Thread: 5 Course Mandocello

Default 5 Course Mandocello

I just shipped this mandocello today, 5 courses, CGDAE. Sitka top, ribbon mahogany back and sides, ebony fingerboard and adjustable bridge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09966.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	117552   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09910.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	117553   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09889.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	117554  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09919.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	117555   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09946.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	117556  

2. The following members say thank you to Walt Kuhlman for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: 5 Course Mandocello

That is an amazing instrument! Congratulations on a beautiful build!

Can you comment on the specs? Looks like a pretty long scale? Also what strings and string gauges did you use? The last photo shows some very smooth looking strings -- i.e., they are not wound strings?

It the instrument to be used for classical music? It would sure be great to hear how that one sounds!!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I am the new owner. It is a "liuto moderno", as Walt remarks, a 5-course mandocello tuned CGDAE. I am expecting arrival tomorrow, very exciting!

The scale length is 24 inches, or 61 cm, the same scale length as the standard Calace version of this instrument. It is strung with Thomastic, which is why the strings look very smooth. It is indeed intended for classical music. My intention is to use it to learn/play the Calace preludes for liuto (as opposed to the Calace preludes for mandolin. Calace wrote 8 or so preludes for liuto, plus a great deal of other music for the instrument). Solo music for liuto is written in a combination of 8va treble and bass clef; ensemble music is written in bass clef. I expect it will make a fine instrument for the Bach cello suites.

Walt is a great builder and a great pleasure to work with. I've been impressed with his instruments for quite a while and especially like the mandola (octave) that he made for Chris Acquavella and Steffi Rauch, which I heard at CMSA Regina last fall.
    Robert A. Margo

5. The following members say thank you to margora for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by margora View Post
    I am the new owner. It is a "liuto moderno", as Walt remarks, a 5-course mandocello tuned CGDAE. I am expecting arrival tomorrow, very exciting!

The scale length is 24 inches, or 61 cm, the same scale length as the standard Calace version of this instrument. It is strung with Thomastic, which is why the strings look very smooth. It is indeed intended for classical music. My intention is to use it to learn/play the Calace preludes for liuto (as opposed to the Calace preludes for mandolin. Calace wrote 8 or so preludes for liuto, plus a great deal of other music for the instrument). Solo music for liuto is written in a combination of 8va treble and bass clef; ensemble music is written in bass clef. I expect it will make a fine instrument for the Bach cello suites.

Walt is a great builder and a great pleasure to work with. I've been impressed with his instruments for quite a while and especially like the mandola (octave) that he made for Chris Acquavella and Steffi Rauch, which I heard at CMSA Regina last fall.
    Well congratulations are certainly in order for you!! If looks could kill your new liuto moderno would be arrested!

I need to look up the origin of that name liuto as I am converting a new arch top guitar to a 5-course mandocello like that and I am also going for the CGDAE tuning. I planned to use phospho-bronze wound strings so they are lighter gauge than you have there.

I would be most interested in hearing your new liuto so I hope you are able to post a sound file soon. Very exciting stuff!

I think your choice of 24" scale is a good one.

Many have suggested that a mandocello should have a 27" scale like a violin cello. But considering that a mandocello is a plucked instrument with a relatively flat fret board -- full chords are possible so the longer scale is at odds with that idea.

If one were not to be interested in full and closed chords and only want to play cello music with melody or counter-melody lines and double stops perhaps the longer cello scale might make sense? Not sure about that.

I recall watching this video as couple of years ago -- and I guess this is what you will be playing?
    Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Apr-01-2014 at 10:26pm.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Beautiful instrument! Congratulations both to Robert and Walt. I look forward to hearing its voice in sound clips!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Excellent and wonderful work, Walter (as usual). I look fwd to hearing its dulcet tones played by Bob.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Cool instrument (Bob/Walt)...

Glad it worked out...can't wait to HEAR it!
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

Bob Margo sent me a couple videos of the instrument in action, with NAME, New American Mandolin Ensemble. Really nice music!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walt Kuhlman For This Useful Post: