Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Piccolo mandolins

Default Piccolo mandolins

If one were going to try out (and perhaps buy) a piccolo mandolin (tuned CGDA, same as a mandola, but an octave higher), any ideas how/where one might do this?

I've looked at the inventories at the usual places we see discussed on the Cafe's forum, but didn't see anything (altho perhaps I haven't looked thoroughly enough; would love to be proven wrong!).

Through google I have found a few luthiers that make them (links below), but I'm wondering if you have to special order these, or does anyone sell them off the shelf? Am just concerned that a luthier might be an expensive way to go for a type of instrument that I've never played. Not that a luthier is necessarily out of the question, but I guess I'm wondering if there's a way to test the waters before commissioning something. Thanks bb

http://www.blackmandolins.com/piccolo-mandolins.html

http://www.campanellastrings.com/piccolo-mandolin

http://www.wiensmandolins.com/instruments.htm

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Piccolo mandolins

Would the Weber line of Gallatin Soprano instruments meet your needs? http://webermandolins.com/instrument...atin-f-soprano
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Blog Entries

I bought by Weber Sopranino without trying one. I took the risk and I could not be happier.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Hmm, well, I'm not sure. I had not been aware of the Sopranolins, so thanks to both for bringing these to my attention! How are they tuned, like a normal mandolin (GDAE) or a piccolo (CGDA)? Didn't see that on Weber's web page.

On the Weber link to Sopranos they only show a Galletin F style. However, in their catalog you can download from their site, it looks you can get a Sopranolin in any model, so an A would help defray costs. bb

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bohemianbiker View Post
    How are they tuned, like a normal mandolin (GDAE) or a piccolo (CGDA)? Didn't see that on Weber's web page.
    CGDA. Here's a review: http://jazzmando.com/weber_gallatin_...mandolin.shtml. And here's a video: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EzmRS6hfXdg.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

6. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

You should check with Weber. I would bet that this is a special order, unless they have one in stock or know of a dealer who has one. Otherwise I would imagine you could order one. Trying one out might be the harder, unless you live near to Jeff.

I have a vintage Leland piccolo circa 1913. It is funny, tho. I find it a little harder to get used to that very short scale vs. getting used to the longer mandola scale. It throws me off to switch back to the mandolin. Frankly I am not 100% sure about the use of such an instrument other than a novelty. You can play practically all those notes up there on a regular mandolin.

What makes you interested in a piccolo?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Many thanks. And of all coincidences, I just noticed that my wall calendar (from jazzmando.com) has a Weber Sopranolin pictured for April! bb

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    You can play practically all those notes up there on a regular mandolin.

What makes you interested in a piccolo?
    Well, I was thinking it would be fun to play in a higher register. But if it's not substantially different in this regard, that would probably slow me down. But this is part of why I'm hoping I can try something out before buying. bb

Other than Jeff and I (both live upstate NY and even further upstate) I don't know who else has one. I would contact Weber and see if they have any clues of others out there.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I also have one of my Piccolo's in upstate New York. So I guess there are at least 3 there!

Well, Jim's point got me wondering: for those of you who play a piccolo, what makes you chose the piccolo over the normal mandolin when you chose to play it? Any difference in tone in the higher register?

I really enjoyed the video of Eva Holbrook playing the Bach movement. bb

I made my own.

I play it because I like the sound, and also because it forces me to place my fingers more carefully and precisely, which helps me when I switch back to a regular mandolin.

Where is that duck behind the wall emoticon?

OK here goes, you could always put a capo on a regular mandolin at the fifth fret. That would at least give you an idea what one would be like.

Ducks incoming vegetables for suggesting a capo on a mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    While I understand the potentially limited use one might put the soprano mandolin to, it's hard to listen to Eva Holbrook's Bach on this Weber and not want one of these tiny gems. It's on my wish list for the day when I start to feel bored with my mandolins and OM. I hope, by then, Weber is making an A as well as the F's. In reading the Jazzmando review, it sounds like the A-style headstock would be a good idea. Plus, I'd like to see how an oval hole would sound. Perhaps it would have a little more sustain?

bb- Please let us know what you decide, and if you get one, what you think of it.

Best wishes, Bob

Just an added thought to the small-scale Luthiers out there. Anyone considering making an A/N flat-top Soprano? It might be an interesting little niche to explore.

You can put a capo on the 5th fret of your regular mandolin and basically have a piccolo mandolin. If you find yourself playing it that way a lot, an actual piccolo might be worth the investment. My guess is the novelty will wear off quickly and you will have saved yourself a lot of money, but who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    In reading the Jazzmando review, it sounds like the A-style headstock would be a good idea. Plus, I'd like to see how an oval hole would sound. Perhaps it would have a little more sustain?

bb- Please let us know what you decide, and if you get one, what you think of it.

Best wishes, Bob
    Here is my A4 Piccolo with oval hole and Virzi.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike Black For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

It is not identical to playing with the capo at the fifth fret. I mean, that is a way to make similar sounds, I suppose, but playing the sopranino is MUCH more fun.

I have only ever played Webers Gallatin Sopranino, but the experience can be generalized I am sure. Its small and compact and fits well in hand. It has dots in all the right places, which a capoed instrument does not. It is very light, and surprisingly loud for how light it feels. It is cute as all get out.

I use it in two ways.

I play it in my ensemble, with another mandolin, a mandola, and a mandocello. It adds another voice to our mix. It is fantastic playing unison with the mandocello.

And I play it at home alone, when I just want to grab something to play.

One example where the sopranino really shined - I was doing a Civil War gig, and we played Battle Hymn of the Republic. Well I studied up on the various classic versions available, and learned that high trumpet part (or a reasonable facsimile). Mannn we sounded great.

I have said it before, I would never get one "instead" of a regular mandolin, but as an additional voice - I love it.

The entire staff
    funny....

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    While I understand the potentially limited use one might put the soprano mandolin to, it's hard to listen to Eva Holbrook's Bach on this Weber and not want one of these tiny gems. ...

Best wishes, Bob
    Yes, last night after coming home from our orchestra's rehearsal, instead of practicing our orchestra's songs, I started practicing the 1st movement from the Prelude, Cello Suite (what Eva played). But I, uh, don't quite play it like she does .... ;-)

If/when I make a decision on this, I'll be sure to post back to the thread. bb

24. The following members say thank you to bohemianbiker for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    You can put a capo on the 5th fret of your regular mandolin and basically have a piccolo mandolin. If you find yourself playing it that way a lot, an actual piccolo might be worth the investment. My guess is the novelty will wear off quickly and you will have saved yourself a lot of money, but who knows?
    I do find myself playing in 3rd position and higher a fair bit. My instructor has to remind me sometimes to play certain parts in first position for the better tone. But once I get up the neck, I'm inclined not to leave the higher position unless I have to, figuring the less often I'm changing positions, the less potential for screw ups. But of course, a better musician would be thinking about the sound, and not be looking for a way to avoid position changes ....

You could be right it being a novelty that wears out. In some ways, that's kind of what my MandoStrat has been. And I knew it might be, as I had no real place to play it. But for $300, I figured it would just be fun to play it from time to time, and it has been.

So I suppose what I should look for is a low end or used piccolo, just to see if I like it. But I'm not sure that's an option. Even guitarcenter.com didn't have any. Anyway, I do enjoy playing in the higher register, so I'll keep thinking about this. bb

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I play it in my ensemble, with another mandolin, a mandola, and a mandocello. It adds another voice to our mix. It is fantastic playing unison with the mandocello.
    Thanks Jeff. That's an intriguing idea. At the end of last year four of us from our orchestra put together a quartet. We've only had 1 gig, and we're still putting together a repetoire, but perhaps a song or 2 with a piccolo would sound good.

I see you're in both upstate NY and Wash DC. I live outside DC, so if you're ever playing your Sopranino at a gig, let me know, and perhaps I can check it out! bb

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petrus For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bohemianbiker View Post

I see you're in both upstate NY and Wash DC. I live outside DC, so if you're ever playing your Sopranino at a gig, let me know, and perhaps I can check it out! bb
    That is a very real possibility. Not that I gig much, but if you are around next time I come down I'll bring it with me.

The entire staff
    funny....

I understand wanting different voices. I'm just not sure I'd ever use one though. If I only had a standard mandolin I'd rather move to a mandola for a new voice but that's just me. While the video of Eva certainly shows her talent I find it almost difficult to listen to. Just too high pitched for me. I'd love to hear her play that on a mandola though!

Blog Entries

Another place the piccolo does well: Playford tunes in an ensemble, with perhaps another regular mandolin in their. Wow does it ever sound great. It is like adding oregano to the mix, just turns on the lights.

The Allan Alexander books of medieval and renaissance music are a lot of fun for sight reading, and I am working on some tunes on the sopranino that I am hoping will really pop.

The entire staff
    funny....