Thread: Griffin Walnut Sister

Default Griffin Walnut Sister

Something about the D'Angelico style Griffin Walnut Sister dark tone is sure appealing to me. But, I hate to rely on the sound I get form the speakers on my computer. Just wondering if anyone here has played or heard it in person, and if so, what did you think? Is anyone familiar with the builder? Thanks Jim

Default Re: Griffin Walnut Sister

JimKo: where do we see and hear this one? Please provide a link or two.

Ah, I see. They are here: Griffin Walnut Sisters (in the classifieds).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	74309.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	117207  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I like the way they look, too and they do sound pretty good in the video. I see that the non-tailfin one is a copy of a Pagelli guitar. I am always interested in designs off the beaten track.

At least he offers an approval period "3 day trial or you pay insured shipping back. Lower 48". Let us know if you do it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim, Thanks for the technical help. I meant to reference the classifieds. I have been doing some duo work lately and thought the darker (?) tone might be a good thing.

That is Cafe member dobe.
    Bill Snyder

I have a real cool resonator baritone mandola made by Dave. He's a gent to deal with and he makes great instruments. That reso mandola is my main instrument right now, I had a blast with it at the Great 48.

Eddie, cool instrument. Thanks to Jim and Bill for the info. Right now I am thinking this Sister is something I won't pursue. I really like the tone and wonder if it can be achieved without the tail fin. I am certainly not a strict traditionalist, in fact I prefer 2 points, but I have to consider that any instrument may have to be sold some day for whatever reason. I think this one might have a limited audience. Congratulations to Dobe for making a really nice sounding mandolin.

i do like the sound of that mando jim
    very full and resonant
    bet it would be superb for jazz

I haven't played either but I can say that after owning many mandolins that the Sitka/Black Walnut one I had was my favorite tone. Sitka may not have the richest top tone but it does provide a crisp response and a pretty neutral tone that is a good canvas for a great back wood to shine through. Coupled with Black Walnut I think it achieves a great balance tone wise because the walnut is richer on tone vs. maple. It's also darker as mentioned which is a personal preference for me. That mandolin was better on bass response than highs but which I think is the tendency with those woods but of course craftsmanship is the main factor in that. It also had a wider grain top vs. bear claw like these so that is another factor when considering OldGussers opinion...

For those who don't know, that "tailfin" mandolin is a copy of a Monteleone guitar (see below) which, in turn, is a copy of a D'Angelico guitar (without the scroll) (also below).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monteleone_teardrop.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	117274   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guitarheroes_53_EL.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	117275  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I knew that! In fact, as I remember the story, that D'A was built for a guitarist in a called the Teardrops, thus the shape.