Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Music criticism has degenerated into lifestyle reporting

Default Re: Music criticism has degenerated into lifestyle reporting

I have been observing lately that in music journalism, at least in Spain, the star is the journalist himself, and the music and the musician are mere accessories for of the writer. They write about musical journalism, and even they criticize other journalists' work. It's crazy!
    Los Hermanos Cubero
    Youtube Channel
    Cubero's Facebook
    My Facebook
    Instagram:
    @hermanos_cubero
    @robertocubero_

Quote Originally Posted by Charley wild View Post
    These days you can find the media you are looking for. And that goes for music criticism as well as about any other subject. I have no idea where to look as it isn't a subject I'm all that interested in.
    By and large--not in pop mags. Journa;ism is alive and well in the art/music journals. There are also periodicals for whatever your particular niche is

Why is pop mag journalism such as it is? Someone pointed out that it is consumer/commodity driven--therefore, the emphasis on fashion (apps, clothes, cars, clubbing, apps, etc.) rather than music; mags like No Depression, Dirty Linen (is DL out of print?), Avant, et al...usurped by gear mags.
    Last edited by catmandu2; Mar-19-2014 at 10:21am.

Jimmy Kimmel was in Austin for SXSW all last week and did a very funny bit where he interviewed people about their opinions on various "fictional" bands. Most people would not admit that they had never heard of the band, but instead went on about how good they are etc. It seems to me that music reporters are just as full of it when it comes to their own reports. It is sad. SXSW is a good example as most people are there for the "scene", not for the bands themselves. Everyone wants to be thought of as "cool".
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt. E For This Useful Post:

JimTommcgtxTonyP 

I won't get political per the guidelines, but as a student of the media and former music business journalist, I can tell you that music journalism follows the tone of all journalism these days. This is driven by economic pressures on the traditional quality media outlets and the success of social buzz. From a mandolin perspective, I really enjoy the work of the Cafe's own Bill Graham to bring this back to mandolins. There are other good music writers out there overall. I've worked with many of them over the years, but wonder where from where or even how the next crop of quality music reporters is going to emerge.

6. The following members say thank you to Elliot Luber for this post:

John, I thought it was four parts gin, one part tonic. I may be mistaken.
    It's not just music, it's media in general, news, politics, what have you. So, the media cranks out sensationalistic hype and spews it out with such saturation it makes it's own self fulfilling load of "news".
    When musicians are more known for gyrating in bad taste than how they sing or are manipulated via electronic "improvement" when does it stop being music and simply " enhanced performance technique" so to speak.
    I will stop now and watch for more fireworks!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Well, you know, in MY day there were real music critics who did real work. You young kids today have no idea what paradise was like before the big boys began putting up parking lots ... oddly enough, since I was NOT into music intellectualism much as a kid, I was very aware of how unsatisfying much pop and alt music was back in the 1960s and so on without anybody telling me differently. And this during what the author feels was the golden age of music criticism (or something). What little I remember of music criticism in the day was mostly arrogance and -- yes -- lifestyle judging. (don't like rock? you're a sell-out). And to imply that music was indigenous to cultures but didn't begin to foster messages to the masses until the music companies began marketing it is to deny protest, ironic and seditious songs from every war this planet has ever held and most reactions to governmental demands from the earliest times of kings.

Serious, in-depth discussion of any topic pretty much doesn't happen in mass market media. No space, for one thing. Anything with a circulation dependent on the public spending money will, of necessity, have to take into account what will sell. When times are plump, mass media can allow itself to indulge in the eccentric and obscure. When times get lean, profit remains the deciding factor. Serious discussion has always been found in late-night gabfests among friends, in school classrooms among the passionate devotees and in obscure and never-profitable niche publications that last for a few years and then go away when they can't sustain themselves on volunteerism and the occasional patron. Charles Dickens and Arthur Conan Doyle knew all there was to know about catering to the masses. So did Shakespeare. It's not a new phenominon by any stretch for all the hair pulling and chest-banging the author indulges in.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randi Gormley For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Music journalism ?

Really ? ...
    You mean as in oxymoron? LOL!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I read

Cybergrass
    Bluegrass Ireland
    The Session
    Celtic Folk
    Celtic Music Magazine
    The Celtic Music Fan
    Music Tech
    NPR Music
    Rolling Stone
    World Music Central
    Idolator's Music Reviews

There is a great tradition of music journalism in this country. Sorry you may have missed it.

I liked the article.
    "It's got a good beat and you can dance to it."

In all seriousness, the above line is an often quoted phrase made popular on American Bandstand, but it really goes to the core of all music journalism. Does the song/group evoke an emotion in the listener, or not? And if so, why?

The mix of ingredients analogy is meaningless. So what if the band was composed of a lead guitar, a rhythm guitar, a bass guitar, and drums? Does that imply that the Beatles sound like Johnny Cash?
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

All reporting is commentary anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    John, I thought it was four parts gin, one part tonic...
    penta: a prefix meaning 5
    tonic: fizzy water with sugar and quinine

penta - tonic: 5 parts tonic
    Isn't it obvious? (The active ingredient could be vodka I suppose, but Beefeater or Tanguray will do nicely, thank you (and yes, Bombay will do in a pinch).)

It occurs to me; I've been building instruments for a long time, I've met a lot of good musicians, quite a few great musicians, and hardly anyone from the "music industry", including music journalists. What doe's that tell me? Still trying to figure that out.

16. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

"Reporting", as a whole, has become corporate propaganda.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mandocrucian For This Useful Post:

hankJimTimbofood 

Thanks John, I guess mine were a little weak, will return to proper proportion!
    I was referring to a total but, I like yours better.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I felt that this piece gives new hope to "music journalism": http://www.baltimorebrew.com/a-revie...ltimore-arena/
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Rosett For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Rosett View Post
    I felt that this piece gives new hope to "music journalism": http://www.baltimorebrew.com/a-revie...ltimore-arena/
    So do you think he liked it ?

Certainly entertaining. Great story. Maybe a review but not sure it was journalism. Well, I guess it was in the same sense as People magazine is. Only more imaginatively written than the typical grocery store journalism. He did make me smile and reminded me why I'm almost always glad I didn't go to almost any big concert.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rosett View Post
    Absolutely entertaining ....and refreshing to hear someone so eloquently 'tell it like it is '.
    I am not a fan of Aldean's .....however I do appreciate the stress , the pressure , the "job" these newer artists commit to doing when they sign with labels . They need to tow the line more-so than perhaps any new country artist in any generation before them if they want to be performing and recording next year . It's label ( read 'corporate ') money , label producers , label song choices ( in many cases ) that dictate the way these newer acts are marketed . The pie is so much smaller , as most of us know , in the music biz since the digital era took hold and its being cut into many many many more pieces than ever . There's no room for miscalculations when it comes to a label's investment . Saying that ,I believe it's more important than ever for music/entertainment journalists to provide honest perspective to those willing to take notice . As many members have noted , that perspective is out there if we know where to find it . As is the GREAT music which seems less and less likely to find the exposure it may deserve in these tight economic times.

Bark first, Bite later Steve Zawacki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    ...It occurs to me; I've been building instruments for a long time, I've met a lot of good musicians, quite a few great musicians, and hardly anyone from the "music industry", including music journalists. What doe's that tell me? Still trying to figure that out.
    It means you are a very lucky and respected fellow....
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    So do you think he liked it ?
    I'll pass on that. I think I'd have given up and left when I found the beer was $11.50!
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    I'll pass on that. I think I'd have given up and left when I found the beer was $11.50!
    The Baltimore reviewer's is a good example of how we may feel disconnected with the entertainment du jour, and wholely indifferent to the entire milieu. If one is largely not into consuming--it's difficult to find relevance in a field of symbols and images and narratives intended to advertise and sell (to which the music is often a subsidiary element)
    Last edited by catmandu2; Mar-19-2014 at 1:41pm.

I like the music reviews in TapeOp - not much lifestyle stuff in them there.

yes, its always been this way

pete seeger was a commie.......
    elvis as a sexual threat to all society
    the Spoonful narcing on their source
    the Beatles vs. Jesus -
    the Beatles with the maharishi
    old Chuck The Perv Berry,
    the stones at Altamont
    David Crosby....too many to name
    Janet Jackson
    etc

I think its more about journalism in general and the growing lack of education in terms of arts.
    One needs to sell to not the lowest common denominator, but the one with the greatest market presence-which may be the same now.

Catmandu has it, its one more 'product to sell' beyond strictly the music. everyone loves sensation, not everyone cares about music. Everyone seems 'close' to complete strangers we see in the media, so we know them. I really DO care what Ellen DeGeneres is doing at the grocery store, DONT YOU?

I remember all too well early music critics of the Beatles in particular, referring to their music as screeching, non musical, repetitive, and of course , lyrics like I want to hold your hand, or yeah,yeah, yeah. I also remember those that pontificated that Dylan was the modern Shakespeare and would be taught in literature classes.....it goes both ways. Im not sure I actually dig art critics. They know more than I do, and I know what I like. They'll tell me why im a low brow.
    OTOH, them that do and them that teach....different perspective and appreciation.

As lester bangs said, (loosely paraphrased), its rock and roll, its supposed to be stupid.......gloriously stupid, righteously stupid.

Short of jazz and classical, that's what you're going to often get.

As musicians, does it really matter to us anyway?

Best music reviews ever were a by Jeff Gilbert's metal detector column in guitar world. I've never laughed harder at some of the one line reviews of albums.
    http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/liquidc.../jgilbert.html
    Johnson A mandolin
    Washburn M118SWK
    Yes I'm a dork and yes I like pez

30. The following members say thank you to pezdork for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pezdork View Post
    Best music reviews ever were a by Jeff Gilbert's metal detector column in guitar world. I've never laughed harder at some of the one line reviews of albums.
    http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/liquidc.../jgilbert.html
    Now that's funny, and I'm sorry to admit, I have no idea who half those bands are!

32. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

Sturgeon's Law applies to music and to writing about music. Because so much popular music across different genres is formulaic and not very interesting, the writing about it focuses on something else. But good music writing is out there and it is rewarding to read when you run across it.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy B For This Useful Post: