Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Piccolo mandolins

Default Re: Piccolo mandolins

I have one of Mike Black's piccolos with that 'about 11 inch' scale length. I have no problem whatever in playability (YMMV) and it sounds fantastic. My mandolin friends really like it, too.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    I have one of Mike Black's piccolos ... and it sounds fantastic.
    I believe his excellent design of the body is the major contributor to that fantastic sound.

You don't happen to have one of his standard mandos too, do you? I am curious about the depth of the piccolo body compared to the standard. They appear to be the same from the photos he posted 7 years ago but it wasn't a direct side view.

Sorry, Mobike, but I only have one of Mike's piccolos. I would love to have one of his A4 mandolins to match it though, and may, one day. He is great to work with. It would be fun to have him do a matching 'full-sized' build!

Why not send Mike a PM? He is good about replying.

Best wishes,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I would consider keeping the scale length to at least 13".
    Without getting into the math, a plain string longer than 11.4" will break fairly quickly when tuned to A5 or higher. It's just physics.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
    Without getting into the math, a plain string longer than 11.4" will break fairly quickly when tuned to A5 or higher. It's just physics.
    Yup, we've already been there, I forgot it is tuned up higher.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

25 years ago I custom ordered a diminutive (piccolo) mandolin from my esteemed friend, Mr. Gilchrist. I used this instrument on several recording sessions and it is featured on a duet with my bassist Jim Kerwin, entitled "Why Did the Mouse Marry the Elephant?" on the Dawgnation CD.

If you wish to hear it, it's on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igdpwBxavHE

I tune it a minor 3rd above a mandolin: Bb - F - C - G (low to high). I soon discovered that it's harder to crimp your fingers than stretch them, so it hasn't seen much use, but nevertheless a very cool instrument.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GILCHRIST piccolo 1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	778.6 KB 
ID:	177136  

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dawg For This Useful Post:

Here are two pictures of my Mike Black piccolo to accompany Dawgs. Note the two cat inlays on mine (headstock and neck heel). So we now have a 'Dawg' piccolo and a 'cat' piccolo!

You might need to click on the photos and open them to view them. Maybe it is the device I am on, but if I don't open them, they are distorted. Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	177155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	177154  
    Last edited by Bob Clark; Jun-01-2019 at 9:13pm. Reason: Found better photos.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Clark For This Useful Post:

Gorgeous instruments both. Wonderful sound from the Dawgolo too; thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I have a vintage Leland piccolo circa 1913. It is funny, tho. I find it a little harder to get used to that very short scale vs. getting used to the longer mandola scale. It throws me off to switch back to the mandolin. Frankly I am not 100% sure about the use of such an instrument other than a novelty. You can play practically all those notes up there on a regular mandolin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
    I tune it a minor 3rd above a mandolin: Bb - F - C - G (low to high). I soon discovered that it's harder to crimp your fingers than stretch them, so it hasn't seen much use, but nevertheless a very cool instrument.
    Hah! That is what I meant by comment earlier. Much easier to transition from mandola to mandolin than from piccolo to mandolin.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Nah, can't say I agree with the piccolo being a novelty; just a different voice. I think about it this way. You could have a really nice sedan that can get you anywhere you might want to go in comfort and in style. But wouldn't it also be nice to have a little two seat roadster for when you in the mood for something a little different? It's not as comfortable as the sedan. You can't carry as many passengers or as much stuff. But sometimes it's exactly what you feel like driving. It's not rational; it's emotional.

So, can I play high notes on my regular mandolin? Sure. Is its fretboard a bit more roomy and comfortable? No doubt about it. But do I also sometimes want the joy of playing that little piccolo, hearing its high sweet voice, and zipping around on that tiny fretboard? You bet. Rational? Heck no. Emotional? You bet!

For me, it is not a novelty, just another choice, a different voice, another playing experience. I sure enjoy it. And life is way to short to deny myself that pleasure.

That's my thoughts on the subject. YMMV, and that's cool too. What a boring world we would have if we all liked the same things.

Many years ago I obtained a piccolo bowlback mandolin from Alfred Woll in Germany. It's so small as to be difficult to play, even more difficult to operate the tuning machines. It is remarkable for the precision and level of skill used in its construction; even the case is made to a high standard. More surprising is that it is unlabeled; you would think that the maker would want to personalise it.

It is pictured next to a normally sized mandolin, my A.Monzino & Garlandini (Milano, undated).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	423.1 KB 
ID:	177392Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p4.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	409.9 KB 
ID:	177393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p3.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	246.0 KB 
ID:	177394Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	366.7 KB 
ID:	177395Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	350.9 KB 
ID:	177396

I've often wondered what the smallest fully functional, non-novelty stringed instrument is (based on scale length I suppose); seems like a piccolo mandolin might be a strong candidate. There are some South American instruments with pretty short scale lengths too though.

Quote Originally Posted by Seter View Post
    I've often wondered what the smallest fully functional, non-novelty stringed instrument is (based on scale length I suppose); seems like a piccolo mandolin might be a strong candidate. There are some South American instruments with pretty short scale lengths too though.
    This guitar: Nano-Guitar

The guitar has six strings, each string about 50 nanometers wide, the width of about 100 atoms. If plucked -- by an atomic force microscope, for example -- the strings would resonate, but at inaudible frequencies. The entire structure is about 10 micrometers long, about the size of a single cell.
    I have a feeling that an "atomic force microscope" would cost considerably more than a Blue Chip pick. Makes a BC seem like a real bargain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nanogtr.GIF 
Views:	45 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	177427
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

16. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post: