Thread: Classical Mandolin Solo performed on Leon & Healy style mandolin

Blog Entries

Default Classical Mandolin Solo performed on Leon & Healy style mandolin

I have posted this vid link which showcases me performing on my Leon and Healy style mandolin recently built by Australian luthier Peter Coombe.

This is a dance which was inspired by experiences at the 2014 FAME classical mandolin fest in Melbourne Australia. FAME / Federation of Australasian Mandolin Ensembles.
    I live in New Zealand and play with the Auckland Mandolinata.

Link: http://youtu.be/GsvBNPAxATc

A copy and paste into You Tube should find it, or a classical mandolin solo search

Thanks
    Lloyd

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kiwi Picker For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Classical Mandolin Solo performed on Leon & Healy style mandolin

Hi,

I have uploaded this vid of me performing on my new Classical model mandolin built by Peter Coombe.
    I know a number of people in this forum followed the long process of research and construction of this instrument.
    I have played an original and this feels very much the same. It is bliss to play, and you get sweet ringing notes high up the neck. Tomastic Mediums 54 do the trick here.

Thank you Peter and all the many people who contributed to the final production of this fine instrument.

Thanks
    Lloyd

Link http://youtu.be/GsvBNPAxATc
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; May-06-2014 at 5:37pm. Reason: Threads combined. No need to post multiple discussions with the same content please.

Default Re: Classical Mandolin Solo performed on Leon & Healy style mando

FWIW it is Lyon and Healy.
    Bill Snyder

Blog Entries

Yeah Thanks Bill. I don't seem to be able to edit my spelling error.

Cheers
    Lloyd

6. The following members say thank you to Kiwi Picker for this post:

Nice Lloyd... I embedded it here for you. I play an original Leon... errrrr... Lyon & Healy with the short scale. I would love to compare with your Coombe. Too bad we are so far away.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

That is a beautiful mandolin, thank you for posting it!

I kind of like "Leon and Healy"

Quote Originally Posted by stever1422 View Post
    I kind of like "Leon and Healy"
    Could be cartoon characters who play mandolins.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Nice Lloyd... I embedded it here for you. I play an original Leon... errrrr... Lyon & Healy with the short scale. I would love to compare with your Coombe. Too bad we are so far away.

Thanks for that Jim. Yes, I was worried about playing the short scale after playing an F style in bluegrass but I really like the short scale.

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Just for the record, it is not a short scale. The scale length is 13 & 3/4 inches, the same as the early Lyon and Healy style A mandolins on which it is based. Gibson used 13 & 7/8 inches, so it is 1/8" shorter which does make a small but noticeable difference. The short scale Lyon and Healy/Washburn mandolins have a 13" scale length which makes a really big difference to the sound and the way the neck feels. To me it feels cramped, but I am used to the long scale so would take some getting used to. I now have an original short scale L&H, so the next project is to make another symmetric long scale as well as an asymmetric short scale. There are quite a few differences between the symmetric and asymmetric L&H which are not obvious unless you have them side by side, so the asymmetric is close to making a different instrument. The short scale L&H have a very interesting sound, but it is not as loud or as open as the long scale. Hopefully I can improve on the volume and openness of the short scale, or at least that is what I am hoping. The instrument that Lloyd is playing certainly does sound louder, clearer, and more open than the original L&H on which it is based. It is difficult to capture that in amateur recordings where you don't have the advantage of expensive high quality microphones and proper acoustic environment of a professional studio.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peter.coombe View Post
    Just for the record, it is not a short scale. The scale length is 13 & 3/4 inches, the same as the early Lyon and Healy style A mandolins on which it is based. Gibson used 13 & 7/8 inches, so it is 1/8" shorter which does make a small but noticeable difference. The short scale Lyon and Healy/Washburn mandolins have a 13" scale length which makes a really big difference to the sound and the way the neck feels. To me it feels cramped, but I am used to the long scale so would take some getting used to. I now have an original short scale L&H, so the next project is to make another symmetric long scale as well as an asymmetric short scale. There are quite a few differences between the symmetric and asymmetric L&H which are not obvious unless you have them side by side, so the asymmetric is close to making a different instrument. The short scale L&H have a very interesting sound, but it is not as loud or as open as the long scale. Hopefully I can improve on the volume and openness of the short scale, or at least that is what I am hoping. The instrument that Lloyd is playing certainly does sound louder, clearer, and more open than the original L&H on which it is based. It is difficult to capture that in amateur recordings where you don't have the advantage of expensive high quality microphones and proper acoustic environment of a professional studio.
    Yes good points Peter. I used a Rhode professional mike on my camera and tried the best I could. I do own a Rhode N1 and a good Fostex 8 track so for my next outing I would like to record the audio and video separately. Usually in the studio I use the Rhode some distance from the sound hole and have an AKG right up at the bridge, and then mix the two. The video thing is a new venture for me. Never the less, I think your instrument sounds really great.
    Cheers

Hey Peter, maybe Lloyd has a good idea: the long scale symmetrical can be Long & Highly and the short scale asymmetrical can be the Lean & Holey... or something like that.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Blog Entries

Hey Peter, maybe Lloyd has a good idea: the long scale symmetrical can be Long & Highly and the short scale asymmetrical can be the Lean & Holey... or something like that.
    Hey Jim,
    I see your a man with a sense of humour. I believe you have some serious marketing skills.
    I just might get Peter to build me a Lean and Holey- could be just the ticket!

Good on ya mate.

Yes, keep up the good work, Lloyd. You have a perfect name for a mandolin player. BTW can you talk a bit about the piece you are playing?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Blog Entries

Yes, keep up the good work, Lloyd. You have a perfect name for a mandolin player. BTW can you talk a bit about the piece you are playing?
    I have written instrumental music in the past, guitar based and had some success getting radio play down here in New Zealand, CD distribution etc. I am new to classical mandolin having come from a Martin D28 guitar to a Loar F5 Mando to a classical mandolin, all from a bluegrass background. That makes me one of those, "cross over" guys and when writing this piece I had to be careful not to put too many slides, pull offs and bluesy / bluegrass stuff in there.

The virtuoso performance on mandolin that really got me excited was at a festival last January in Melbourne where I heard Merissa Caroll playing with Joel Woods. You will no doubt have come across them on the net. (PlettroMano)

Thanks for your interest Jim

Yes, I have seen Marissa Carroll at least in her videos. It was her playing that got me to finally relent and put Thomastiks on my L&H.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: