Thread: Gibson A9 and Pava Sounds Comparison

Default Gibson A9 and Pava Sounds Comparison

Has anyone compared the sound of these directly and if so how might you describe the difference? Not which is better, just how they differ.

I'm thinking seriously about a Pava.

Thanks.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Default Re: Gibson A9 and Pava Sounds Comparison

Different voicings...what kind of music do you play?

You could play any style with either. As it should the A9/F9s that I have played had that "Gibsonesque" tonal character, probably better suited to playing "Monroe Style" mandolin; but as I said you could play anything with either. Can't go wrong either way...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Nick's point is well put and well worth consideration. That said, as a Pava owner I may be a bit biased - and with all deference to A9 owners everywhere - but I would also argue that the two are not in the same class, with the scale tipping a bit in Pava's favor. And certainly there are a bit of a price difference even when considering both of them in the used market.

In any case, I love my Pava, and if I have to descrie the sound, I'd say it is a bit more modern than traditional to my ear. If you are in the Bay Area, I'd recommend contacting Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz and see if they still have some in stock Last I checked they have 3, and I think you owe it to yourself to make the drive down there and test drive them.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Pick View Post
    Has anyone compared the sound of these directly and if so how might you describe the difference? Not which is better, just how they differ. I'm thinking seriously about a Pava.
    I've played a Gibson F9 and own a Pava. My best analogy would be that the Gibson is weighted more to the G string, like a rear wheel drive muscle car, whereas the Pava is more centered on the A and D strings like a mid-engined European sports car. The time to buy a Pava is now, as the prices are rising, and there are originally priced Satin models here http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/75173 and here http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/74639 as well as an attractively priced used Pro model for not much more here: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/72129.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I basically agree with all of the above (and must admit I have never played a Pava).

BUT the only mandolin I regret selling is a Gibson A-9...

So if you are comparing BRANDS I would totally go with the Pava, but if you have 2 specific INSTRUMENTS to compare I would go with the one you think sounds best to you.
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

6. The following members say thank you to dang for this post:

Thanks everyone, great descriptions and very helpful. Sounds like they are different enough that I need to compare them directly. There are those nice satins in the classifieds that are tempting, and maybe I should get down to Sylvan and check those out.

Maybe keep them both. I have to say for the money my A9 is simply amazing, wish it didn't have the narrow frets but that can change. Maybe the satin A9 and a satin Pava? Was shootin' to back to one mando, but, well, you know. . .

Hi Luna. I can confirm that Sylvan still has 3 Pavas in stock. I played them all quite a bit before eventually buying my Pava last year, and still check them out when I'm in the area. Each is a little different - together they should give you a really good sense of what Pava is producing. There's one with a blonde finish that sounds especially good to my ears. Why they haven't sold is beyond me.

If you want to hear a well-played Pava, I work in SF. Feel free to shoot me a message.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    ...whereas the Pava is more centered on the A and D strings like a mid-engined European sports car.
    I pretty much agree-- except I probably would have said that a Pava (or, rather MY Pava at least) is pretty darned balanced thru all strings. It actually amazes me. And, the sustain of the Pava is almost magical. I suppose that could be a negative to some... I absolutely do not know how Tom Ellis' shop can continue to make these at even the new, higher prices.