Thread: Concerning Hobbits (Howard Shore), mandolin quartet

Default Concerning Hobbits (Howard Shore), mandolin quartet

This week's tune in the Song-A-Week group is "Concerning Hobbits" from the Lord Of The Rings soundtrack. I've recorded a mandolin quartet arrangement of the tune, which may be of interest here in the classical forum as well.

The arrangement is by Michael Yu, originally for flute, violin, guitar and cello, available for download from:

http://musescore.com/user/25581/scores/43014

I found that it transfers nicely to mandolins -- I've recorded it on two mandolins, tenor guitar and mandocello, but the "guitar" part falls entirely into mandola range and can easily be played on that instrument for a true quarteto classico:

Mandolins 1&2: Mid-Missouri M-0W
    Guitar: Ozark tenor guitar
    Mandocello: Suzuki MC-815

Martin
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Concerning Hobbits (Howard Shore), mandolin quartet

Listening back to the recording I uploaded yesterday with a day's distance, I decided that the first mandolin part could be improved. I've re-recorded it today, using a different mandolin (my Ceccherini bowlback) to separate the voices better. I've played it softer as well and I think it's an improvement.

Here is the new MP3 and video links:

[MP3=2]http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=119101&d=1399825764[/MP3]

Martin
    Attached Files Attached Files

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

nicely done

I got a book many years ago , the books called The road goes ever on a song cycle , music by Donald Swann 1, the road goes ever on 2, Upon the hearth the fire is red 3,The Willow -meads of Tasarinan 4, In western lands 5,Namarie ( Farewell ) 6, I sit beside the fire 7, Errantry 8, Bilbo's last song , great book and music , I'm a big fan of the hobbit
    steven shelton