Thread: Weber Madison F Style Mandolin

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Default Weber Madison F Style Mandolin

There was an RSS News Feed on this from Jan 2013.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...olin-Black-Top

I just played one this past weekend at The Temecula Bluegrass Festival...really, really, nice mando that looks and feels very much like a Yellowstone. The player bought it from The Mandolin Store for around $2k last year I think he said.
    Has anyone else acquired/played one of these?

I was impressed!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Default Re: Weber Madison F Style Mandolin

I believe that has an MSRP of more than $4,000, so if it was 2g, the player probably got it used. Weber makes some fine mandolins these days, though, don't they?

I would like to have one!
    Thanks
    Gary

Gibson F5L
    Weber Gallatin

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    Yup, almost identical on the fit & finish.

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Eric F. View Post
    I believe that has an MSRP of more than $4,000, so if it was 2g, the player probably got it used. Weber makes some fine mandolins these days, though, don't they?
    I believe it was a "showroom" model, slightly used in that way; yeah he got a killer deal...it's oh so similar to a Yellowstone...nice axe!

Quote Originally Posted by Shrtbull View Post
    I would like to have one!
    So would I Bro, so would I!

add me to the list!

we have two F style Webers(Gallatins) in the house and you all have watched my latest exploration into the A world.
    It was a good learning experience and there's no other way i would have found out a couple of very important things.
    I like long scale(14") and will not be buying a mandolin unless it is that. Also, the F style works for me, the A does not.

For me, the Webers just fit so easy, so right. I like how they sound, i like how they play, i like the necks. So my quick and dirty lesson for myself(after years of buying/trading guitars, and losing lots of $ along the way)is, why fix it if its not broken.

I'm using the webers we have, but one day i do think i'd like to have one that is kinda the way i'd like it. I like that darkish brown Yellowstone TMS has right now. The soundclip sounds really nice. I like the color and appointments. But, i think the best thing for me is to sit back, play and practice a lot, and one day something will come my way.

I like this one a lot also:
    http://www.sprucetreemusic.com/weberbitterf9102.jpg

9. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

Those Madisons were a pretty limited run, and Weber isn't building that particular model anymore. If you have your eyes on one you may want to snatch it up.

Weber have made 'good' instruments for many years.I think that for some reason,that's only being discovered just now. I've seen many top players playing 'custom built' (individual builder) instruments & quite a few playing Collings mandolins. Sierra Hull did play a Weber at one time but then she went over to the dark side & switched to a Gibson. Presumably because this is what folks expected her to play. It's only recently that i came across this YouTube clip which i posted on here a few days ago :- http://youtu.be/j11SYrqaodw That Weber sounds as good as any mandolin i've heard to date & it's how my own Weber "Fern" sounds, especially since i changed to DR MD11 medium strings instead of my usual J74's,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

12. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Haley Dykes plays Webers and was my first exposure to the brand-and a different sound of the instrument other than hard driving BLuegrass. She makes it sound beautiful.

Also, a CD I recently purchased(saw it on the Home page here with a sample clip of song 4 "Presence of God"), ARDENT SPIRIT by Mark Beale, is an amazing "quiet" album of mandolin and guitar and weissenborn laid over each other. Mark is the only player and plays each instrument. He wrote/arranged all the songs I think. Anyhow, he plays a Weber on there(and its pictured on the front cover).
    I think they are high quality, easy to use, amazing instruments, and Bruce Weber is a really cool guy.

d

Registered Plec Offender Mickey King's Avatar

Mickey

Skip Kelley-Kentucky F-5
    Northfield F5S
    Collings MT

15. The following members say thank you to Mickey King for this post:

Bruce Weber makes as fine a mandolin as anyone and certainly has my respect. I am a little confused about the 10th anniversary models. These were the highest of high end mandolins one could ever conceive but I didn't hear about them until 2009 (2 yrs after the tenth anniv. of 2007) and only know of 2? Does anyone know of the whereabouts of the rest, if there are any? My guess is it was likely the onset of major problems in the economy that hindered production. Charlie Rappaport had nothing but praise for this beauty:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weber-l2.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	116983

Sean

17. The following members say thank you to sgrexa for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Weber have made 'good' instruments for many years.I think that for some reason,that's only being discovered just now....
    I've known for a while.

Need to grab a better photo sometime, but here's my 1999 Big Sky.

19. The following members say thank you to Buck for this post:

I was at a music store yesterday for a workshop, and they had an f-style Weber Bitteroot for sale at $2200. I see Weber has the MSRP at about $3700. I'm not really in the market for a new mando (not yet anyway), but MAS nearly got the better of me. But I made it out alive (or, at least my wallet did).

It surprised me to see an f Bitteroot for sale at this price, but perhaps that's my own ignorance. Is this a normal markdown from MSRP? (I assume it was a new mando, but do not really know.) This appeared to be the only Weber they had in stock.

Edited to correct price, and also to note that the mandolin I saw is listed in the classifieds at the link below. bb

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/73964
    Last edited by bohemianbiker; Mar-24-2014 at 4:19pm.

Blog Entries

If my finger holds out for a year, I will be getting another Weber Fern or a custom Yellowstone. They are all the mandolin a guy (or gal) needs!!

Data - that one looks like a custom Bitterroot to me. I think the Blacktop looks great on that one. I would rather have dot inlays and a have it say "The Weber" on the headstock and they can scrap the star thing and just leave it clean. That would make a beautiful, understated ride!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

22. The following members say thank you to Ken Olmstead for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Olmstead View Post
    If my finger holds out for a year, I will be getting another Weber Fern or a custom Yellowstone. They are all the mandolin a guy (or gal) needs!!

Data - that one looks like a custom Bitterroot to me. I think the Blacktop looks great on that one. I would rather have dot inlays and a have it say "The Weber" on the headstock and they can scrap the star thing and just leave it clean. That would make a beautiful, understated ride!!
    with you on this Ken
    dots for fretboard, leave the star off the headstock, everything else is nice
    d

24. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post: