Thread: Camel Bells on the Silk Roard

Default Camel Bells on the Silk Roard

Although Chinese, this sounds very classical to me, that's why I am posting it here.
    This instrument (ruan) is very close to a Cello. This tune would sound beautiful on an Irish Tenor Banjo. Anyone kindly help me find the score sheet.
    The only link I could find on the web is this: http://www.pinterest.com/tongxuemenh...n-sheet-music/
    These are supposed to be tabs? In any case I can't read this and need a score sheet.

Meanwhile enjoy the music

“Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hany Hayek For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Camel Bells on the Silk Roard

The example that you posted is jiǎnpǔ, a Chinese number notation and NOT a tablature.

It is fairly easy to read. In a very short amount of time, I've learned to be able to sight read it. It's intended to be a simple notation that anyone can learn (Chinese school children learn to sight sing from it in schools.)

The numbers correspond to the pitches of the western major scale. Sharps raise by 1/2 step and flats lower by 1/2 step.
    Assume quarter notes. A dash (–) indicates holding through the next beat. A zero would indicate a rest. A line below the numbers indicates eighth notes, two lines, 16th notes etc. Dots after a number function like dotted notes in western music.

That being said, this is a slightly different arrangement than what is in the video but the same tune.

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Dalton for this post:

So, since I'm on Spring Break, I decided to transcribe this into notation from this jiǎnpǔ notation:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CamelBellsOnTheSilkRoad.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	116989

I transcribed it for mandolin or octave mandolin tuned GDgd:

Name:	CamelBellsSilkRoad.mus.pdf 
Views:	177 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	116991

and for mandocello tuned DAda (similar tuning to the above performance):

Name:	CamelBellsMandocello.mus.pdf 
Views:	120 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	116990

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Dalton For This Useful Post:

Thank you so much. Although it looks quite difficult, with a lot of left hand pizzicato. I'll try to play it on the tenor banjo.
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

I am not sure about scordatura scores: do we play the note as it sounds in the alt tuning or finger it as if it were tuned to std tuning?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I am not sure about scordatura scores: do we play the note as it sounds in the alt tuning or finger it as if it were tuned to std tuning?
    I always write the sounding pitches. I find the other way to be too clumsy and confusing – like reading a bad pseudo-tablature.

Thanks, Jim!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Now I am confused. I understand what a "scordatura score" is, but how do I play this.
    Does my instrument has to be tuned GDgd and I play the notes as if I was playing with normal tuning.
    ― Victor Hugo

I think what Jim D is saying is that those notes indicate the actual sounds. I might add some fingering after retuning. I play in other tunings (mostly on fiddle) but generally never read music that way.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

13. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post: