Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Visit to Carter Vintage Guitars

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A Visit to Carter Vintage Guitars

Lovely , just lovely..... Walter and Christie are both instrument wise and wonderful hosts. I told them up front I couldn't afford to buy a really expensive instrument and was encouraged to play them anyway. What a gift. I can't say enough nice things about this store / venue. I wish I was closer. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Great article, boss. Have to visit next time I get up that way. Planning to leave my wallet locked in the truck, however.

I was visiting in Nashville this past weekend and having read Scott's article, stopped by Carter's Vintage Guitars, just a stone's throw from the Station Inn. Nice place, very friendly folks. I did step up into the "second floor" room and saw those amazing Loar instruments behind glass. I didn't ask to play one, but my guess is they would have let me. Thanks for the article.

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    Lovely , just lovely..... Walter and Christie are both instrument wise and wonderful hosts. I told them up front I couldn't afford to buy a really expensive instrument and was encouraged to play them anyway. What a gift. I can't say enough nice things about this store / venue. I wish I was closer. R/
    Three years later, the story is still the same, and the staff is as top-notch as the owners. A buddy and I went to Carter's before and after our week at the Swannanoa Gathering, and had the same experience that UsuallyPickin had. If I lived closer, I'd probably just set up direct deposit.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    If I lived closer, I'd probably just set up direct deposit.
    Too funny (but also brilliant).

Blog Entries

Noting the anniversary of this article published this date 2014.

Blog Entries

Walter Carter is the guest on this week's Mandolins and Beer Episode.

8. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

a superb interview... one of the best thus far...

10. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

Visited Nashville last fall about this time. Spent a few hours at Carter’s. What an amazing place! Highly recommend a visit if you are ever in the area.

Thought I’d just add to this thread. My wife and I went yesterday and had a very enjoyable time. She played the guitars and I played the mandolins. Played 2 F4s, the Bill Monroe Gibson, the Giacomel oval hold, a Kimble and a Collings F5 varnish. They were all ok but none floated my boat, but I’ve already bought 2 this year. My thrill was holding the Tarver Bigsby 5 string just like Tiny’s. Didn’t plug it in but the mando was light, it has 2 hollow chambers, and had nice, easy fingering. It was $50k, so I put it back.

My wife played some Gibson guitars, a Martin or two, and some small maker instruments. She bought a very expensive shirt and they threw in the guitar she liked. I knew she wanted the shirt more than she did, so she was very comfortable. The fellow who helped me with the Bigsby helped her with the shirt and was very nice. Put a strap pin on the guitar and it shipped that day. Be home a day after us.

I thought the store was reasonably busy with at least 2 other groups on destination visits, and probably 6-8 other folks. Very pleasant time and certainly a place to try instruments side by side in quiet rooms. The folks are right there to help but not all over you to buy anything. Lovely shopping experience but I didn’t even get a pick.

I do have my eye on a hat

Btw, made the obligatory trip to the Country Music HOF, which was fun, but the African American Music Museum was terrific. No cars but great music and wonderfully told stories.
    Last edited by Bill McCall; Apr-26-2023 at 4:15pm. Reason: Add museums
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

13. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post: