Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vassar

Dearest Friends,

As many of you may know, Vassar Clements is not only a great friend
    of Tony Rice's, but his favorite musician as well.

It is with great sadness that we must type the news of Vassar's recent diagnosis (March 11th) of small cell lung cancer. He is in good hands of confident doctors, and the hearts and prayers of family, friends, and fans. His faith in God, his always upbeat spirit, and the happiness he has brought through his music will all play a role in the hopeful miracle we pray for. And something not to be forgotten, he is in the great care of his daughter Midge and son-
    in-law George. Vassar is also blessed with a wonderful and supportive extended family.

In light of these health developments, Vassar will be unable to make scheduled performances for the month of March. Please stay tuned to the website for any further cancellations. He is receiving immediate treatment for this form of aggressive cancer.

The beauty of Vassar's music matches the kindness of Vassar's soul. We ask all who have ever been touched by him to please pray for a speedy recovery. God performs miracles everyday, and noone deserves it more then this true gentleman.

Please sign the guestbook to give Vassar something to read as he starts this journey. Cards are welcome and can be sent to the PO BOX listed on the contact page. No phones calls please.

Please visit Vassar's website at http://www.vassarclements.com

thanks for the info Scotti. That is a terrible thing to hear.

Just sent my message out.
    Thanks

Mike

Another of my heros not doing so well
    I'll keep him in my thoughts

Thanks for the info Scotti.

Im 68 & I play with a lot of musicians around 80 #I just hope when we all pass on we can all play with the greats like Vasser in that Angel Band #sending prayers !
    Kenneth Froman

This is very very sad. What's up with all these musicians going through all this mess. Makes me angery. I will be praying.

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

I'll keep the Kissimmee Kid in my thoughts!
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Philip Halcomb

I'm sorry to hear that. My mother just passed away with small cell this past December. It isn't an easy thing to go through. Hopefully the doctors will make it as easy as possible on him.

"The beauty of Vassar's music matches the kindness of Vassar's soul."

Amen. We're about to lose a couple great ones already this year!

mandollusional Mike

Vassar was one of my favorites. I first saw he and Doc Watson at a festival in West Virginia in 1974. They were instrumental in fostering my love for bluegrass music. What a great artist!

Yes, very sad to read. One of my first recording sessions was on a banjo picker's project. I walked into the studio and was immediately greeted by Vassar, whom I had never met. He made me feel warm and welcome right away, and didn't laugh or roll his eyes when I played my breaks

Get better soon, Vassar.

Hi everyone,

I'm sending out a special prayer request for Vassar
    Clements.

He is currently in the hospital undergoing aggressive
    chemotherapy for lung cancer. Most of you know
    that Vassar is small-framed and also quite frail.
    He needs all our energy for strength to handle the
    chemo.

Please pray for an increase in his red and white
    blood cell counts and that the chemo targets only
    the cancerous cells.

Thanks, PLEASE keep sending out that postitive energy.
    We need a miracle today.

Hi everyone,

This update from Vassar Clements's family is posted on Vassar's guestbook. Keep up the prayers, they are working!

Vassar had done really well with his first few rounds of chemotherapy - he has an appetite, rosey cheeks and of course some of the usual discomforts. He has heard about the MASS of love on his message board and says this: "Tell them all I love them and thank you for thinking of me and sending me their thoughts and prayers. And when I get home, I'll try and read the messages." From the family: "We know that there are so many people who care about[him]and we do appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers. We have a great support system out there, and at home as well. Please know that we would like to answer all the calls, but it is impossible at this time." They simply ask that everyone be patient and they'll be back in touch and will let everyone know how he's doing. His spirits are UP and knows you are thinking of him! It is unlikely V-Man will make any April dates, possibly May as well. It's still too early to know yet how everything will 'take' but I am very optimistic. He has 'round the clock attention and Midge is keeping a healthy watchful eye on him.

Thanks for the update Scotti, it sounds like he's doin' better each day!
    mandollusional Mike

Hi everyone,

First of all, THANK YOU for all the prayers and
    guestbook messages. We've printed them out and
    sent it to him and I hope it will give him comfort
    in knowing that so many people have been inspired
    by him and are praying for him.

We talked to Midge over the weekend and got an update
    on Vassar's treatment. The chemo is very difficult
    and Vassar has been unable to eat. Please pray for
    his appetite to return and for his strength to increase.
    And of course for the chemo to attack only the cancerous
    cells.

Also, please pray for strength for Vassar's wonderful family, many of whom I've had the pleasure to meet. He is blessed with a family that loves him very much - his daughters Terry and Renee, stepdaughters Midge and Darlene, his sister Janice and his brother/cousin Carroll and all their families.

It's the first day of Spring, a time of renewal and rejuvenation, and a holy time for those of us of the
    Christian faith, as Vassar is. PLEASE keep those prayers coming!!!

just left my guestbook message. i don't know vassar c. but whenever i've seen him play- his soul just pours through the music. a musical giant!

Vassar is one of my heros. Not only does his soul shine through his playing, but through his words and personality. Vassar feels like family.

I've seen Vassar play several times a year for the last several years around Florida. I've seen him play with many of the best, and no matter how spectacular the lineup, Vassar is always central to the soul of the music. I actually flew to Springfest last weekend hoping to see him play. His diagnosis came just before the show. Not only was Vassar ill, but terrible storms came through Live Oak flooding the stages, injuring some festivalgoers, and taking all the music inside a hot crowded box.

During Mike Marshalls set a song was dedicated to Vassar, and I saw tears running down his chest as he played for Vassar.

Easter Morning Tony Rice, Bela Fleck, Mike Marshall, Darol Anger and others played a fantastic "Lonesome Fiddle Blues" for Vassar after a short tape of his fiddle.

The outpouring of grief in the festivalgrounds was moving. Though I was unable to see Vassar this year, I was glad to be near to those who love him. There are many of us.
    Micah
    A bit of advice given to a young native upon initiation:
    As you go the way of life, you will come across a great chasm. Jump! It's not as far as you think.

Sad news, I first heard him on AREO PLANE and from that point on he was a favorite of mine.On this months Dawgs Acoustic Disc calendar he is featured and my thoughts will be with him every day as I see him on the kitchen wall.

Rick Schmidlin

I read that he'll be playin' in Atlanta this weekend, good to hear the prayers are working.
    mandollusional Mike

Richard J.

Any updates Scotti?
    "The older I get, the better I was!"

..not at this time...sorry

MAY 3, 2005 (PAPA'S HEALTH UPDATE)

MIDGE HERE…… AGAIN WITH THE MOST CURRENT UPDATE OF PAPA. UNFORTUNATELY, ONCE AGAIN PAPA WAS ADMITTED TO THE HOSPITAL ON APRIL 18TH, 2005 AND DISCHARGED ON APRIL 28TH, 2005.

HIS ADMISSION THIS TIME WAS DUE TO NEEDING ANTIBIOTICS THROUGH IV AS WELL AS HIS BLOOD COUNTS BEING TOO LOW. THE ONCOLOGIST WANTED TO HAVE PAPA ON CONTINUOUS IV FLUIDS TO IMPROVE HIS KIDNEY FUNCTION AND WOUND UP CHANGING HIS PAIN MEDICATION AS WELL.

THERE WERE MOMENTS OF BEING VERY SCARED THAT PAPA MIGHT NOT MAKE IT OUT OF THE HOSPITAL. HE HAD TO HAVE SEVERAL BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS AND UNITS OF PLATELETS. A CHEST X-RAY WAS COMPLETED BEFORE LEAVING THE HOSPITAL WITH PAPA HAVING FLUID IN HIS LEFT LUNG AND THAT IS BEING WATCHED VERY CAREFULLY. WITH THE ON GOING CHAIN OF PRAYER'S THAT CONTINUE AND MOST OF ALL "GOD'S INTERVENTION" PAPA IS NOW
    MUCH STRONGER, EATING BETTER AND NO PAIN SINCE LEAVING THE HOSPITAL. PAPA HAS ACTUALLY CROSSED TWO HURDLES SINCE BEING DIAGNOSED WITH SMALL CELL LUNG CANCER THAT ALMOST TOOK HIM AWAY FROM US. SO YOU SEE MIRACLES DO HAPPEN. "THANK YOU FOR YOUR GROUP SUPPORT OF
    PRAYER'S."

WITH HAVING SAID THE ABOVE, TOMORROW GEORGE AND I TAKE PAPA FOR HIS 3RD ROUND OF CHEMO TREATMENTS. THE DOCTOR ALREADY TOLD US THAT HE WILL BE DECREASING HIS CHEMO MEDICATION TOMORROW (WEDNESDAY 05/04/05.) WE KNOW THURSDAY IS SCHEDULED TO BE A LONGER CHEMO TREATMENT DAY AND FRIDAY WE JUST HAVE TO SEE HOW IT GOES. WITH PAPA FEELING SO MUCH BETTER HE DOESN'T QUITE UNDERSTAND WHY HE HAS TO CONTINUE THE CHEMO TREATMENT, YET IF HE DOESN'T THE CELLS WILL
    DOUBLE.

PAPA IS STILL ON 3 LITERS OF OXYGEN AND THAT IS PRETTY MUCH OF THE TIME. HE REALIZES THAT EVEN 5 MINUTES OFF OXYGEN MAKES A DIFFERENCE. WE HAVE A NURSE THAT MAKES ONE OR TWO HOME VISITS A WEEK JUST TO MAKE A ROUTINE CHECK. THE PHYSICAL THERAPIST ASSISTANT COMES ONCE OR TWICE A WEEK AS WELL TO HELP WITH HIS MOTOR SKILLS. AS OF TODAY, PAPA DID "EXCELLENT" WITH HIS THERAPY.

I DID ASK PAPA IF HE WANTED TO RELAY ANY MESSAGE TO YOU FOLKS AND THIS IS THE FOLLOWING:
    "THANKS IS NOT ENOUGH. WHEN CANCER HITS YOU AS IT HAS ME, YOU
    CAN'T THINK OR TALK FOR YOURSELF. THINGS ARE JUST NOT CLEAR. HOPEFULLY, ONE DAY I CAN GET AROUND TO EVERYBODY AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR PRAYER'S."

PLEASE KEEP PAPA'S ONCOLOGIST AND HIS STAFF IN YOUR PRAYER'S
    AS WELL AS THE HOSPITAL STAFF WHO HAVE GIVEN HIM SUCH WONDERFUL AND PRECIOUS MEDICAL ATTENTION.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR LOVE, SUPPORT AND THE CONSTANT PRAYER'S FOR PAPA AS WELL AS OUR WHOLE FAMILY. IT'S AMAZING!!!

LOVE TO ALL,
    MIDGE

Good news indeed. #Lord, hear our prayers and grant your faithful servant Vassar a complete recovery. #Amen.