Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this a Reputable Seller? Safetywoman67

Default Is this a Reputable Seller? Safetywoman67

There's a seller on eBay by the name of safetywoman67 she claims in the description of the mandolin I'm looking at buying she's a Loar dealer and I'm wanting to know if anyone on the forum has done business with her and can vouch for her products. She has a nice Loar LM-700vs for $777 and I'm thinking about jumping on it but I wanted to make sure she is legit before I buy. She also says she has a store in Arkansas that specializes in mandolins if anyone has been here and can tell a little about it that would be great.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is this a Reputable Seller? Safetywoman67

That's a long-time well known authorized dealer of Music Inc. products, ie., The Loar, etc. 2642 transactions with a 100% perfect record.

Whoops! wrong posting... sorry.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Has anyone personally done business with her though? I'm looking for a personal testimonial.

I believe that is the person I bought a 700vs from a few months ago.
    She treated me well ,her set up was pretty good ,she gave me a free set of strings ,good communications ,answered all my questions ,very friendly .
    Hope this helps

it does that's just what I'm looking for looking for thank you GreenMTBoy!!

I have bought two mandolins from her. The first was one of the first Loar 500's, and the second was the derelict Loar 600 that I recently refinished. She is communicative and helpful. First mandolin was setup well and I actually liked it a lot. The second had no tuners, bridge or tailpiece, but it came out pretty well. That's it in my avatar! I would definitely buy from her again. I think she actually does understand and like mandolins like she states in her ebay info
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

Clarinda also has a website for direct sales. She uses PayPal so you get the same protection you would on eBay.

I've not bought from her myself but seen plenty of good reports. It's important to realise that the majority of her eBay Loar listings are for seconds, which means that there'll be no manufacturer's warranty, just her own. If I was planning on buying from her, I'd be more inclined to do so via her website, or by giving her a call. Her website is quite clear on which instruments come with the manufacturer's warranty.

What's a 2nd? Would someone kindly explain this to me are they the same quality as The Loar's that come out of the factory? Will I get the same sound?

2nd

Buying a 'second' is generally a good way of picking up an instrument in pretty much as new condition for well under the normal new price where the instrument concerned has no more than a cosmetic blemish. However, this isn't always the case and it's as well to recognise the potential pitfalls before making a purchase.

An instrument may get sold on as a 'second' because it suffered damage that has required repair, or because it was a prototype. This recent thread involves a different seller, but also a The Loar being sold as a second that was almost certainly a prototype from several years ago, and the far from standard spec meant a distinctly unhappy buyer.

I can't see Clarinda listing a 700vs at the moment, although she did sell one earlier in the month that atypically attracted neutral feedback from a rather unreasonable buyer.

If you are specifically wanting a cut price The Loar, Clarinda is probably the best seller to go with, in that she does provide a pretty decent set-up. But as you've come to realise, there are other options when it comes to cheap mandolins. If you haven't already done so, make sure that you sign up for the Mandolin Store newsletter and you may pick up something in their next sale.

If you're not happy, don't rush to buy. There's a steady supply of The Loar seconds making their way onto the market, and another one will be along soon enough. Or buy one of the lower spec models like the LM520VS new, which would give you the full warranty and save you some money into the bargain just for forgoing some of the bling.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

"Blem", for blemished item, is often a synonym for "2nd". Per Jacob's link above, sometimes "a factory second will have failed quality inspection for cosmetic, rather than functional, reasons." Especially true for fretted instruments.

Since you'll probably put pick to instrument in real life anyway (not to mention mike stands, beer, chips, and little kids), 2nds are not a bad way to go.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

I'm just gobsmacked at the thought that Clarinda can compile an eBay rating of 2647 with no negative feedback and someone still feels the need to ask whether she's a reputable seller.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

Not everyone knows about ebay. Many on this site profess to never prowling there. Ebay is a great place to shop and you really can't beat PayPal buyer protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluejay View Post
    Not everyone knows about ebay. Many on this site profess to never prowling there.
    That doesn't apply to the OP, obviously.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Well I just wanted an opinion from fellow mandolin players on her products/services. I'm not questioning her reputation per say but you never can be too careful and for $777 for a Loar LM-700vs I wanted to make sure this mandolin was top of the line in build/quality/and sound.

Should anyone be curious and want to check out the mando I bought (I don't even know if you can look at closed auctions) the ebay item or sale number whatever it is is: 161246352721

Quote Originally Posted by Bluejay View Post
    ... Ebay is a great place to shop...
    If you know what you're doing. OP was new to the site and wanted some experienced viewpoints, which were duly provided.

Seems like a wise move to me.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Ok so here's an update: I bought the mandolin last Tuesday or Wednesday off ebay from Clarinda. She created the shipping label Friday and sent me the tracking information with USPS here it is Monday and I haven't received an email update saying it's left her place. Should I be worried here?

No. Just check the USPS tracking info. It may not have even been picked up yet.

USPS usually don't update their tracking with any regularity. It may well arrive before the tracking shows it's shipped...

I checked it. That must be what's happened I'm hoping I'll see something on it later this afternoon.

USPS does not update their tracking info for some reason . Even on their 2 day Priority mail they will tell you there is still no guarantee that it will arrive in two days .This is why I like to use UPS or FedEx ,they scan the package in and report it at every step of the journey.
    Hang in there ,she's a good dealer ,it's on its way !
    Tom

That's exactly what it was Tom 2 day priority I spoke with Clarinda just awhile ago and she said it has been sent so hopefully I'll get it by Thursday.

Just look at the bright side in a few days your going to have a new mandolin !

26. The following members say thank you to GreenMTBoy for this post:

I have some great news it arrived this morning and it is an absolutely beautiful instrument in both look and sound!! if you want to take a look at it head on over to the picture section of the forum and you'll see it!!