Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where to move to in US? (Yes, there's mandolin content!)

Keith

Default Re: Where to move to in US? (Yes, there's mandolin content!)

If cheap rent ain't the biggest part of your equation, than NYC can give you nightly jams and is increasingly good for (urban) bike riding. The best place I've lived for accessible bluegrass jams and finding other players to jam with, by far. The jams I attended were quite friendly, too. Rent can be not too bad, if you are ok not living in Manhattan or hipster Brooklyn.

Stepping down to cheaper rent - Burlington, VT has great musicians, a very different climate, and a cool scene. Great biking, but you'll need a fat bike for the (long, long) winter. Or take up cross country skiing, which can replace either road or mountain bike urges.

For very cheap rent and a taste of very rural life - I'd echo an earlier suggestion for Mountain View, AR. I love it there, but you better be prepared to cook all your own food (good farmers around, though), or not expect San Francisco foodie joints. If you're into mountain biking, the Syllamo trails are designated IMBA Epic, FWIW. If you like road biking, it's pretty there, but hilly. And there are nightly jams at the square during warmer months, and plenty of picking in the winter. Very friendly.

Nashville and Asheville ain't too shabby, though Nashville is weak for good mountain biking or outdoors access.

What's your interest in cycling? Just getting around or do you do it for fun/exercise? Coming from the Bay Area with all the hills and great rides, going anywhere flat will be a major disappointment unless your interest is just getting around.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Hall View Post
    There are a lot of acoustic musicians in and around Austin. Compared to other cities of the same size or larger, it is inexpensive. Also: John Paul Jones lives in Asheville but Robert Plant lives in Austin.
    And Bob isn't even the best musician in his neighborhood...

Quote Originally Posted by nickster60 View Post
    . . . One thing I love about Texas is the have some of prettiest ladies in the south.
    True, they emigrated from New England due to the surplus up here.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

5. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    What about Austin Texas. I have some friends there and I hear good things.
    I live in Austin, TX and it fits all your criteria except for the inexpensive apartment part...of course that depends on what you consider inexpensive. A one bedroom tends to go for $800-$1200 (over $2000 for some of the posh newer complexes in the "cool" neighborhoods) and we are currently at 97% occupancy and building like mad.
    Of course, summers are hot. We commonly have 30+ days over 100 degrees (100 of them a couple of years ago), but then again, you can spend the afternoons in Barton Springs pool where the water will be 70 or so.
    Bluegrass Jams, Old-time jams, Celtic Jams, open mics, and lots of live music all the time.
    Definitely a bicycle friendly town. We have rental stations popping up all over.
    Also, the best string shop in Texas: Fiddlers Green Music Shop.
    Last edited by Capt. E; May-13-2014 at 4:13pm.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    True, they emigrated from New England due to the surplus up here.
    And how many of those ladies would support an expensive mandolin purchase?

Wonderful thread BTW.

+1 for Portland! 8^)

I suggested Asheville. It did get me thinking you are from San Fransico. I am not trying to get all political here but most of the cities in the South are pretty conservative. You should factor that into your choice. It is great to have everything you are looking for but you still have to fit in. Just something to think about. Asheville is more liberal than most cities down here.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

Wonderful posts, everyone! Lots to think about - thanks so much.

To the person who asked about my bicycling interest - it's really just to be able to get around in reasonable safety on a bike, and get a bit of exercise in the process. I've not really taken advantage of bicycle trails around San Francisco, but I use a bicycle almost exclusively for my transport in the city (and a little beyond).

Also, I do realize that not everywhere is as liberal as San Francisco, but I'm not at all worried about being in a place that is more conservative. If it's very much more conservative, I'm probably not going to agree on politics and religion with everyone I meet, but there are other things to talk about (plus I'm a foreigner, so I get a little extra slack if I don't automatically agree with a speaker).

Thanks again folks, I'll be reading and re-reading this thread for a while!

Kenny

Blog Entries

My father taught me that the way to have lots of friends is to never talk politics, sex, religion, salary, weight, or age. I can go a whole day without talking about any of those things.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

nice pants, beatle boots and fender flat top!

Hi James,

Quote Originally Posted by grandcanyonminstrel View Post
    John Paul Jones from Led Zeppilin lives here and can be seen at the local jams...
    I was intrigued by this comment, so I made some inquiries. John Paul Jones has attended the Swannanoa Gathering in the past and has musical friends here, and while he may have been seen around town when visiting them, when I asked about it, I was told that it was, sadly, not true that he has a house here.
    Jim Magill, Director
    The Swannanoa Gathering
    Warren Wilson College
    PO Box 9000
    Asheville, NC 28815-9000
    828-298-3434
    jmagill@warren-wilson.edu
    www.swangathering.com

Blog Entries

Get a pad and pencil:

A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

16. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by ampyjoe View Post
    Wonderful posts, everyone! Lots to think about - thanks so much.

To the person who asked about my bicycling interest - it's really just to be able to get around in reasonable safety on a bike, and get a bit of exercise in the process. I've not really taken advantage of bicycle trails around San Francisco, but I use a bicycle almost exclusively for my transport in the city (and a little beyond).

Thanks again folks, I'll be reading and re-reading this thread for a while!

Kenny
    Austin is an excellent place for biking. Many days, I commute into work easily, about 5 miles each way. If you look at Austin, the best rental deals and (in my opinion) the best neighborhoods are on the south side. The hills are no where near as bad as SF. The buses have bike racks for longer trips etc.

Of course, Chattanouga sounds pretty good.
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Penny Whistle

Jeff
    I knew it was just a matter of time before that showed up.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

!!

I lived in Winnemucca for 4 years.. two of my brothers were born there.

I still like the place and visit once in a while.

Portland Oregon has everything but sunshine.... except on a few days when the rain is about to come down.

San Francisco is NOT "Frisco"

Considered poor taste to alter the name of a saint... just sayin'.

I was born in San Francisco and grew up there. Still have family there Went to the East coast for grad school, & never got back. Couldn't afford to go back now. You oughta stay there. Apparently, you don't know how good you have it.

http://www.Cohenmando.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hildreth View Post

Austin has an old cafe named Frisco http://thefriscoaustin.com/ It is the last of the "Nighthawk" restaurants. Nice cafe, good food. So far as I know, it has nothing to do with SF.

I agree that anyone who is able to live in San Francisco should stay there. Wonderful town. I visited for two weeks once, staying in a friend's pre-earthquake home. Had a fabulous time.
    Of course, long term Austin residents are often told the same thing if they bring up the idea of moving. I've never lived anywhere but Austin in my adult life and I guess I take it for granted. The heat and the huge growth gets to me sometimes. It was less than 200K population when I moved here. Now it is heading towards 2 million (10th largest metro area in the country now).
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Penny Whistle

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. E View Post
    Austin ... was less than 200K population when I moved here. Now it is heading towards 2 million (10th largest metro area in the country now).
    And with those 1,800,000 aspiring singer-songwriters it can get pretty noisy at times ....

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    nice pants, beatle boots and fender flat top!
    And nice strumming, especially all the way up the neck at the end. Also, early use of radio signal pickup.

OK, so he was not plugged in and they were lip-synching to the record. Boy, music on TV was messed up back then!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Get a pad and pencil:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hildreth View Post

Eh. It's just a nickname. San Francisco IS Frisco. It's also San Fran, The City By The Bay, Baghdad By The Bay, The Golden Gate City, Fog City, even Everybody's Favorite City, or just The City. It's a place name, not a saint's name, in this context. Places have nicknames - The Big Apple, The Big Easy, Sin City - and it ain't no big thing. I live in The Conch Republic on Bone Island (originally, in Spanish, Cayo Hueso, corrupted to its present name by English speakers who misheard this). When I lived in The Nutmeg State, I hung my hat in The Elm City. The elms are gone but the name stayed, and I assure you, if the current residents knew how the state got its nickname they'd be aghast and do something about it. Nicknames are a form of expressing affection, and also poetry. Yes, I am aware there is a sort of movement of folks opposed to this term, but it seems to me a pretty minor issue.

Speaking of poetry, "Frisco" fits the meter of this great old song far better than the city's proper title.

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

25. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Actually "Frisco" is in Summit county CO, Just off I70 on hwy 9. Good biking there too, expensive rent.
    Jim Richmond

27. The following members say thank you to Jim for this post:

Well, we're all over the country so I'll add one; Gainesville, Fl. Has much of what you want and is a nice sized, University town with easy biking and quick access to some beautiful rural places. Good luck with your decision.

San Antonio, Texas and Steamboat Springs, Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    Austin would meet most of his criteria, except that it's one of the most expensive places to live in Texas. Traffic is horrid there, too. But they do have a wonderful music scene (though bluegrass is not anywhere near the top of the list).
    Austin actually has a pretty big bluegrass scene, with tons of jams, and there's a lot of Irish music, as well. Just hang around Fiddler's Green music shop and ask around. They'll be able to tell you what's going on. The problems you'll have with Austin are 1) it isn't all that affordable, although it might be cheap by San Francisco standards; and 2) even if you think it would be interesting to live someplace hot, you should know that Austin is more than hot, and broiling temperatures last 6 months out of the year. Winters can be nice, though.

Colorado is a good place to be, but if you're anywhere but the Front Range, jams can be spotty. There are plenty of small towns here with really great bluegrass scenes and jams, and there are others that aren't so hot. I'm in Steamboat, and although we have tons of live bluegrass music and bands, there aren't many formal jams. There are lots of people to play music with, though, if you find them. Road biking and mountain biking are huge here, too.

I haven't been to Asheville lately, but based on everything I've read, and on what friends who live around there have told me, its scene is really really good. I wouldn't mind living there for a bit or visiting for a few weeks, myself!

Good luck!
    2005 Collings MT #1045
    2011 Fletcher Brock OM #130