Thread: Jade J-18 #39 Mar 10th, 2009

Blog Entries

Default Jade J-18 #39 Mar 10th, 2009

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	255.7 KB 
ID:	119500Click image for larger version. 

Size:	250.8 KB 
ID:	119498Click image for larger version. 

Views:	287 
Size:	249.0 KB 
ID:	119499

Default Re: Jade J-18 #39 Mar 10th, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by skipdog View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Size:	255.7 KB 
ID:	119500Click image for larger version. 

Size:	250.8 KB 
ID:	119498Click image for larger version. 

Views:	287 
Size:	249.0 KB 
ID:	119499

Tell us her history.
    Nic Gellie

Blog Entries

In 2010 I was visiting family in Chicago and had just sold my A-5 San. Juan Mandolin. I had my 1921 Gibson A-4 with me for the trip. I stopped into Dr. woods, in Fox River Grove Il, to say hello when my good friend David Rose showed me a mandolin he had just acquired from a student. it was a " Jade Ol''37" also known as " The Sam" , as it is a "1 and 1/4 wide neck with block inlays. I fell in love right there and had to have one myself. Unfortunately Bob McRee had stopped producing them and was impossible to reach or search for or anything. I proceeded to search and hunt and FIND a few Jade Mandolins along the way. I eventually found an "Ol''37" which was the LAST mandolin to ship out of Bob's (Mr.Pan and Mr.Chen's) shop, unsigned/numbered/labeled as well as #33, and #50(bird'eye maple). I learned quite a bit about Bob McRee and the journey of each mandolin which only fueled my desire to find as many of these as I could. #39 came to me from a fella in Houston Texas who bought her at a trade show in Arlington Texas. She was on a table with four other Jade's, he picked this one as the best out of the batch. I know that #33 was on that table as well as #36 which is now in Steamboat Sprrings Colorado, as I've played it! These are bargain priced, well below their true value for a hand made mandolin. Each one I have owned went directly to Bobby Winterinham, of San Juan Mandolins, for a tune up and "mandolin spa" treatment. Bobby is a incredible builder and a wonderful character and REALLY straightened out any kinks these showed up with (fret dressing, replace nut with mother of pearl and recut sting slots, install bridge pickup and radius the bridge). Since I don't use a tone generator , other than my hands, I've spent countless hours playing these mandolins and finding my voice in the process. The neck width of this mandolin is 1 and 3/16ths. I'm a "wide neck" fan, anything narrower WILL NOT DO!!!
    Last edited by skipdog; May-26-2014 at 10:53am.

These have always been among my favorite mandolins and I'd still like own one. I played one once at Waco Vintage Instruments in Mansfield, Texas. F-style, non burst finish. Just beautiful in every way, though a bit rough around the edges (part of the appeal for some reason). Turned down (foolishly!) a chance at one of the first A-styles about 6 yrs ago. Maybe someday...

Blog Entries

There were two at Mansfield, I bought the brown burst #33. While searching I found your post," I played one of these down at Vintage Music in Waco", so on to Waco my virtual feet did roll and low and behold we're two. I can find YOU one as well, in fact I know where one is hiding right now.

Blog Entries

And the "A" you foolishly turned down I bought, and it was the worst mandolin Ever made, crude to say the least, one step away from a banjo. I've had my hands on #11 owned by Roy Bloomfield,Vail co, #29 ole'37 David Rose,Il,#36 and one more in Steamboat Co, #33 the Waco kid I owned and sold, #50 Custom Rob Black bird's eye maple, Dennis Barber Telluride Co, #39 and "The Mystery" unsigned ole'37, my pride and joy. That"A" is #25 , I had San Juan Mandolin maker Bobby Winterinham straighten her out and put a pickup in her then I gave her to a friend who played out his cancer with it. So she turned out to be a healing instrument, cuz there was no way I was gonna get a monetary return. Money only takes you so far, but a good story, with a few minor tweaks, twists and changes will get you to heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by skipdog View Post
    And the "A" you foolishly turned down I bought, and it was the worst mandolin Ever made, crude to say the least, one step away from a banjo. I've had my hands on #11 owned by Roy Bloomfield,Vail co, #29 ole'37 David Rose,Il,#36 and one more in Steamboat Co, #33 the Waco kid I owned and sold, #50 Custom Rob Black bird's eye maple, Dennis Barber Telluride Co, #39 and "The Mystery" unsigned ole'37, my pride and joy. That"A" is #25 , I had San Juan Mandolin maker Bobby Winterinham straighten her out and put a pickup in her then I gave her to a friend who played out his cancer with it. So she turned out to be a healing instrument, cuz there was no way I was gonna get a monetary return. Money only takes you so far, but a good story, with a few minor tweaks, twists and changes will get you to heaven!
    Guess it's good I didn't get that particular A. But as you say, a good story. That brown F you have must be the one I played. It sounded and played great. Would've like to have owned it but he had it priced at over 1000. Just thought it was too much.

Strange that you got to play #36, since that's my mandolin and I bought it directly from Bob :-)
    Hans
    Jade JF-18 #36

Blog Entries

Hans, Iwas wrong on the number. I know you have #36 yet the one I played ifrom steamboat Colorado had the same finish as yours.