Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nickel Creek - 2014 Tour Setlist

Default Re: Nickel Creek - 2014 Tour Setlist

I saw 84 Dead shows '82-'95. I've still got aways to go to catch up with NC-related, but between NC, Watkins Family Hour, Sara solo, WPA, Thile solo, Thile-Marshall, Thile-Meyer, Thile-Daves, Goat Rodeo, How to Grow a Band, and Punch Brothers I'm probably about halfway there.

Don't forget Sean's solo albums . . . some nice mandolin on them.

Quite pleased with what they can get out of four acoustical instruments - even in comparison to the same songs done on the new album with percussion. Love the Sarah look with the black thick rimmed glasses peering out through the long blond hair over that mean fiddle - and the great voice. I also hadn't noticed how tall Thile was til he got on stage with the Watkins. Funny, I don't remember him being that tall.

Don't miss the open by Secret Sisters if you even think you might enjoy a very strong female vocal pairing. Powerfully good.
    I saw Homer & Jethro once. This mandolin therapy isn't helping me get over it.

'04 Andersen A (for keeps)
    Amateur Gibson F copy (for travel)
    Santa Rosa student model A (for the neighbor kids)

Quote Originally Posted by devildog View Post
    Don't forget Sean's solo albums . . . some nice mandolin on them.
    Also Sean's "Fiction Family" project - 2 albums so far, with some of the best pop songs written these days. I mean that sincerely; songs like "Not Sure" and "Elements Combined" top a lot of Nickle Creek songs, IMO. And I'm a NC fan, like most here.

Got tickets for the Dallas show. Sarah Jarosz opening - should be awesome.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Was at the LA show last night. Last show of the tour. They absolutely ROCKED! The energy from the audience was almost palpable. It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a concert that much!

I was at the San Diego show two nights ago and they put on a great performance as well. The feeling of home-coming for them was very much in the air, and the audience was highly enthusiastic. I am not familiar with much of their older materials, so I can't name all the tunes that were on the set list. But the instrumental tune on which Chris played a Flatiron OM brought down the house and was one of the most memorable highlights for me.

And yeah, the Secret Sisters were just great, and they made a new fan out of me.

I too was at the LA Show...they knocked it out of the park!! Not as close to the action as Shaun...must have been amazing on the floor next to the stage!

Quote Originally Posted by Clement Barrera-Ng View Post
    But the instrumental tune on which Chris played a Flatiron OM brought down the house and was one of the most memorable highlights for me.
    That would be "The Smoothie Song."

I was at the L.A. show as well, at the first railing. Show was great, but IMO the audience enthusiasm was a little too over the top. I had several people near me who would scream at what I consider inappropriate times (at the end of a verse) and one guy made my left eardrum hurt with a couple of his screams.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolino maximus View Post
    I also hadn't noticed how tall Thile was til he got on stage with the Watkins. Funny, I don't remember him being that tall.
    He's not really all that tall, it's just that Sean and Sara are *really* short.

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    That would be "The Smoothie Song."
    Yup that was it. Thanks Jeff!

We were there at the LA show too, in the first row of the balcony - yeah, the crowd went wild, screaming, nuts. I love watching NC live. From our perch, Mr. Thile's Loar sounded like it was EQ'd way too bright, but I loved hearing him anyway. I was close enough to view the Loar's new scratch thru our binoculars. And how about that lighting rig? Vari-lites? Smoke Machines? Whoa.
    Annette & Lowell, I looked around for you, but that was a large crowd.
    Patrick Melly

AKA Billgrass

Caught the LA show too. My take away is that the tunes come across even better with an audience. I agreed the Loar was eq'ed for another species. But none the less the performance was really wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Melly View Post
    We were there at the LA show too, in the first row of the balcony - yeah, the crowd went wild, screaming, nuts. I love watching NC live. From our perch, Mr. Thile's Loar sounded like it was EQ'd way too bright, but I loved hearing him anyway. I was close enough to view the Loar's new scratch thru our binoculars. And how about that lighting rig? Vari-lites? Smoke Machines? Whoa.
    Annette & Lowell, I looked around for you, but that was a large crowd.
    Hey there Patrick! I know what you mean about the packed house...the Wiltern holds about 2,000 people. : ) Nowell & I thought the sound (not just Thile's Loar) but all instruments were very bright and the vocals a bit over-driven ...that might've been the sound guy or an older sound system set up at the Wiltern. But great concert all-n-all!

The San Diego show at Balboa was awesome! I got some last minute tickets dead center in the orchestra pit for me and my lady... great time. I didn't know who the were the first time I saw them, which was their last tour apparently, but this time around I've been listening to Thile a bunch more. I started listening to Nickel Creek again a few days before the show and I gotta say, their new stuff is much better than the old.

One thing I really liked was the lighting. They had a whole bunch of lights setup behind them and every so often when Thile walked over to Sara to jam, the light hit them just right and their shadows danced on the wall in blazing red. It was one of my favorite non-musical aspects of a concert I can remember in a long while....

Saw the show at the Beacon - Thile is a rock star - his singing goes from great to amazing...

Got to see Nickel Creek perform at Telluride. Amazing set, though the encore wasn't as long. Pretty sure Dave Sinko handled sound for that: excellent balance across instruments and vocals. As for "The Fox," I think everyone in the crowd lost in when they started. Nothing like a couple thousand people singing alone and dancing around :P

I managed to snag presale tickets for the late summer tour stop in Mesa, AZ. Just can't get enough of these guy. Inspiring performers and genuinely lovely people to meet and talk with.
    Kimble #220
    R. Taylor Style 2 Sinker Redwood/Madagascar Rosewood

I saw them at the Ryman back in April. Loved every minute!

I've tabbed a few Thile/Nickel Creek songs, including, "love of mine", "jessamyn's reel", and "Adagio" BWV 1001. If anyone is interested in learning them, p.m and i will send the tabulature to you! :D