Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: So I bought a Blue Chip pick-my impressions

Default Re: So I bought a Blue Chip pick-my impressions

Just got my TAD60 in the mail yesterday. Too soon for a real assessment but my initial impression is that it feels better to hold, has a better evenness of tone and glide all over the neck and has a sweeter tone than my other favorites. I'm glad I got it.
    Blow on, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny60 View Post
    OK, I'll bite. My current fave mando pick is a V-Pick Saga, which is a large-ish triangle and quite thick (not sure of the exact thickness). It's not the loudest pick I have (which is a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4mm) but the tone is sweeter than the Wegen's and the grip is much better. People talk about the Wegens being really grippy, but find it quite the opposite.

Anyway, would a Blue Chip sound better than a Saga? (I realise that sound is subjective).
    I play a slightly thicker version of the Wegen TF140 (1.8mm) and I agree that it is not the best grip I have ever used. I have become used to it but the Blue Chip has a significantly better grip as does the V-Pick. As far as sound is concerned, that is very subjective. Blue Chip is certainly different than V-Pick, but "better" depends on your taste. I have tried at least a half dozen V-Picks and don't like the sound from any of them. I love the thicker triangular Wegens as long as it doesn't have a bevel and I love the feel and tone from the 3 Blue Chips that I have tried.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Well,

I've just borrowed 2 Blue Chips from a friend who's letting me try them out for a couple of days. All I can is that I'm gonna buy one!

He's lent my a TD35 and a TPR 45. The TD (typical teardrop shape) is just stunning on my D28 dread. It brings out a really gorgeous "bell-like" clear ringing tone. It's slightly thinner that what I'd normally use, so might go for a TD 40. Anyway, it's a superb guitar pick, but does sound a little "thin" on my mando...

On mando, the TPR 45 blows my V-Pick Saga clean out of the water in terms of tone and the total absence of "clickiness". I do like the Saga and the Wegen, and have been happy to use them both, but the Saga does have a lot of chirp and the Wegen I find to be a bit slippy to hold. The Blue Chip is just stunning - it's crystal clear on the notes, no muddiness, and is very grippy.

Two other things with both these Blue Chips. One is that they feel lovely - smooth as silk, yet so easy to grip without being sticky (much like the V-Picks in this area). The other thing is that my friend has had both these picks for over a year and there's no visible wear on them!

I'm sold!

I need to find a buddy to borrow one from. It might just put me over the edge on the whole premium pick thing.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I've been grabbing my TD35 a lot, even though it is quite a bit lighter than what I'm used to. It's great for strumming the guitar.

I bought a CT55. I must say, I'm impressed with it. I really like the speed bevel.

I've drunk the Kool-Aid on the BC CT55 as my go-to pick for the mando but I've had occasion to play my guitar again quite a bit over the last couple of months and dang(!) if the best pick I've come across is my old D'Andrea Pro Plec 1.5mm 351-shape pick. I've compared the PP 1.5 346-shape against the CT55 for mando and it doesn't quite do it, but I actually find the PP 351-shape preferable to the BC large jazz custom that has been my go-to pick for guitar for a long time now. Those PP's are a buck apiece and it's just too bad that the PP 346-shape doesn't do the same job on mando as the PP 351-shape does on guitar! Close, but no cigar.

Blog Entries

There have been a few people who expressed concern over losing a Blue Chip on this thread. I have actually lost a couple of them, and I'll tell you, I was not happy about it. But I ordered replacements, and got over it.

If you look at it this way, you can pay a lot more than $35 for a motel room, but you only use it for one night. Then you have nothing to show for your money. I'd say the pick is a pretty good deal compared to that!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fredfrank For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wsugai View Post
    I've drunk the Kool-Aid on the BC CT55 as my go-to pick for the mando but I've had occasion to play my guitar again quite a bit over the last couple of months and dang(!) if the best pick I've come across is my old D'Andrea Pro Plec 1.5mm 351-shape pick.
    My best mandolin picks are nothing-burgers on the guitar. And my favorite guitar pick is terrible on the mandolin. To each instrument its own plectrum.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I love my BC's for guitar. I still use tortoise on the mando ....... but my new TP-40 has a ton of clarity and really makes the notes stand out. I will gravitate to the BC's for mando, I'm sure.
    ..... f5joe

Quote Originally Posted by fredfrank View Post
    If you look at it this way, you can pay a lot more than $35 for a motel room, but you only use it for one night. Then you have nothing to show for your money. I'd say the pick is a pretty good deal compared to that!
    Interesting...I often use a restaurant purchased meal as my analogy...and you know what happens to that. With a hotel room at least you got some shelter and some sleep...hopefully.

But I just lost a Kenny Smith BC and it does sting. Looking forward to those new Ultex's Dunlop is promising.

I got a CT-55 for Mother's Day, and I must say that I like it very much. One thing I like about it that I have not yet seen mentioned is that it is huge. The tiny picks they sell at Guitar center just are too small for my fingers.
    Newbie player
    Pickin' and grimacing

Always Improving Cecily_Mandoliner's Avatar

I finally ordered the CT55 last night! I even got it engraved with my name! I will be watching my mailbox closely.
    Weber Bitterroot F-Style Buckskin (2011)
    J Bovier A5-T
    Kentucky KM272 Vintage
    Trinity College Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, and Mandola
    Luna Guitars Passionflower Acoustic-Electric
    Taylor GSmini Guitar
    Ibanez Mini-dreadnought Tenor Guitar
    Gold Tone Cripple Creek Irish Tenor Banjo
    Klos Mandolin (on order)