Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just got a Tone Gard

Default Re: Just got a Tone Gard

someone is powder-coating my old round wire rattle can painted ones , for me.

he will add it in when someone else gets a big car part done,

firing up the 3 phase 440v oven to pizza burning levels is not cheap.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Anybody has one on a collings mt? Does it fit in the case?

garded

Quote Originally Posted by RobP View Post
    Anybody has one on a collings mt? Does it fit in the case?
    only if you are prepared to modify the padding in the case. It's too tight otherwise, and the "padding" is not forgiving at all. It's more like cardboard.

Would it not make more financial sense to just buy and eat less food instead? ;-)
    1956 Levin Palermo 'A' style
    2010 The Loar LM-600
    Eastwood electric mandolin
    Loads of guitars gathering dust

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaskAle View Post
    Would it not make more financial sense to just buy and eat less food instead? ;-)
    Have you tried that. Its impossible.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    only if you are prepared to modify the padding in the case. It's too tight otherwise, and the "padding" is not forgiving at all. It's more like cardboard.
    So do you take it off ever time you use it? Is it meant to take on and off?
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

the one i ordered for my weber hyalite arrived yesterday. haven't had much time to play with it on, but it does seem to have a richer sound and more volume too. and yes, it does fit in my weber case.

garded

Quote Originally Posted by RobP View Post
    So do you take it off ever time you use it? Is it meant to take on and off?
    The place it's too tight is around the sides where the arms make it too tight. Some folks cut the liner and take the padding out where the arms are. Some take the shank of a phillips screwdriver and lay it across the same 3 places in the padding and press real hard or take a mallet and whack the shank to make an impression in the padding. A lot of folks just get another case.

Yes, it's easy to take off and put on. As long as it's the same mandolin and you are not radically adjusting the arms for different mandolins(there are different sizes) there's no problems. The problem is, when it's not on the mandolin in the case that's when it gets bent, lost or sat on. Or all three.

The one on my Lebeda fits in the Peg case , and the one on the A4 fits in its original case OK.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Some take the shank of a phillips screwdriver and lay it across the same 3 places in the padding and press real hard or take a mallet and whack the shank to make an impression in the padding.
    That's the method that Sam Gifford suggested to me although he did not specify a Phillips, a Robertson would do.

garded

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    That's the method that Sam Gifford suggested to me although he did not specify a Phillips, a Robertson would do.
    .....or a wood dowel, just figure most people have a screwdriver layin' 'round somewhere. And most with hi end cases that have real soft padding in them don't have a problem.

Blog Entries

I just got a custom one from Tony for my Eastman Mandola, it is awesome as usual!!

This thread just reminded me that I need to send my check for my Vintage A model...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    maybe he lives in the usa lol

garded

yup, you're right. So a Robertson is the same as a Phillips?

yup, you're right. So a Robertson is the same as a Phillips?
    A Robertson screwdriver (also called a square drive screwdriver) is a type of screwdriver with a square-shaped tip with a slight taper.Robertson screws are used mainly in Canada (where they are very common), though they can be found elsewhere.
    A Phillips Screwdriver is one that has a cross-shaped tip rather than the rectangular tip of a standard flat-blade screwdriver. This type of screwdriver is used with Phillips screws, and its tip is specifically designed to fit into the head of these screws.

Joined the Tone Gard brigade today and I must concur it is THE best way to upgrade...much less expensive than the 2008 Gibson Goldrush I almost bought at Merlefest. My Northfield F5S just became a much different animal.
    "A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to leave alone."

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny60 View Post
    Hi folks,

just to say that 4 of us here in the UK recently decided to bite the bullet and place a "bulk" order for 4 Tone Gards. They arrived yesterday, and I just want to say that it's great!

I've only got an Eastman 505, so it's not exactly a high value instrument, although it's always sounded good. The Tone Gard has done exactly what it says on the tin! It's increased the volume, but most of all it's increased the tone, sustain and punch of the instrument. The sound "pops" more if you're sitting in front of the mando and, as the player, the sound of the instrument really envelops you.

One of the other guys has a Summit (F100 I think?). It's always been a very loud and punchy mando, but with the Tone Gard on it has turned into the proverbial bluegrass cannon.

Very, very happy with my purchase. I have zero financial interest in this, but just wanted to pass on my thoughts.

By the way, whilst perusing the Tone-Gard website I noticed that they can even do one for a banjo. Just what we all need, banjo players with EVEN louder instruments!!
    I have been using my Tone-Gard for 2 weeks now, and like most everyone else I can vouch for the fact that it allows more volume and a better tone to come through. Be aware that since it adds some depth to the mando, it may be hard to close the case. Mine will close but I feel it is compressing something, so I just keep the instrument out of the case. Also, if you have an arm rest the leather pads on the Tone-Gard may come into contact withe arm rest's metal clamp. Tony told me that if this happens, just pull off that leather pad and move it to another location using gel super glue. I did that and it fits fine now.

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Mine's on its way - it's a vintage because my mando is just over 10" across the wide measurement. I did send Tony a pic so that he could confirm this.
    Let y'all (that's me being "american" to make you feel comfortable) know when I get it....
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

The Tone-gard - armrest combo is hard to beat. Both the back and top will vibrate more freely. I like that I can use the pins on the side of the TG to hold my K&K Silver Bullet microphone in place for my Sundays with the Praise Team band. Plus Tony is great, I consider him to be a good friend.

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Hm. Well I'm holding off any more additions so armrest is a bit of a way off - however I received my tonegard today and like everyone says.... increase in tone .. wow... i can hear a distinctly more woody tone .. very inspiring

v satisfied...
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website