Thread: Scordatura tuning for the mandolin

Blog Entries

Default Scordatura tuning for the mandolin

The Italian word "scordatura" means wrong tuning (or mis-tuning), -- one source called it "cross-tuning".

The cross tuning I now about is the "saw mill" or open tuning where the open strings on the instrument make a chord or at least a double stop like ADad or GCgc.

In classical music this tuning was used to make some pieces easier to play. Not certain how it was applied but I guess the music notation is re-witten then the player notes the pieces as one would normally do but the pitch will be different (corrected) because of the way the strings are tuned?

Anyway, in the course of this reading I came across this scordatura tuning where the inner two strings are exchange between the tail piece and the saddle (see pic) to give a G g D d.

So who has tried this for mandolin and why?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scodatura tuning.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	118273  
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Default Re: Scordatura tuning for the mandolin

Woah, check that out. I've never seen that before. Thanks for the post.
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

Blog Entries

I keep one mandolin is A cross tuning (AEAE), so as to avoid retuning. Some really cool old timey harmonies are possible, and switching up and down an octave is trivial.

I have been exploring calico tuning (AEAC#).

Here is a list of popular fiddle cross tunings that can be done on mandolin.

•a - d' - a' - e' ' (Old-Timey D Tuning)
    •a - e' - a' - e' ' (Cross Tuning, A tuning, Open A, High Bass, High Counter or High Tenor, for Breaking Up Christmas, Cluck Old Hen, Hangman's Reel, Horse and Buggy, and Ways of the World)
    •a - e' - a' - c# ' ' (A tuning, Black Mountain, Rag Tuning, Calico Tuning, Open A Tuning, or Drunken Hiccups Tuning)
    •a - e' - a' - d' ' (for Old Sledge, Silver Lake)
    •d - d' - a' - d' ' ("Dee-Dad", Dead Man's Tuning, D Tuning or Open D Tuning, for Bonaparte's Retreat)
    •e - d' - a' - e' ' (for Glory in the Meeting House)
    •e - e' - a' - e' ' (for Get up in the Cool)
    •f ' - c' - g' - d' ' (Cajun Tuning)
    •g - d' - a' - d' ' {"Gee-Dad" or G Tuning)
    •g - d' - a' - e' ' (Italian tuning or That 'Ole Eye-talian tuning - the standard violin tuning!)
    •g - d' - g' - b' (Open G Tuning)
    •g - d' - g' - d' ' (Sawmill Tuning)

Bill Monroe used some tunings where he split the unisons. Really cool sound.
    Last edited by JeffD; Apr-20-2014 at 2:17pm.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    In classical music this tuning was used to make some pieces easier to play. Not certain how it was applied but I guess the music notation is re-witten then the player notes the pieces as one would normally do but the pitch will be different (corrected) because of the way the strings are tuned?
    Yea its confusing - do you play as written (with traditional finger positions based on the dots) regardless of what comes out, or do you play the tones the dots represent, regardless of where on your alternately tuned instrument you have to put your fingers.

I think it more often the latter, though I think both have been done.

I don't think it was done to make anything easier. It was done for a specific sound. To make the fiddles louder for example. In one piece Mozart had the violas tune up a tone. They had to play the same pitches, which would be in different positions on the strings, but with more string tension the volume was increased a bit.

In the fiddle tune world, I have most often seen the dots of standard notation represent the pitches you need to achieve, regardless of where you have to put your fingers to do it. This is an instance where tab is useful to me.

The entire staff
    funny....

In the fiddle world... well... what Jeff said. You get a different resonance from cross tuning.

I am not sure what that photo shows, Bernie. Even if the inner two strings were swapped and I am not sure what the purpose of crossing them at the tailpiece would be except to confuse yourself.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Scordatura, is not a tuning per se, but a notational "device." Rather than notating the alternately tuned strings at the pitches they are now sounding, they are notated at the pitches that would sound as if the strings were tuned "normally", and the player just follows that as the guide to where to place the fingers. At the head of the page would be instructions as to how the instrument is to be tuned.

There are some other ways to notate instrument specific alternate tunings. One way is that the (true) pitches on the retuned strings will have a differently-shaped note head (square or diamond, etc), possibly with a fingering as well. For example, in an AEae tuning, the open bottom string would be notated with a square-head "A" on the staff, probably with an o to remind you that it is an open string. (in "as if" scordatura, it would be notated as a 'G'

Marion Thede's The Fiddle Book (Oak) a collection of old-time tunes collected in the mid-west, has all the cross-tuned tunes notated in both "true pitch" and "sounds as follows" scordatura. Norwegian hardingfele collections probably do something similar. I can't recall, if some of open tuned stuff in Tom Anderson's collection of Shetland tunes (Ringing Strings) were notated scordatura or not.

IMO, 'notating' various/multiple tunings on a specific (stringed) instrument, is one place tablature is superior to standard notation. It's the easiest way for the player of that instrument to read/play tunes in various open and cross tunings.

Niles H

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    In the fiddle world... well... what Jeff said. You get a different resonance from cross tuning.

I am not sure what that photo shows, Bernie. Even if the inner two strings were swapped and I am not sure what the purpose of crossing them at the tailpiece would be except to confuse yourself.
    It is a poor photo because they did not include the nut. But I think this would just move the A-string on the nut next to the G and then it it would be dropped two semi-tones to g -- and the D-string is now placed next to the E which it turn is dropped to two semi tones to d (GgDd) What you can do with that I am not sure.

I'm also wondering why wouldn't you have problems with the string not matching the slot in the nut then?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandocrucian View Post
    Marion Thede's The Fiddle Book (Oak) a collection of old-time tunes collected in the mid-west, has all the cross-tuned tunes notated in both "true pitch" and "sounds as follows" scordatura.
    I forgot about that. Yes. Thede's book was my first tune book, way back there.

The entire staff
    funny....

To play Arabic music Violins are tuned GDgd. Everyone I know in Egypt that plays Arabic tunes it this way.
    I have never seen crossing strings
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

Blog Entries

GDGD is G cross or sawmill tuning. I do that sometimes as well. It is easier on the mandolin because one brings the pitch of the high strings down.

I did not know it was used in Arabic music.

I would suggest that any serious explorations into cross tunings be done on a second mandolin, that you leave cross tuned. It reduces wear and tear on the instruments. It allows the "cross" instrument to settle into its unusual tuning, while not disturbing the constant settling in of the standard tuned instrument.

It has nothing to do with justifying the purchase of another mandolin.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Anyway, in the course of this reading I came across this scordatura tuning where the inner two strings are exchange between the tail piece and the saddle (see pic) to give a G g D d.
    That's for Biber's "Resurrection". Someday I'll try that tuning. Someday...

I love to cross-tune fiddle. I use scordatura on mandolin some, but not as much, because twice the work. I like it for the drone notes and sympathetic vibrations.
    "Be kind to the band; they never get to dance"