Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Case

Default Mandolin Case

I'm Building A Stromberg type mandolin For myself & wanting to build my own case. Has there ever been a thread on building a mandolin case. I'm going to build it out of curly maple that has a bookmatched top & back with finger joint construction. Here is a pic of the mandolin under construction. Thanks to Graham Mcdonald for the picteres to get me started.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020822.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	118634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020829.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	118635

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Les Corley For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Mandolin Case

Les,

Sounds like you're planning a case that's more like a fine wooden chest than a traditional instrument case. There are some beautiful walnut or mahogany violin cases from the 1800's that could be inspirational. They're easy enough to find with a web search. If you want help with traditional style case building look on my Vintage Case page: http://www.stevekirtley.org/caserepair.htm. We've also discussed case construction on the Vintage Case Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vint...strumentcases/

Steve

The mandolin looks great! How about cutting out rigid polystyrene (pink) foam inserts on the bandsaw and then covering with fabric. Then you can make whatever box you want for the instrument.

Les - That mandolin is simply amazing !. I don't know what a 'Stromberg' type mandolin is,but it sounds like another word for edible,it really is a stunner.
    Over the (almost) 9 years i've been on here,there have been countless threads re.cases & the 'pros & cons' thereof,much of it to do with the instrument's safety within the case. Purely from my own reasoning :- Impact resistant padding has to 'absorb shock',& one of the way in which it can do it is by allowing the 'whatever' inside to displace the padding instead of hitting a semi-rigid area. It's for precisely that reason that highly fragile items are packed in Polystyrene (or similar) pieces, which will move & thereby absorb impact. In your 'case to come',i'd build into it,in the areas likely to be impacted in the event of being dropped,Polystyrene granule (or similar) filled 'cushions'. Simply make them as separate items that can be 'Velcro' fastened in specific places for removal & re-filling if required. If the instrument is dropped,the Pst. pieces will absorb the impact in a more effective way than foam on it's own. It's only an idea,but i think it would be very effective (IMHO),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

6. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Les - That mandolin is simply amazing !. I don't know what a 'Stromberg' type mandolin is,but it sounds like another word for edible,it really is a stunner.
    I think he means Stromberg-Voisinet, since he used the asymmetrical 2-point shape commonly found on mandolins built by that company. Of course the company later became Kay, and that silhouette is sometimes also known as the "KayKraft" style.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I have a Monteleone mandola from around 1985. John built the case for it from a gutted tenor sax case. He said the work on the interior took him almost as much time as the mandola -- and he did not build the outside.

Your mandolin looks wonderful and I assume that the case will also be a work of art. I look fwd to seeing more photos of both.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Dobe 

I'm headed to the music store to check out some cases & get some ideas, then going to check out different foams & fabric. Found a peice of curly maple 1x6x8' for 25.00 I resawed it & thicknessed it to 5/16th Now I have to figure out the deminsions. Where can I get the hardware? I don't want to go cheap on this one hopefully it will be a piece of art. If anyone has any suggestions please share I'm in no big rush I want it to be a one of a kind & just as beautiful on the inside as the outside Thanks for the suggestions.

Les, I had a mandolin and a case custom built for me in 1981 and the case was much as you describe yours, it was so heavy that I just had to junk it and get something lighter, of course everyone to their own choosing...My case was birds eye Maple and had my name inlaid on the top with ebony and it was just beautiful but way too heavy for me to lug around the festival grounds going from jam to jam....

Willie

Blog Entries

Brian Dean used a rectangular case and built in the foam padding to meet the shape of a Lyon and Healy Style A shaped mandolin he build me. Just get something that will hold the overall shape and modify it.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

13. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

I agree with those on the weight issue. My Monteleone case weighs as much as a dreadnaught guitar & case. If I took it out a lot I would get something lighter but just as protective.

Then again... this sounds like a creative woodworking project that you are looking fwd to -- so have a fun time.

As for the hardware:

Allparts or Ohio Travel Bag or JL Smith
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

It's on it's way here are a couple pics but it's hard to see the curl in the maple. It has a 3/16th mohogany strip around top & bottom, I'm going to have to stain it so the curl can be seen . It is 11"x30"x4 & the wood is 5/16th thick so it isn't overly heavy. I checked one out at the music store today & I don't think it's any heavier anyway I'll be the one carrying it so it does'nt matter. Thanks for the links Jim. I appreciate all the input.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020841.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	118712Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020842.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	118713

16. The following members say thank you to Les Corley for this post:

I would love to see more pics of the mandolin, Les. Nice work all around.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Les, There are 2 approaches to fitting out the inside of your case. One is to use traditional blocking as found on the old rectangular mandolin or violin cases. See an example of building these blocks in my Case Repair page: http://www.stevekirtley.org/caserepair.htm
    The other approach is to use blocks of padding covered with fabric. My preference would be to use cotton rather than foam, as foam will break down in time. Denim insulation could work, or look for upholstery padding.

Steve

19. The following members say thank you to Loudloar for this post:

I'll be using closed cell foam for the blocking & upholstery foam for the padding all covered in fabric of some type. Thanks for all the suggestions. Les

Blog Entries

You're a braver man than me Les.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Les - For handles,latches etc.,contact 'Brettuns Village' up in Maine.They carry everything you'll need (& more !) :-
    http://www.brettunsvillage.com/
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ivan thanks for the link thats an awsome site they have everything

I love this site! More fascinating tangents come with every project! Brettuns looks like one heck of a fun place!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Timothy - I've bought several items (mostly replacement handles) from Brettuns Village & the guy who runs the place has a seriously great sense of humor.That's one place i could spend several days looking around,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ivan, thanks for the link! The site is really interesting, they "sound" like it would be a wonderful place to wander around for a day!
    I used to do some leather work, cases for things mostly but never had access to this scope of material. I might have to do some new projects!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Here are some pic of the case & the mandolin. I put a cove molding around the top & bottom inside for strength & a mahogany 1/4 round on the outside for strength also. I used closed cell foam for the framework & soft foam for cushion. Gold crushed velvet lines the interior.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020845.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	118975Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020846.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	118976Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020849.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	118978Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020852.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	118979Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020851.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	118980Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020855.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	118981

Les: is the mandolin now strung up and finished. That case looks very nice but I as much (if not more) interested in that lovely-looking mandolin.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Jim I won't have the mandolin strung up until some time next week. I have no idea how this one is going to sound I have never built a canted top mandolin

I am impressed that you put off finding out how it will sound by building the case. I am not luthier (yet!) but I would be dying to play and hear it. Then again, you certainly have the woodworking chops. I look fwd to hearing more about the mandolin (and the case). They both look great!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Jim I was in the varnishing stage so I needed something to fill my void that's why I built the case. By the way it ended up being an 11 fret mandolin. I ended up with the same problem as a fellow cafe member, I had a picture blown up to what I thought was the proper size & not. And since I;m using a 0 fret plus the fact that I took a 13 7/8 scale fretboard & made the first fret the 0 fret that made it a 13.108 scale so with all these miscalculations I end up with a 11 fret mandolin which shouldn't effect the tone at all. I hope