Jim Richter's Blues Mandolin and Beyond - Link to Online Camp Registration and PayPal Payment
Link to PDF Registration Hardcopy

Jim Richter, the Grant Street Inn, Kimble Mandolins, and the Mandolin Cafe announce#the#4th Annual Richter “Mandolin Camp for the Rest of Us” w/ special guest Don Julin#
The 2014 third annual Jim Richter “Mandolin Camp for the Rest of Us”–with its special emphasis on rock and blues styles—will be Thursday July 24th through Saturday July 26th at the Grant Street Inn in Bloomington, Indiana.
As in 2012, the special guest instructor is acclaimed performer, composer, and author of Mandolin for Dummies Don Julin (http://www.donjulin.com). I’m very excited that Don is able to join us, as his good humor, engaging teaching style, formidable musical knowledge, and incomparable technique will provided a wonderful new layer to last year’s camp experience.
Besides rock and blues mandolin styles, this camp focuses on deconstructing the barriers that keep each of us from being the most creative and productive on our mandolins. I do not subscribe to “beginner-intermediate-expert” labeling—especially self-labeling, as I often think it undervalues or devalues the mandolinist. Creativity and ability are both spectrum-based, free of artificial levels and competition.
The curriculum, which is in final development, will cover:
• Blues mandolin
• Rock mandolin
• Jazz mandolin
• Arrangement
• Basic music theory
• Technique
• Practice routines
• Electric mandolin
• Jamming
However, like last year, the attendees will also help refine the curriculum by completing the questionnaire that is a part of the registration form. Let us know what you’d like to learn and we’ll do our best to work it into the schedule.
Returning this year will be concurrently held “special topic” classes. For example, while Don is teaching basic music theory, Jim will accept a handful of students for blues arrangement. Or conversely, while Jim is teaching a general class on practice routines, Don will hold a small group on jazz standards.
Also, 20 minutes of individual instruction is now a standard part of the camp. Given that we’ve opened this camp to around 20 attendees, we have to limit private instruction to 15 minutes. Individual instruction will be held the mornings of 7/25 and 7/26 between 9AM and 11:30AM.
Breakdown of the Camp:
Thursday 7/24:#Meet and Greet/Jam. No obligatory to attend but a good icebreaker and beginning to the camp.
Friday 7/25:#Individual sessions in AM. Classes from noon until 5PM. Jamming in the evening.
Saturday 7/26:#Individual sessions in AM. Classes from noon until 5PM. Faculty concert in the evening.
Cost:#Tuition for the workshop is $185 ($192 if paying via Paypal). This covers camp instruction, printed materials, individual instruction, and the faculty concert. It does not include dining or lodging.
Housing:#For out of town folks, I encourage you to use the Grant Street Inn as it is the center of activities and is offering a great discount for our group. Just tell them that you are booking for the Richter Mandolin Camp to ensure the $119 plus tax rate per night.
http://www.grantstreetinn.com#812-334-2353. Reduced rates are available from Wednesday 7/23 through 7/26.
Lesson Plan/Special Topic signups:#Once I receive a sufficient number of registration forms back, we will finalize our curriculum. At that time I will send each of you a schedule of classes where you can list your class preferences. After sending this back to me, I will finalize our class rosters.
Registration:#You can email me (jim@jimrichter.com) for questions or to put a hold on a spot for you. #You can register through my#online registration form#or you can fill out the last page of the registration information and submit to me via post when you mail your check. Address is on both the hard form and the online form. #Thanks!
About Jim Richter
Over the last 10 years I’ve built a reputation as a solid blues mandolinist who draws heavily from classic electric blues guitarists, such as Freddie King and Hollywood Fats. Due to my extensive background as a blues-oriented rock guitarist, I’ve garnered respect and notoriety for my mandolin renditions of tunes by Hendrix, Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin. This respect also extends to mandolin instruction, as I’ve become one of the more visible blues mandolin instructors. 2012 saw the release of my iPad interactive mandolin instructional book#Richter Mandolin. In terms of recent discography, Will Kimble and I were recently on The Road Home/Butch Baldassari Tribute CD and Gordon Bonham and I were on The Tribute to Yank Rachel CD.
About Don Julin
Don Julin#is one of Michigan’s premier instrumentalists. From jazz to folk, gypsy to avant-garde, Julin is loved for his talent and fluidity. 2012 saw Don release his CD Vibe, as well as the much acclaimed#Mandolin for Dummies, a much needed addition to mandolin instruction. 2014 will see Don’s release of Mandolin Exercises for Dummies. #Don has achieved national acclaim for his original compositions from his cd’s Tractor and Mr. Natural. Don has won national songwriting contests and his music is often heard on NPR’s radio magazine All Things Considered. Don performs thoughout the United States and Europe and has been a featured performer for the Classical Mandolin Society of America including other international events. #Don’s performances with Billy Strings over the last two years have shaken up the old time and Americana worlds.

Visit Blues Mandolin and Beyond web site...