Thread: Getting to see Solly Burton at my niece's wedding

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Default Getting to see Solly Burton at my niece's wedding

Talked to my sister in law and it seems she is having young Mr. Burton and a number of his associates play at her daughter's wedding this Saturday....

This should be interesting because she made the comment that she told them she didn't want to hear any of that "twangy" music.

Now I know he is a music student at ISU and from some of the YOU Tube videos he can play the classical stuff so I am looking forward to seeing him in action...

and none of that "twangy" stuff........

and then she has the brilliant idea that I should bring my mandolin ....Bill Monroe meets Vivaldi ......yea haw......I think I will just be the uncle of the bride (and her godfather.......need a horse head in your bed?) and have a great time listening to another one of the young lions out there...........start as a bluegrass mandolin player and then go to college and study music and then really open up the gates to a wide range of music......seems to be a model that a number of really talented young folks have pursued.....

Default Re: Getting to see Solly Burton at my niece's wedding

You wanna really p-o your sis-in-law? Have them sing "I Know You're Married, But I Love You(r) Still"

3. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

"Got time to breathe, got time for music" -- Briscoe Darling

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    You wanna really p-o your sis-in-law? Have them sing "I Know You're Married, But I Love You(r) Still"
    Nah.......I like her just fine.....but this is going to be a show wedding.......major mechanical contractor's only daughter....the youngest child.......in the town they do business in......renting out Hulman Center.....

I may request Big Mon just for giggles and grins......

Gary -
    I have watched several videos and have a CD of Solly's playing. I believe you are in for a treat at the wedding.
    (Slightly envious I can't be there).
    A report after the fact would be nice.
    Enjoy,
    Lee

Oh I will record some of it on my Iphone and maybe take the Ipad as well......I will try and get a chance to talk to him as well.....from the CD I have of him (in his early years) plus some of the comments I have heard from the locals and the YOU Tube videos the young man can really play that thang.......it should make the evening fun just seeing the music....

I am so impressed with all of these young lions and lionesses ......when I was a 11 year old playing at Bean Blossom there just weren't very many young kids playing......Sam Bush.....Skaggs and Whitley.....Larry McNeely.....later Carl Jackson and I'm sure others that I am leaving out but WOW....the talent and pure technical ability that is out there today is just wonderful.....now if they will just slow some of it down and not note factory the music....(just had to get that grumpy old man comment in)....

Frustrating......just frustrating......they played for the "in church" portion of the wedding not at the reception....the reception had the typical loud........obnoxious.....cheesy.....cover band .......

Got a chance to meet him and one of his professors Brent McPike before the wedding started.....very nice fellows that I would have loved to had a chance to talk to .........Solly asked me did I know Donnie Anderson.....did I know Daryl Jones etc.....(these two being two of the top flight musicians in Central Indiana........Donnie a former Winfield winner and Daryl a Rose Hulman engineering grad and guitar playing monster musician).............seems Dr. McPike's father played music with Julian Cramer (the owner of the 1/12/23 Loar that I purchased many years ago).....small world..............he knows Dave McCarty....Carolyn Dutton etc...

As for playing..........there was a chance to see him in action and the young man can certainly play as can Dr McPike but it really wasn't a chance to see them fully....bummer.......so I got to listen to KC and the Sunshine Band disco crap......

The sad thing is, the wedding guests probably had more fun with the disco thing -- it's the usual story of pearls before swine. In Bloomington for $10 I recently saw a really fine band, "joy kills sorrow", with an excellent mandolin player; there weren't more than 10-15 people in the audience. Last year we had sell my youngest daughter into slavery to pay for my older daughter to go see "One Direction" in some arena.