Thread: Alvarez Mandolin a900?

Default Alvarez Mandolin a900?

I recently purchased a mandolin for $375. I looked at it and played it about three weeks ago.

It had one nick and was pretty dirty, but had amazing sound. I'm pretty sure it's an Alvarez a900 model. Supposedly early 70s, sunburst finish, F4 frame, and double As on the head. It's currently at a great repair shop. However, the shop owner says it's fretted for a professional player and recommends it be refretted for a beginner. What does this mean exactly?

I've played basic guitar in the past and would like to take lessons. Would refretting be recommended? Does changing the fret work effect the value?

I'll post pictures ASAP.

Thanks!

Default Re: Alvarez Mandolin a900?

Quote Originally Posted by MKS_Artist View Post
    I recently purchased a mandolin for $375. I looked at it and played it about three weeks ago.

It had one nick and was pretty dirty, but had amazing sound. I'm pretty sure it's an Alvarez a900 model. Supposedly early 70s, sunburst finish, F4 frame, and double As on the head. It's currently at a great repair shop. However, the shop owner says it's fretted for a professional player and recommends it be refretted for a beginner. What does this mean exactly?

I've played basic guitar in the past and would like to take lessons. Would refretting be recommended? Does changing the fret work effect the value?

I'll post pictures ASAP.

Thanks!
    It means you need to find a different repair shop!
    Bill Snyder

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Snyder For This Useful Post:

The only thing I can think of is that it needs fret work, but Bill has a point, beginner frets are no different than any other frets, sounds a touch spotty from a repair standpoint.
    Second opinion may be wise.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Many players here on the Cafe, including me, find larger (wider) frets to be easier to play. Many mandolins come with slightly taller and skinnier frets, including most of the Asian import mandolins from the '70s. Some will refret with banjo frets or even guitar frets like I did on a Kentucky KM850 several years ago (also from the '70s). I found the wider frets much, much easier to play on. Maybe this is what your repair guy means by this. However, I have never heard anyone refer to them as "beginner" or "professional" frets. I recall the Alverez a900 to be a pretty decent mandolin and lots of people played them with the frets that they came with without any issues, so unless it needs a refret because the frets are worn, I wouldn't do it. Maybe sometime down the road, when it really needs it, you might want to consider larger frets, but it's expensive to do if it isn't necessary.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

My guess is the repair guy wants to put on fret wire he already has rather than what is on it. But I'm a cynic at heart.
    Jim Richmond

7. The following members say thank you to Jim for this post:

If the current frets are good there is no reason to do a re-fret. Unless your repair person can clarify what they said into something that makes sense, I would avoid them.

I played the factory frets for years and, I played them a lot and very hard! I stayed with the closest to the original size because I just got used to them. If you are just starting, I would only replace worn frets and, keep them as original as possible. When you first start you don't have much to compare so, my thought is make it like original and after you have gotten some experience you may feel that different frets are warranted. Only you will be able to make that determination. But, fret wire does not know if it's "professional" or not and that still sounds odd. Maybe he has developed his own nomenclature for material.
    Timothy F. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    My guess is the repair guy wants to put on fret wire he already has rather than what is on it. But I'm a cynic at heart.
    I think Jim is right.......or at least on the right track. I would advise at the least, another opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    It means you need to find a different repair shop!
    Amen!!

Agree with the cynics above...I'd get a second opinion before proceeding with any work, and, unless the person you spoke to can explain what they mean better I'd avoid that shop moving forward. If the frets are very worn fret work could be necessary (ranging from levelling/redressing to replacing), but his explanation sounds pretty "used car salesman"-ish to me...
    Chuck

second opinion time. ask him to elaborate and get back to us here.

by the by, that's a pretty good mando, especially if you are a beginner.

I just saw this thread and am wondering about how the issue was resolved. Also want to hear more about the mandolin.

I didn't get the frets redone. I got a second opinion from an experienced mandolin player. However, I did get some other minor repairs done on it. The only thing that bothers me aesthetically is there's a small chip at the bottom part that v's out. It's on the the back. You can't see it when being played and the repair man said it wasn't affecting the sound. I think he didn't want to bother with it due to it's the corner wood inlay.

I had a break in a while back, and the idiot broke the case, but didn't steal or damage the mandolin. I replaced the hinges and it's almost as good as before. Thank goodness.

I've just scheduled some lessons. I tried working with chords on my own, but I think I'll have more motivation to keep it up if I'm paying.

It does sound great. I also found an estimate of the worth online. Even with the damage and repair costs, it was still a good deal.

You did get a decent price, glad the break in didn't cause more damage than case damage, must not have had a fireplace poker around
    Enjoy it!
    Timothy F. Lewis