Thread: Looking for a decent beginner mandolin

Default Looking for a decent beginner mandolin

I am wanting to find a decent beginner mandolin, one that would be of at least enough quality to be able to play in tune. I've played guitar for many years, and have acoustic and electric 6 and 12 string guitars that I regularly play.

I've seen the Ibanez M510E, which is in the price range that I want to start looking in, but don't know how well it's made. It's not exactly what I want, as I would prefer the F style instead.

What I would like is:
    1. F style mandolin
    2. with electric pickup
    3. truss rod
    4. adjustable saddle
    5. price below $350-$400 (preferably more in line with the M510E).

Of what I have read, the biggest gripes are with beginner ones not staying in tune because of tuners (which can probably be fixed), or the intonation is not adjustable & the action is crappy. I know that is my biggest gripe with a travel guitar that I have.

I have adjusted my expectations to know that I'm not going to get a $10K sound from a $250 instrument. I play strictly for my own enjoyment. Of the items above, the one thing I would sacrifice would be the pickup, although it would be a nice-to-have feature.

Can anyone make recommendations for any particular brand that's a decent quality beginner mandolin? I've checked the classifieds here, but have only seen higher end items, or ones that aren't what I'm looking for. Would appreciate any input.

Default Re: Looking for a decent beginner mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by steve_o View Post

What I would like is:
    1. F style mandolin
    2. with electric pickup
    3. truss rod
    4. adjustable saddle

I don't know about electrics in acoustic F style ...most of what's out there is junk construction in that price zone, assuming you don't want a solid body electric ..so I'd probably buy something like a Kentucky KM 160 for $300-$350 …from someone who'll set it up properly, not a box store …pay a little extra. You end up with a decent intermediate mandolin you'll keep. Add the p/up later and stay away from a banger that will suck to listen to and play
    Last edited by mtucker; May-08-2014 at 4:08pm.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

What I would like is:
    1. F style mandolin
    2. with electric pickup
    3. truss rod
    4. adjustable saddle
    There's a bit of confusion here, as you're asking for a recommendation on a $350-$400 F model by referencing a $200 A model. As you probably know from your acoustic guitar experience, solid woods are generally preferred to the laminates found on that Ibanez, and if any of those electrics are archtops, then you might also know that hand carved instruments are preferred to pressed ones. If the goal is to get a decent quality beginner mandolin to play strictly for your own enjoyment, most here would advise you to forgo the costly pickup and the decorative scroll and find a solid wood A model like the Rover RM-50 http://www.elderly.com/new_instrumen...olin--RM50.htm or even better the Kentucky KM-150 http://www.elderly.com/new_instrumen...in--KM150S.htm also offered as part of a starter bundle http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/DEAL4.htm.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Here's a little more info on the Kentucky. Scroll down to post #4, I think the KM160 may be worth the few extra bucks, including a better top and tuners, which is why I selected it.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...entucky-km-160

Bark first, Bite later Steve Zawacki's Avatar

....What I would like is:
    1. F style mandolin
    2. with electric pickup
    3. truss rod
    4. adjustable saddle

From the list and the OP's comments the list seem IMHO to be prioritized as the following:
    1. Price below $350-450. This may be doable for a used F-style, and definitely for a decent A-style.
    2. F-style mandolin.. If the idea that this is a beginner mandolin and a better one is in the future, then image means more than the sound, and image comes with a higher price. Still doable for #1, but the choices are slim.
    3. Adjustable saddle. Not a problem, as almost every arch-top will be so equipped. Even if the bridge has to be replaced, that's a few dollar issue.
    4. Truss rod. If the OP plans to use heavy strings, having the strongest neck possible makes sense. If the plan is to use strings meant by the maker for that mandolin, this could be a non-issue. Guitar necks and mandolin necks see different stress levels, so applying "guitar logic" here may be overkill.
    5. With electric pickup.. Unless the mandolin is an electric (MandoBird, etc.), most pickups I've noticed are not very sharp. A piezo pickup can always be added for a few dollars as an experiment, but good pickups and preamps don't come cheap.

So, my humble analysis sees a used The Loar 520 as a possibility, but finding one may take some effort. If the OP can compromise on the criteria in any way, choices multiply.
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zawacki View Post
    So, my humble analysis sees a used The Loar 520 as a possibility, but finding one may take some effort. If the OP can compromise on the criteria in any way, choices multiply.
    At the top of the budget: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/74892
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

The KM-150 was my first mandolin and it's served me well ever since. As someone who was heartset on getting an F-style mandolin right off the bat, I have to say it's best to get some mandolin chops on an A-style then upgrade to an F on your second or third instrument. Good A's in your price range are the Kentucky KM-150 to the KM-250, the Loar LM-220, LM-290-VSM, or LM-170-VSM (if it's out yet?).

Good luck!
    ~David Chernack

2003 Lawrence Smart A5 #145
    2011 Kentucky KM-1000
    2010 Kentucky KM-150
    1961 Silvertone 3/4 octave mandolin conversion
    2015 Eastman E20D

I bought a Rover RM 75 f style from Elderly for $405, that was with the 10% discount and free shipping.

I bought the Rover to compare the feel to my Eastman 505 which is an a style. The Eastman is of better quality so it does sound better, but the Rover has a deeper tone which I like very much. The Rover sounds much better than The Loar 400 I bought and returned to another store.

So I have 2 different style mandolins that I paid just over $1000 for. I do think I like the style for the feel, but now I'm not sure if I like the radius or flat fretboard better.

Forgot to add the A in the style I like.....I like the a style better :-)

That is a difficult set of parameters. {Insert obligatory "get an A model" suggestion here}

How about this, sticking with new stuff:

Rover RM-75 F Model Solid Handcarved Mandolin - $385

Piezo Contact Microphone Pickup for Guitar Violin Banjo Mandolin Ukulele - $5

You could add this preamp:

Behringer ADI21 V-Tone Acoustic - $30

and be just a hair over your budget, ~$420.

You would have a cheap, but all solid wood, F-model mandolin and a really cheap pickup with a preamp. None of the items are great, but they meet all the criteria. I imagine that with a good setup it would be a serviceable setup, certainly much better sounding, in most cases[1], than the linked Ibanez.

I was in a band with a guy who played the Rover RM-75 for quite a while. He was a really great picker, but just did not have the money to spring for a nicer mandolin. So he made do with that Rover for a long while, and he made it sound pretty good.

[1] - If you are going to be playing in a band with a drummer that Ibanez, or something similar, might be not be a bad choice.

I think that is why I like to Rover RM 75 from Elderly. It had a great set up and is easy to play.

I have no personal experience with being around someone who could really play a high end mandolin well, so the Rover sounds ok to me.

I really have no preference in styles of music, heck I'm happy when someone tells me, hey that kinda sounds like a song:-)

I've got a beginner's mandolin in the Classifieds...

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/75977