Thread: Balls in loop-end strings?

Default Balls in loop-end strings?

I've read many discussions about removing the balls from ball-end strings in order to install them on tailpieces with string hooks. But has anyone done the opposite thing? That is, has anyone recycled used string balls and attempted to install them onto loop-end strings, so that they can then utilize a ball-end type tailpiece? I'm wondering if it's feasible to attach the balls securely and fairly easily, without harming the strings, as I'm seriously considering this as a possible option for a situation in which I'm having some difficulty finding the perfect solution.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Default Re: Balls in loop-end strings?

Re thread the ball by dropping it from the "head end" and head end through the loop? Simple!! Re inventing the wheel?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I've done it. I ordered replacement strings for my Gypsy Vagabond and sat down to change them only to find that I had purchased loop end strings for a ball end instrument. It definitely added a level of difficulty to ensure that the loop end string didn't drop the recycled ball, meaning that I wouldn't want to make it my regular practice, but it ended up fine. I have subsequently considered the GHS E250 set, tried the D'Addario EJ70's, and am currently playing the Thomastik-Infeld 154K flatwounds.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Some tips for doing this were covered in this thread.

Thanks, everyone... somehow I missed the other thread. I guess mando string balls must be significantly larger than the viola ones I have around here. Too bad I threw away that set of guitar strings that was on my Baby Taylor... will have to go poking around some music store dumpsters to find some if I decide to go this way, I guess.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

8 strings, only 4 thru body ferrules on my electric, so doubling up loops on cello string balls was fine.

I got a Big bag of string balls , guitar sorts, with the John Pearse string loop winding tool ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I've had to do this just a few times, like when I would break strings on my electric and be out of replacements for one gauge or another (always A or E). Since I almost always had plenty of acoustic strings on hand - buying them in bulk - and had the foresight to get them in the same gauges, swapping them out wasn't too difficult. I always have needlenose pliers with me, for so many reasons. Also, when I change strings, I keep the old set in my gig bag pocket, and having the ball from one of those old strings has come in handy. Plan ahead and you'll be ready when the time comes!

My method is to grip the ball with the tip of the pliers inside the hole and on the outer edge, slide the groove on the ball into the loop, and pop the ball in. Go easy on the grip so you don't cause a sharp edge which could weaken the wire. You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!