Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: San Antonio Texas

Default San Antonio Texas

Anyone on here from the San Antonio area?

Default Re: San Antonio Texas

I live "up the road" in Bandera, but work in San Antonio. There are plenty others here in San Antonio.

A bunch more up here in Austin also.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Ya, Austin is great...San Antonio on the other hand is a bit sparse.

Tobin, lets get together and pick!

I also play a cajun accordion...San Antonio has a very active cajun music group. More mandolins here in Austin, more button boxes in San Antonio (especially if you count the conjunto/tejano scene). 75 miles can make a big difference.

I would recommend you check out the website for the San Antonio Bluegrass Assoc: http://www.sanantoniobluegrass.com/

and the Central Texas Bluegrass Association http://www.centraltexasbluegrass.org/

Also the Austin Friends of Traditional Music http://aftm.us/

These will give you news that extends all around Austin and San Antonio.
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Penny Whistle

Yep, there's no doubt that Austin has a better music scene all-around, especially if you're into something besides Tejano music or Mariachi music. It's surprising how much of a culture difference there is between the two.

dwheeler07, I'm game for a pickin' get-together. Though it's a bit tough for me to do in San Antonio proper, since I don't actually live there and don't drive into town for much except work. There are a few others I've talked to via PM who are interested in it too. I have informal jams/picking-sessions at my house (outside of Bandera) occasionally, though it has never evolved into anything resembling a real jam.

Be aware that the San Antonio Bluegrass website posted by Capt. E is seriously out of date. Their "calendar" stopped about two years ago, and it still shows jams in San Antonio which no longer exist.

Tobin, Ya we traded PM's about a jam a little while back. I'm in Helotes right off of Bandera rd. And a confession...I actually don't even own a mandolin. Many many guitars and a bozouki but no mandos. I've borrowed for long periods but I'm looking to end that if I can get a hit on the classifieds soon.

I play guitar as needed for TVA which is fun but thats been my only SA connection so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    Be aware that the San Antonio Bluegrass website posted by Capt. E is seriously out of date. Their "calendar" stopped about two years ago, and it still shows jams in San Antonio which no longer exist.
    Thanks for that, the Austin one is very much up to date and is a very active group, as is the AFTM. Again, evidence of the big differences between the two cities.
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Penny Whistle

I live about an hour from San Antonio but I'm there semi often. If anyone knows any good bluegrass jams or any kind of jam where I could bring my mandolin and learn, let me know here!

I'm aware of a jam at "the bar be que station" off 1604 on Mondays, but I haven't been able to make it out yet

The Barbecue Station Jam is not off 1604 that was the old Wetmore Jam location.
    The new location is loop 410 in San Antonio every Monday evening 6:30 .
    Good food cold beer and smokin Bluegrass, usually standing room only so get there early.
    MAS Fund.......Up and running again

Ah thanks for clarifying, i was going off what it said on a different website.

Im going to try to make it one of these days, probably will bring my guitar, i havent gotten good enough at the mandolin yet.

how is the makeup of the jam usually, lots of guitar players? what about mandos?

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlackVeil View Post
    Ah thanks for clarifying, i was going off what it said on a different website.

Im going to try to make it one of these days, probably will bring my guitar, i havent gotten good enough at the mandolin yet.

how is the makeup of the jam usually, lots of guitar players? what about mandos?
    Most jams will have more guitar players, no big deal this one is beginner friendly but requests you take a second row seat if you ain't gonna take breaks and sing, but very beginner friendly and supportive you will be welcome and make you some new friends.
    Best.
    PM me for directions to a slow jam if that is what you like, also there is a possibility that there will be a monthly jam @Waring Texas General Store once a month on Saturday 2 til 6.
    And FWIW there is a slow jam @ Hearts Acoustic in Boerne Monthly, you Hill Country boys know where these places are.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron View Post
    And FWIW there is a slow jam @ Hearts Acoustic in Boerne Monthly, you Hill Country boys know where these places are.
    Last I checked, they didn't call it a slow jam - they just call it an acoustic jam. I happened to stop in there one Saturday to pick something up when it was going on, and from what I saw it was all guitars. And yes, they were playing at a fairly leisurely pace.

Hill's Cafe in Austin, I hear the old Artz Barbeque bunch hangs out there ?

Hill's Cafe in Austin, I hear the old Artz Barbeque bunch hangs out there ?
    The Central Texas Bluegrass Association meets at various places. Every Sunday they are at Hills on S. Congress. 2nd and 4th Sat they have a beginner-intermediate jam in N Austin. Then there is Contra dance on 3rd Sat. and Texas Oil time Fiddlers at Scholz Garten every Tuesday. etc. Check their newsletter. http://www.centraltexasbluegrass.org/
    Austin Friends of Traditional Music is having their jams at El Mercado restaurant on South 1st street. http://aftm.us/
    Both back where they belong south of the river.
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Penny Whistle

The Barbecue Station Jam is not off 1604 that was the old Wetmore Jam location.
    The new location is loop 410 in San Antonio every Monday evening 6:30 .
    Good food cold beer and smokin Bluegrass, usually standing room only so get there early.
    What establishment is this held at exactly? I'm in San Antonio myself and haven't had time to find much going on around time musically since my move here. Will this be happening through the summer?
    "Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man."

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Flynn View Post
    What establishment is this held at exactly? I'm in San Antonio myself and haven't had time to find much going on around time musically since my move here. Will this be happening through the summer?
    Sorry for the late reply, yes the Jam will be running through out summer they have no plans for changing locations.
    The place is called Barbeque Station .
    1610 NE Interstate 410 Loop, San Antonio, TX
    (210) 824-9191
    Good food friendly pickers, incidentally no Jam this coming Monday Memorial Day.

18. The following members say thank you to Iron for this post:

Has anyone made it out to the Texas folklife festival?

Looks like it's goin on next weekend. I've never been, just moved here a couple of years ago.

Is it a place where I could bring my mando and jam with others? Or is it more of a performance, watch a concert type of thing

It's a free-for-all. But be prepared; it has become a virtual wannabe hippie-fest.

I might go the first day without an instrument and just scope it out.

Or does anyone want to organize a mandolin cafe jam circle? That would be cool

I'd probably just bring my guitar, I don't know enough songs on the mandolin yet really

Did you end up going out? I was going to go Saturday evening with a fiddle-playing buddy, but my father died Saturday morning. Needless to say, the festival was the last thing on my mind.

But it's going on through next weekend (June 8th). I might make it out there yet. Not sure.

Did you end up going out? I was going to go Saturday evening with a fiddle-playing buddy, but my father died Saturday morning. Needless to say, the festival was the last thing on my mind.

But it's going on through next weekend (June 8th). I might make it out there yet. Not sure.
    I planned on going out there this weekend, couldn't possibly make it last weekend

Looks like I missed some activity on this thread. I'm still here and in the helotes area if any of you guys want to get together. I have a new eastman from the Texas Mandolin Contest 2 weekends ago. Put it on the cafe so I can upgrade. Maybe an Ellis like you Tobin

Sweet! Congratulations!

It's a free-for-all. But be prepared; it has become a virtual wannabe hippie-fest.
    I'm curious what a "wannabe hippie fest" is. Sounds kind of derogatory the way you've stated it. Being an "Old Hippie" myself I'd appreciate leaving out those kind of remarks from your posts. Thanks