Thread: Latest Martucci Bowlback

Default Latest Martucci Bowlback

A few pictures of my latest Martucci find. This came to me via a café member who had seen my previous posts regarding my great grandfather Silvio Martucci. It needed a general cleaning, a top crack repair, and replacement of a few inlays.

After seeing a recent post of how the fluted ribs are carved it really makes me appreciate this mandolin even more.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5024a.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	340.8 KB 
ID:	116572Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5025a.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	254.7 KB 
ID:	116573Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5027a.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	261.5 KB 
ID:	116574Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5029a.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	264.3 KB 
ID:	116576Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5031a.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	356.0 KB 
ID:	116577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5035a.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	305.5 KB 
ID:	116578

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martucci For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Latest Martucci Bowlback

A very fine looking instrument. Was your great grandpa Silvio Martucci building mandolins in America (New York ?) ?
    Has it been difficult locating his instruments ? Do you have any of his tools, business books etc ?

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Peter, the Martucci saga has been (unfortunately) spread out over a number of independent threads, rather than consolidated into one.

Martucci

More Martucci

Philadelphia, it seems. Maybe some work with Weymann as well, which then makes for possible links back to Northern NJ and possibly NY.

Nice looking mandolins. I've never played one, but my hunch is that they would be pretty hot.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

5. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

peterk 

Thanx Mick, that is some convoluted read. OK, I must ask. who on earth is Giuseppe Severini, and why does he do time travel ?

Quote Originally Posted by peterk View Post
    A very fine looking instrument. Was your great grandpa Silvio Martucci building mandolins in America (New York ?) ?
    Has it been difficult locating his instruments ? Do you have any of his tools, business books etc ?
    Peter,

In the past three years I've been able to locate 3 mandolins, 2 guitars, and 1 ukulele. I do not have any of his tools but my father has a nice collection including, files, planes, saws and clamps. He even has my GGF's original workbench. I've got a very nice wooden tool box handmade by my GGF along with a large jar of his inlays. I do not have any business documents but I have collected some nice family photos and historical documents regarding his life back to Naples, Italy.

And thank you Mick for directing Peter to my previous posts. If possible it would be nice to consolidate them as one.

Sincerely, Fred

8. The following members say thank you to Martucci for this post:

MLT 

Thank you Fred, that's a sort of a heritage which I feel we ought to be proud of, celebrate and pass along to younger generations if possible at all. My grandfather's brother was an independent master stonemason in Venezia, under a standing contract by the city for maintainance of stonework of more important public edifices. We have always been very proud of him, everybody in Venezia knew and respected him, and they spoke of his huge powerful hands hardened beyond belief by many years of handling limestone, granite and marble with no gloves.

10. The following members say thank you to peterk for this post:

MLT