Thread: Found this on eBay

Default Found this on eBay

I found this on eBay and I wanted to see if anyone has dealt with them before.

http://stores.ebay.com/Simeon-Chambe...p2047675.l2563

I know nothing of wood (other than what I got from my first reading of Roger Siminoff's book and reading posts here) and was contemplating trying some of his stuff. At the price if I hose it up on my first carved top/back I can afford to experiment.

Problem is, if it comes out nice then I have to find wood to build the ribs/sides, and then bend them and etc. I am currently planning a kit, since all the wood would be there, but most of the carving would already be done.

I don't have any connection with this seller at all and make no money off him.

Ron

Default Re: Found this on eBay

The seller in question also has his own website.

I don't know whether you would consider Colonial Tonewoods within reach, but there's something to be said for going and seeing what's on offer, rather than just buying off the internet.

Colonial does look nice, but that's a little bit more than I was willing to part with for my first build. I mean, I am sure his woods are outstanding and if I did this for a living I would be shopping him directly.

Though Colonial is a few hours drive from me, I don't believe they have a storefront type of place.

I was just curious if anyone had had any business with Simeon in the past and what they thought. His positive feedback on ebay is quite impressive (didn't know there were that many people making instruments). I do a bit of business on ebay (iPod and GPS units) and use a lot of PayPal. It just seemed to make sense. 'Sides, I wouldn't feel as bad ruining a $16 front/back versus a $75 soundboard.

I know that the seller has over 6000 positive feedback but one customer posted two negative comments in January and there is one from last May. There are 3 neutral comments. Check it for yourself. Maybe he is fine.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I first used Simeon's Engelmann about 10 years ago, then had several students purchase from him over the years, then finally met him in person last fall. He is a great guy, let me wander around for an hour, had some suggestions, discussed theories, density, etc. The wood he has is great. It is really light, and I've liked every instrument that I know was built with it. I'd definitely recommend his stuff.

I have no numbers to back it up, but the wood feels overall less dense than the Red or Sitka that I usually run across, and feels generally a little less stiff, so I leave it a little bit thicker when initially carving.

Cool, I am thinking of getting a couple of pieces and carving back and front. I have never carved like this before, but I do know how to use the tools at my disposal. I haven't seen anywhere that says I can't use spruce for a back, so i guess I'm ready to dive in.

Now to figure out what's going on with my Washburn.

I bought a semi carved F-5 top from him for a re-top project. I was very happy with the wood quality, it was nice to work with. I was happy with the outcome of my project. I regret not taking photos of the project. I don't see any rough cut tops or backs currently listed.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Spruce is not recommended for backs or sides. It is too soft. You generally want a hardwood for these although Douglas Fir has been used successfully.
    Bill Snyder

I purchased 5 orphans, (10 pieces no book match) as a bit of an experiment. I am perfectly happy with what I received and would be happy to buy from him again. As a side note, all ten pieces have a different tone when I put them on the bed and thump them. Some have clear tones and others percuss. So I can say with certainty that Engelmann Spruce has quite a bit of variation.

Simeon promptly sent it, well packed with nice tone bar material. Despite ordering what is probably his lowest price per top selection, It is all nicely quarter sawn, very light and stiff with a good grain count. Any flaws on the boards will be removed by making a mandolin top.

I don't have any of his higher end wood, but his low end stuff is top notch.

Bob

Simeon is a good guy and a top notch tone wood seller in my experience.
    Gail Hester

I just finished carving a two peice top and a one piece top from Simeon in the last couple weeks. Real nice wood for the price (in my limited experience). I'll be buying from him again.

Ben

Ron, I have bought from him in the past and it was good wood. I recently bought some one piece tops. I am carving one now for an F5.

It is good to hear that you all have had good experiences with Simeon. I will bookmark his web site. Thanks to all.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Yes. Good to find a new source.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

+1 on SChambers. I have had good dealings with him on a number of occasions, buying both spruce(s) and hardwood. Glad to see he is still in the biz.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I live in Denver, so I just drove over to his workshop and picked out a couple tops. I used a two piece top on my second build and it turned out great. There was a little blemish that turned up when I started carving but it was solid and not noticeable after staining the mandolin. The second top I bought from him is a one piece and it is just sitting waiting for my next build. He has a lot of wood so there is plenty to choose from and quite a price range. I bought mid level stuff and was happy with it. Like Geoff said, it is pretty light stuff and you may be able to leave it a touch thicker than you might with red spruce. I will probably buy from him again. The only downside is that he doesn't really offer all the wood you would need to build an entire instrument, but I figure that I will end up ordering bits and pieces from a handful of places by the time it's all said and done anyway....

17. The following members say thank you to AaronVW for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    +1 on SChambers. I have had good dealings with him on a number of occasions, buying both spruce(s) and hardwood. Glad to see he is still in the biz.
    It doesn't seem that he is carrying much hardwoods. Is it possible that he has run out or is concentrating on softwoods?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I have used a lot of Simeon's Engelman spruce and you will get top notch wood. I use it for violins and fiddles. There are mandolin builders who use engelman spruce with great success. I have never been disappointed.

It's certainly soft englemann. Seems lighter than most other spruces. Not sure why he's selling such soft wood, perhaps it's all he has access to. I've used the wood and it's workable.

I'm getting ready to order a few pieces (since the price is quite good). I have been searching for reasonably priced maple for the back, but since this will be my first carve, I was hesitating buying anything pricey for it. I have even contemplated using some 1x12, or pair of 1x6 pine boards to experiment on, but they are almost as expensive as Simeon's. Our local Home Depot hasn't turned up any nice hardwoods in my searches so...

I know a lot of us don't have the greatest trust overall for things on ebay and neither do I (though I sell a lot of used personal electronics there). Most anything I buy there I consider disposable/consumable. It's always handy that I can use the money I make there (not lots, but enough for little things) to pay for my splurges. With my PayPal money, I don't have to involve my family finances or expose my bank account (don't even have a card associated with it). I have yet to acquire PayPal's CC even (don't do enough business on ebay yet).

Another vote for Simeon. Quality, service and price are great. He understands international customers.

I just bought some spruce pieces from him for a guitar restoration I'm doing with my son. Excellent, top quality Englemann, straight tight grain and quick delivery.
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!