Thread: bass string sounds dull when fretted

Default bass string sounds dull when fretted

Hi all,

I am sure this is a relatively common problem, but the 4th (C) strings on my mandola sound incredibly dull when fretted, especially on the lower frets. They sound loud and resonant when played open, and the other strings lose hardly any resonance, volume or clarity when fretted, but on the C the difference is stark. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this, or what the solution may be?

At the moment I am using very light gauge strings, but when I tried standard gauge mandola strings it was just the same problem.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Default Re: bass string sounds dull when fretted

Hmmm... shot in the dark, here, but I'm wondering if it could be one of two things technique-wise. Can't say I play a mandola, but I do play a mandocello, and am used to low strings. With the heavier strings, I found that it was necessary to really dig in deeper with the pick to get the tone and volume I was wanting, but at the same time, if I didn't fret with enough pressure, the buzzing would be a big problem. So, try digging deeper with the pick, fret hard just behind the fret, but get off the fret fast to avoid the buzz, and see what happens. Yes, you move a little slower, but that's part of the whole violin/viola thing, too.

That's my only potential solution, if that doesn't work, I got nothin.

Could it be slightly fretting against another fret ? Any buzz? How high is your action. Perhaps when the strings are pressed, the angle caused at the bridge is muting it? That's a stretch I know. Good luck. I am sure someone will crawl out here soon and help you out.
    Its not a backwards guitar.

I think bridge problem as well, especially if there is no "buzz" indicating fret out. I would consider fitting the bridge to the top with particular attention to the bass side also perhaps the string grooves in the bridge being too deep.
    Jim Richmond

Also make sure you are fretting as close to the fret as possible without going over the top of the fret.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Thanks for the replies guys. In answer to some of the suggestions/questions:

"Digging in" would probably improve the tone a little I suppose, but I've played other mandolas whose C-string tone isn't so different from unfretted to fretted. I'd really like to know why mine is and what I could do about it.

I don't have any buzzing, and it's not fretting against any other frets. I have tried pressing right up close to the fret and it makes hardly any difference.

Perhaps some attention to the bridge might help. I have recently fitted a new bridge in the hope of improving the tone overall as I've always had this problem with this instrument, and in all other respects the tone is much improved. I gave plenty of attention to the fitting right across the whole bridge and, like I say, the unfretted tone on the C-strings is excellent. Perhaps the string angle at the bridge when I fret is part of the problem. I have set the action pretty low, so I wouldn't think the angle changes too much though.

Logically, if it sounds good when unfretted there's probably nothing wrong with the strings, not much wrong with the bridge (unless the fretted angle is significant and is changing the way the grooves hold the strings), and I've experimented with my fretting technique to no avail - then all that leaves is a possible problem with the frets themselves perhaps? I'm actually bit surprised nobody has mentioned this so far?

So can anyone think that the frets themselves might be a problem? The problem is worse on the lower frets than the mid to higher ones.

One thing is for certain, it's amazing that miniscule differences to things like bridge grooves or fit to the top can have such a huge effect on the sound!