Thread: "Tell Me Baby, Why You Been Gone So Long?" Tab?

Default "Tell Me Baby, Why You Been Gone So Long?" Tab?

I love this song and can't get it out of my head. Anybody got this tabbed out? I'd be curious to get someones POV on it as I can't seem to find the right notes.

Blog Entries

Default Re: "Tell Me Baby, Why You Been Gone So Long?" Tab?

Great tune, I love the old/older version of Clarence "The Man" White doing that one! Don't have any tab but sure love his guitar work on it !,well pretty much anything he does. I Know there was an old Clarence Tab book out there but it must've been rare? It was darn expensive.

Yes, Clarence is a god. I prefer the Colonels version over his more Bluesy version. And I can't help but appreciate Tony's version the most. The Henhouse Prowlers do a good job of it too. I also saw a version on youtube with Drew Emmitt and a whole cast of characters backstage at a jam. Great song. I bet that book is great.

Tony plays this great Micky Newberry tune in the key of E. He has a capo at the fourth fret, so he's using a C chord pattern. It's pretty basic -- C-F-C-G, which repeats all the way through the song.
    awm

He plays lead in E and and the chords in C? I've been playing the chords in C and faking the melody in C too, maybe that's why I can't get it.

Mandolinist out of Atl
    Blog Entries

I know the White Brother's version where Clarence sings it. I think from, "Live in Sweeden," a great album!

I could tab it for you. I do think AW is correct the chords are only C, F and G. If you'd like a tabledit file for it I can throw it together and post a link. Let me know? Tabbing out a solo would take me a little longer, as would transcribing a break you have in mind

For me learning to read chord charts, in addition to tab as well as notation has helped me learn tons of songs. It opened up a new world of, "Fake Books," and Folk Song anthologies. I now prefer chord charts, but it took me some time. Best of luck.

Ya I can play the chords no problem, but have been playing G7 instead of G. If you don't mind tabbing the basic melody, than I can work on my own solo/breaks.

I agree that the "Live in Sweden" album is a great album, but I think that the best version of this song is by the Desert Rose Band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXYLvsPYq1w

John Jorgensen, Jeez ...

Quote Originally Posted by JRcohan View Post
    I know the White Brother's version where Clarence sings it. I think from, "Live in Sweeden," a great album!

Quote Originally Posted by wsugai View Post
    but I think that the best version of this song is by the Desert Rose Band

Quote Originally Posted by JWalterWeatherman View Post
    And I can't help but appreciate Tony's version the most.
    I am with Walter on this one.

I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Are you trying to play this on the guitar or the mandolin? On mando you need to be playing in the key of E. Which means your chords are E, A, and B. On guitar Tony is playing out of a C position with the capo on the 4th fret, so you're hearing the key of E.

Just to add to the confusion: Yes, the tune is in E, but Tony is capoed at the 2nd fret, playing out of the D position, while Wyatt is capoed at the 4th fret playing out of the C position.
    awm

Good catch!