earlier today, after being diagnosed about a month ago with inoperable cancer.

I had missed that earlier news, and today's announcement came as a real shock to me - James was only 53, and I had seen him recently with the band.

I always greatly enjoyed his guitar playing, with Ralph and on his own solo projects. Beyond that, he seemed, based on my chats with him over the years at shows and festivals, to be a fine person - friendly, genuine, and down-to-earth.

I will miss him and his music.

Default Re: Rest in Peace, James Allen Shelton

RIP, James Alan Shelton
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JAS_1.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	119975  

Such sad news! Will pray for his family.

I have a bunch of his CDs, he was a very tasteful player and singer. A friend turned me on to his solo stuff several years ago, really good stuff. He will be missed. May he rest in peace.

James Alan was a smooth flatpicker, with shades of Clarence and Shuffler, not so much Rice. He stressed melody and clean attack. Adam S plays on at least one of his solo things. And he crafted lovely mandolin straps, of which I bought 2. After I got one, I saw him at the Salem County Brandywine festival and whipped out my Gilchrist to show him how it blended on it. He was truly gleeful that it fit so well on it.

It will be bitter-sweet to see Ralph in 2 weeks without him on stage.

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Wow, this just goes to show how fragile life is and how much we should appreciate every day we have. James Allen Shelton took Shuffler picking into the modern age and brought his own touch and tone. I especially loved the sound he got out of his instruments, I think his attack must have had something to do with that. But above all taste, taste, taste. Among the projects he was on that I own my favourite is Steve Sparkman's banjo CD. I'm going back to listen to JAS's smoking break on Panhandle Country... RIP.

My son Nick and I had the pleasure of meeting James Alan Shelton last year and he was very friendly and complimentary of Nick’s playing. We talked about guitar stuff, what kind of strings he used, and other things guitar geeks talk about. He was interested in Nick’s guitar as he’d never played a Bourgeois before. We showed it to him and he sat down with it and picked for several minutes, putting it through its paces while Nick and I watched. He was completely absorbed in the guitar and didn’t appear to notice me taking several pictures. He seemed to be a very genuine down to earth guy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0615.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	119981Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0616.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	119982Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0617.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	119983Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JAS_Signed.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	119984

8. The following members say thank you to Jesse Weitzenfeld for this post:

Buddah