Thread: chop question

Default chop question

so i am new to bluegrass and mandolin ...i had a simple question ... Do you just chop on the "and" of every beat making a 1 chick 2 chick 3 chick 4 chick sound...or do you strike the bottom string on the down beat making a "boom-Chick" sound...when you are playing fast driving bluegrass? some players ive seen seem like theyre not playing anything on the downbeat just chopping on the 'and"...just wondering

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Default Re: chop question

At fast tempos and with a string bass most players just chop "and". But even then some get their hand into a rhythm where something light is indeed played on the beat. Even with a short upstroke before it. So (light up)-(light down) pre-on the beat, hard chop down on the off-beat. But there's lots of variation depending on how hard you want to drive the rhythm. Maybe the best musician to study for the use of all kinds of chops is Sam Bush. Listen and experiment.

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sam Bush is DAMAN to listen to for chop enlightenment, in my book. Check out his workshop from ROMP last year, with Dominick Leslie. He gets into a pretty involved discussion on his rhythm and chop style. Very informative.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPOyHHkD7LQ
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

4. The following members say thank you to Michael Bridges for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by dbrown101 View Post
    so i am new to bluegrass and mandolin ...i had a simple question ... Do you just chop on the "and" of every beat making a 1 chick 2 chick 3 chick 4 chick sound...or do you strike the bottom string on the down beat making a "boom-Chick" sound...when you are playing fast driving bluegrass? some players ive seen seem like theyre not playing anything on the downbeat just chopping on the 'and"...just wondering
    I do often at least touch the bass string on the beat to keep me in time on the faster pieces when I'm chopping.
    Jim Richmond

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bridges View Post
    Sam Bush ... gets into a pretty involved discussion on his rhythm and chop style. Very informative.
    Also see the "Rhythm" half of Sam's two-DVD set from Homespun. He's clearly not intimidated by the Bluegrass Police!
    - Ed

"What our group lacks in musicianship is offset by our willingness to humiliate ourselves." - David Hochman