Thread: AKG D5's to the rescue

Blog Entries

Default AKG D5's to the rescue

We played a very difficult room last night. Stone floor. Hard walls. No curtains. No carpets. Room about 90 feet long x 24 feet wide. Knew it was going to be difficult in advance... allowed extra time for setup and sound checks, which was good, because I needed it! Used a single Fishman SA220 and the small Soundcraft EFX-8 mixer. Instruments included guitars, fiddle, mandolin, plus vocals. Audio Technica ATM-350 on the fiddle, and while normally easy to get that set, in the empty room before the show, even that was trickier than usual. In a good room we use Audix VX-5 vocal mics, but those were a non-starter in there. Martin OM-42 via UST into a Fishman Aura Spectrum was fine. On mandolin and unplugged acoustic guitar I normally use a Shure SM94 or Beta 27, but in that room... no way. Instant feedback hell. Tried a Beyer M-201 (normally very good in places the others have issues), still problems. Beta-57A.... same. Fortunately I had bought all four of the D5's we have along, just in case, and rigged one over the fiddle, put one of mandolin and unplugged guitar (I was using the old 'Bil Clifton' '67 Martin D-35), and had two running on vocals. That did it - we got good levels and had minimal problems with feedback all night. Although advertised as a 'vocal' mic, the D5's sounded more than acceptable on guitar, mandolin, and fiddle and saved the day on this occasion. I ended up muting the ATM-350 on the fiddle and just using the D5. The fiddle player was very happy with the overall tone (and volume) he could achieve. We've been using D5's (started off with one about 5 years ago) and gradually added others. They proved (again) last night what a very useful mic they are to carry with you, even if you normally use something else. The only other mic I have used that is this feedback resistant is the Audix OM-7, and I don't like that on instruments much at all. It also costs substantially more than the D5's too.....

Excellent mics, and real problem solvers.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Default Re: AKG D5's to the rescue

Great review; I really like the D5 as a vocal mic (I have six of them now), but it's good to hear that they work well as an emergency instrument mic as well. Must give this a try...
    Tim Mundy
    www.slipperyhill.co.uk
    2002 Gibson F5 Fern
    1920 Gibson A2
    2005 Gibson A5L
    Rigel A+ Deluxe Custom
    1926 Gibson TB1 Tenor Banjo
    1963 Epiphone TF28 Tenor Guitar
    Ovation MM868 Mandocello
    1987 Rob Armstrong Mandolinetto

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Thanks almneriastrings I am an AKG fan myself and have been wondering about this model. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

D=dynamic type mic, right? C=condenser. in the AKG line.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Dynamic hypercardiod with a very interesting laminate 'Varimotion' diaphragm.

http://timbestonline.com/archives/fbid/index.html

As with all super/hypercardiod mics, the performers do need to learn how to use them properly. There is not much 'wriggle room' as their off axis rejection is so steep. You have to stay on top of them and learn how to 'focus' them on the precise part of the instrument's 'sweet spot'. They are not the ultimate best mic in all cases, but if you are in a tight corner (literally!) in a lousy room, they can be a real life saver. I think they sound pretty good, and their feedback rejection is right up there with the very best I've ever experienced. A very useful tool.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

garded

thanks a bunch.

Always good to get tips like that, especially in live sound. Some rooms seem impossible.

And doing a quick search Amazon had them for $75ea. That's pretty reasonable in my book. Would love to hear one, so I'll keep my eye out like in GC?

You can never have too many mics

Great build quality as well. I've used them for several years now, never had any problems. They stand up to road use even better than my SM58s.

Old thread, but great price for the next couple days at Sweetwater. Love these mics, may just need to grab an extra.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...cal-microphone

9. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    Dynamic hypercardiod with a very interesting laminate 'Varimotion' diaphragm.

http://timbestonline.com/archives/fbid/index.html

As with all super/hypercardiod mics, the performers do need to learn how to use them properly. There is not much 'wriggle room' as their off axis rejection is so steep. You have to stay on top of them and learn how to 'focus' them on the precise part of the instrument's 'sweet spot'. They are not the ultimate best mic in all cases, but if you are in a tight corner (literally!) in a lousy room, they can be a real life saver. I think they sound pretty good, and their feedback rejection is right up there with the very best I've ever experienced. A very useful tool.
    How does it compare with the OM2 from audix ? Both are hypercarotid. Does the OM do just as good with feedback rejection?
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Thanks Josh for reviving this thread. I picked up a new AKG D5 from zZounds for $41, free 2-day shipping!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    How does it compare with the OM2 from audix ? Both are hypercarotid. Does the OM do just as good with feedback rejection?
    The OM2 has a much lower level output (1.6mV/Pa) vs. the D5 at 2.6mV/Pa. For general use (and especially if you ever need to use it with instruments) the D5 is much more usable. The OM2 might be preferred for rock vocals in a very loud stage environment... but unless you want to be 'kissing' the mic continually, the D5 is much more forgiving.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

13. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Astro 

I paused and missed the black friday deal. The price dropped to half and now its back up to around 90 bucks. if it drops again, I wont wait next time. Thanks for this post.

Now I play with lots of different local musicians depending on who is available for a gig and how much the venue will support. There are very few "real bands" for local gigs as most do this flex band model now. Problem is, some come with good mics and cables, and some dont. So now I've found myself needing to have a mic and cable at the ready for everyone in the band. So the D5 sounds perfect for me to pick up a couple of work horses for whoever needs them at a nominal cost. If I can get them for 45 bucks again.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Blog Entries

Look out also for the excellent EV PL80a.... quite similar to the D5 in may ways... another great dynamic mic that is highly versatile. A very nice alternative to the Beta 58....
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

16. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Astro