Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A cautionary tale

Default A cautionary tale

This is probably more for the sake of the amateurs than the pros among us. I came very close to being severely maimed or worse. It was entirely my fault and entirely avoidable.

I've had long hair for a very long time and I spend a lot of time in the shop. So I have a ritual in which I tie back my hair and put a cap on afterwards. I've done this since my dad warned me about it, which makes it.... a VERY long time ago.

But this Saturday, I was a bit preoccupied and tied my hair back but neglected to put my ball cap on.

Then I started drilling a piece of steel on the mill. When I piece of hair came out of my ponytail, instead of following my routine, stopping, and putting my hair back in place, I simply tucked it behind my ear and kept working.

The next thing i know, I look like Carrie at the prom, with a hunk of hair wrapped around the spindle and blood everywhere. I don't know where exactly my head hit the milling head, but it could have been SO much worse. And at least 3 friends in the machine trades have since told me stories that make mine pale by comparison.

I could have lost an eye or been dragged into any of the many levers, corners, and protrusions. Instead, I lost a hunk of hair, got a beautiful shiner, and will no doubt have a scar.

I was really lucky. Most of the hair was broken off not pulled out by the roots which means it will grow back, the impact was extremely localized and amounts to a fairly minor flesh wound, I wasn't concussed and I never lost consciousness.

So those of you with long hair, don't ever think "oh just this once...". It only takes once.

I learned a number of things. Machine tools require respect; something I'll never again take for granted. The ritual of tying my hair back is a necessity, every time, no exceptions. The forehead and scalp bleed copiously when injured. And if you arrive at a local medimerge covered head to toe in blood, you probably won't have to wait in line.

Being the nerd that I am, I felt compelled to calculate approximately how long it took between the time the spindle grabbed my hair and the time my head hit the mill. I made a few assumptions and determined that even conservatively, it was less than a tenth of a second.

Something like this makes a person reflect on one's life and take it a little less for granted.

Be careful, friends. I got off easy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vertical mill.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	117588Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunset over the painted desert.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	117589Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ripped out by the roots.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	117590
    CeeCee, Self-appointed Supreme Arbiter of All that is Good, Just, and True
    1 Spousal Unit, 4 cats
    1919 Gibson A1, Girouard custom F5, Collings MF, Northfield F5-S, Eastman 815, Eastman 514, Eastman 315, JBovier ELS-VC electric mando

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice. anon

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CeeCee_C For This Useful Post:

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Default Re: A cautionary tale

You're lucky. Glad you came out of it okay.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

4. The following members say thank you to billhay4 for this post:

working for the mando.... Bluetickhound's Avatar

Holy MOLY!!! Glad you are (comparitively) OK. I always enjoy your posts and would hate to know we lost you... especially to a shop accident.

PS. Thanks for having the courage to share this. Most folks wouldn't be so forthcoming.
    "A creative man is driven by the the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

Rayburn Mandolins
    https://m.facebook.com/rayburnmandol...urce=typeahead

6. The following members say thank you to Bluetickhound for this post:

So glad that you are still alive to tell the story.

8. The following members say thank you to Ron Cox for this post:

CeeCee, glad you are OK. I have seen a couple accidents like that, working in educational machine shops. Guys with longer hair are not immune, either. Also, a loose T-shirt or ipod headphones can be just as dangerous.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

Boy, you were lucky! I am glad you were not injured any more severely. You learned this the hard way.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

12. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Sheesh! Glad you're OK. And you've got a good shiner to show. Just one thing, though - think of a better story to tell folks who ask how you got it. You know, one in which your own carelessness doesn't play a major role. Something more in keeping with a display of bravery or standing up for a cause worth fighting for or defending someone, something like that. Who knows - someone might buy you a beer or two.

I gave myself a shiner, my first ever, a couple of months ago. also through carelessness, or more aptly clumsiness. I felt it need commemoration, and posted a picture on facebook. I was besieged with condolences and requests for explanation, and didn't kn ow what to say. The truth was way too boring, even embarrassing, and I didn't want to lie outright. I found a middle ground, keeping my responses rather vague and general. At least you've got a good story, one which could even be a teachable moment, if you so choose. But if you feel like working some other angle, go for it! And have some fun with it.

But meanwhile, glad it wasn't too bad. Could have been horrible, as I'm sure you know. Take care!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

14. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Glad you are OK. You're right, it could have been a lot worse. Learned my lesson several years ago. I hated to wear a face mask when I was using the wood lathe. It was a large plastic shied that swung down in front of my face. I thought it was kind of "wussy" but I wore it anyway. One day a large turning came off the spindle at a surprising speed and hit the face mask square on. It certainly would have broke my nose and probably several teeth. No need to warn me again about any safety measures.

16. The following members say thank you to Bruce Cech for this post:

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I'm glad you were basically OK and got away with minor injuries only. Having once worked in a lab with some of the sharpest heavy knives and corrosive chemicals imaginable and having closely avoided chopping my own foot off when dropping one such knife I'm also strictly observant of safety in the workplace. You're right, it only takes one oversight and a fraction of a second. Safety first always.

18. The following members say thank you to Shelagh Moore for this post:

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

WOW, CeeCee, sorry that happened, but grateful it wasn't even worse! You did get off relatively lucky, all things considered. Horrible to contemplate what could happened to you. Good luck, and speedy recovery. Good thoughts and wishes headed your way from Georgia.
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

20. The following members say thank you to Michael Bridges for this post:

I once had a Router grab a loose shirt tail. It FREAKED me out!!!! I was so glad that it only ripped the shirt. Glad it was old and needed throwing away anyway.
    So good to know you are safe! I always enjoy reading your posts.

Hope the healing is speedy!
    Take care.
    And, thanks so much for the reminder. We all need them from time to time.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

22. The following members say thank you to Eric Hanson for this post:

CeeCee, glad you are OK.
    Your cautionary tail applies to everyone, especially the pros. Familiarity breeds complacency and that leads to accidents.
    We often forget how powerful these machines really are and how quickly something can go wrong.

For my part, my router table scares the bejeezus out of me and frankly, it should.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    Eric Foulke
    Boots Mandolins

"Outside of a book, a dog is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx

24. The following members say thank you to Eric Foulke for this post:

CeeCee,
    Yeah, you got real lucky there. Many years ago I was drilling into some 1 inch thick brass, I knocked the spurs off on the bit and C clamped the vise to the table. Myleft hand was grabbed by the vise and my arm was wrapped around the chuck. I thought I had properly clamped the vise, but evidently not. After a trip to the emergency room and 7 stiches at the base of my thumb, I now take extra precautions when working around machinery. I too had long hair back then, I now buzz cut it. I also wear no jewelry of any kind when working.

26. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

CeeCee - I'm sincerely pleased that you weren't hurt even more than you were.That's a dreadful thing to have happened,but using dilling / Milling machines is pretty hazardous if you don't keep your wits about you. During my apprenticeship in the Aircraft industry,i was required to learn to operate drilling/milling/grinding machines etc.& i used both vertical & horizontal milling machines from small to VERY large. Even with short hair,i was required to wear a cap & have the sleeves of my boiler suit (mandatory wear), securely buttoned up. Failure to do so & i'd have been suspended without pay for 3 days. George above mentions not wearing jewellery when operating machinery - that too was a definite suspension issue. The old saying - ''Familiarity breeds contempt'' should be forefront in our minds even when using standard household tools such as saws,chisels & indeed, electric drills.
    One slip & your instrument playing days could be over ...... !!!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

28. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    I also wear no jewelry of any kind when working.
    That has me thinking about my wedding ring - I can't take it off without a bolt cutter, but I usually wear gloves when doing rough work.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

30. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

working for the mando.... Bluetickhound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    That has me thinking about my wedding ring - I can't take it off without a bolt cutter, but I usually wear gloves when doing rough work.
    I had a friend who couldn't take his weddingring off also... he'd wrap that section of his finger with black tape to smooth out the edge...
    "A creative man is driven by the the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

Rayburn Mandolins
    https://m.facebook.com/rayburnmandol...urce=typeahead

32. The following members say thank you to Bluetickhound for this post:

Blog Entries

Truly scarey story. My stomach actually got queasy just reading and thinking about it. Certainly anything hanging off a person - be it clothing, or a ring, or a watch, or in this case hair is something to be very cautious with near power tools. I'm certainly glad it ended a "well" as it did for you -- heavens!!.

The other two things that can "get you" in the shop -- familiarity (routine) and impatience (haste).

I'll guess that familiarity and haste played a part in CeeCee's accident too -- she'd done this job often it was "routine" and she was right in the middle of the operation and did a "quick fix" instead of stopping to do the full fix like she would have done just starting a procedure.

This happens to all of us. Thanks for telling your story CeeCee -- it will make me a lot more cautious again --hopefully for a long time!! Get well!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

34. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

40 years ago while I was on a construction site, a young electrician with a pony tail got his tail caught in a 3/4 drill chuck while boring holes through cedar beams. He had actually scalped himself, about 6 inches in diameter worth, so consider yourself lucky with the damage you recieved, respect those moving parts please....BK

36. The following members say thank you to barry k for this post:

Alden, Minnesota, 12 miles west of where I-90 and I-35 cross in Southern, Minnesota

CeeCee, so glad you are OK. One can't ve too careful when working with power tools. My father-in-law was using a radial arm saw, when he was distracted for a second or two. By then he has pulled the saw down the tip of his third finger, and down the lengtn of his ring finger into the base of his palm. It happened so fast that it was all over before he noticed what he had done. (They saved the finger for a while, but it was worthless, so he had it taken off.) I quickly learned that all those safety warnings should be followed.
    "Put your hands to the wood
    Touch the music put there by the summer sun and wind
    The rhythms of the rain, locked within the rings
    And let your fingers find The Music in the Wood."
    Joe Grant and Al Parrish (chorus from The Music in the Wood)

38. The following members say thank you to David Rambo for this post:

With respect to wedding rings, there is the emotional attachment to "never removing" them, I appreciate and understand that. The jeweler side of me has seen more finger damage from not having the ability to remove it than I would wish on anyone. Please I encourage anyone who's ring is not removable to go to their jeweler, have it removed, wait until the flesh fills back for a reasonable amount of time and have the ring resized so it can be removed in the shop, playing some sports, anything where it could be caught!
    Case- father of the bride setting up a soccer net a week before wedding, his ring gets caught on the net hanger and as his weight loads, the flesh is stripped from the bone. His hand is wrapped in enough white gauze that it looked like a double wedding.
    Cautionary tale indeed, machines have no sense of what is people or material to be removed. They do not think, feel or make any decisions for themselves. We must all be our own best safety staff.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

40. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

So sorry to hear, CeeCee. I am glad that you are relatively OK tho. The only thing I can add is that I know a few pros who were so used to using these machines that even they got complacent and accidents happen. We all need to be careful and keep our wits about us.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

42. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

ceecee-
    good to know you're ok
    those pics are
    very sobering...very

best wishes for a speedy recovery!
    (you probably should get another mando, simply to make it 'feel better'.....LOL)

44. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Boy, you were lucky! I am glad you were not injured any more severely. You learned this the hard way.
    Actually, I consider that I learned this lesson with both eyes, both hands and brain no less intact than it was before the accident. I've heard some of the "the hard way" stories since the accident.

In fact, a student at Yale lost her life to a lathe/long hair accident not too long ago.

I got off easy.

Which in no way reduces my gratitude to you for your kind words. Thank you!
    CeeCee, Self-appointed Supreme Arbiter of All that is Good, Just, and True
    1 Spousal Unit, 4 cats
    1919 Gibson A1, Girouard custom F5, Collings MF, Northfield F5-S, Eastman 815, Eastman 514, Eastman 315, JBovier ELS-VC electric mando

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice. anon

46. The following members say thank you to CeeCee_C for this post:

Cee Cee, Glad you are OK. As you know, we get so comfortable with some equipment that sometimes we forget how strong they are and how quick they bite. Speaking for myself anyway.
    My father was a tool and die maker most of his life. He saw this twice. A long haired man had his hair ripped out as you have, the mill moving fairly high speed. A lady working there was not as fortunate. She had her mill at a slow speed and didn't cut it off quick enough. She lost a large amount of skin still attached to the hair.
    Even though I'm past just going bald, Loose clothes and other items can be just as dangerous.
    Again, so glad you're OK and thanks for reminding the rest of us.

48. The following members say thank you to David Houchens for this post:

Blog Entries

Sorry to hear that CeeCee_C but glad it wasn't worse. I'm always glad to be reminded that workshop safety should extend beyond the bandsaw. I keep tripping on power leads - must remember to get them in the air.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

50. The following members say thank you to Pete Jenner for this post: