Thread: I need a tip or 2

Default I need a tip or 2

Playing simple melody lines is a good thing and something I really like problem is adding the spices to them to make them come alive.
    So give am a few ideas, I play a simple melody line and stick in an arpeggio or 2 some scale notes, trying to change the scale with the chord changes but it still sounds dull and lifeless, simple melody lines sound good but every time I try and add the spices I just don't get that melodic sound I'm looking for ?
    I sit in those jams and watch some of those folks smoke that fretboard really sounds good. I know years of practice makes this happen and I'm certainly willing to pay my dues, but I just feel like there is a piece of the puzzle missing ?
    I played a New Jam last Saturday and there was a mandolin teacher doing some picking after the jam he and I talked about lessons and he said listening to me I was real close to where I want to be and I plan on getting some lessons from him next month.
    Anyone got some advice for me in the mean time ?
    Thanks Iron

Blog Entries

Default Re: I need a tip or 2

Couple of ideas for you. In addition to knowing the melody line, know the chords. Where possible, while playing the melody note, put down some other fingers to make the chord that goes there. Not always possible, but frequently it is. At the very least knowing the chords that go there, and how you might be able to reach some of the notes of that chord, will give you some ideas.

Play the tune enough to have a feeling for it. Where are the pauses, where are the melodic landings, that kind of thing. Then, for improvising ideas, start at the same place, and pause and land at the same places same notes, but be creative in getting from one to the other.

Just some ideas. Your teacher will be of much more help.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Thanks Jeff, when I get to a melodic landing (tone note?) I been practicing a closed scale up the fretboard, maybe a good place to throw in an arpeggio ?
    I don't own any licks but I'm thinking now the time to own a few ?

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Double stops are your friend.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

6. The following members say thank you to billhay4 for this post:

hank 

Quote Originally Posted by billhay4 View Post
    Bill
    Give me an example of how you would use double stops on a song like "WILL THE CIRCLE BE UNBROKEN"
    Thanks Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billhay4 View Post
    Bill
    This. Which is what JeffD was getting at too. Try to fit in as many double-stops as you can, without overloading or bogging down your melody. Find open ringing notes where they fit. And don't be afraid to tremolo the longer notes, or throw in some trills, pull-offs, hammer-ons, slides, etc.

Best way to find interesting ways to spice up a plain melody is to listen very closely to what others are doing and steal their ideas! For instance, if you want to play a simple tune like St. Anne's Reel, go to YouTube and watch as many videos as you can of people playing it on the mandolin. Then form your own mash-up of them all. You'll hear a lot of variation in what they're doing, with parts you really like. Make it an exercise in documenting what you want to do with it, and put it together like a puzzle, using the pieces you stole from others.

The point of the exercise is not necessarily to patch together a tune from bits and pieces, but to learn how to construct interesting variations with the simple tools that make up the mandolin repertoire.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    This. Which is what JeffD was getting at too. Try to fit in as many double-stops as you can, without overloading or bogging down your melody. Find open ringing notes where they fit. And don't be afraid to tremolo the longer notes, or throw in some trills, pull-offs, hammer-ons, slides, etc.

Best way to find interesting ways to spice up a plain melody is to listen very closely to what others are doing and steal their ideas! For instance, if you want to play a simple tune like St. Anne's Reel, go to YouTube and watch as many videos as you can of people playing it on the mandolin. Then form your own mash-up of them all. You'll hear a lot of variation in what they're doing, with parts you really like. Make it an exercise in documenting what you want to do with it, and put it together like a puzzle, using the pieces you stole from others.

The point of the exercise is not necessarily to patch together a tune from bits and pieces, but to learn how to construct interesting variations with the simple tools that make up the mandolin repertoire.
    Thanks Tobin, I think the real problem here is finding places to put those licks/slides etc. in the melody at least that's what bothers me.
    I can learn a short lick pretty quick, knowing how where to put it in, there's where the problem arises

Quote Originally Posted by Iron View Post
    Thanks Tobin, I think the real problem here is finding places to put those licks/slides etc. in the melody at least that's what bothers me.
    I can learn a short lick pretty quick, knowing how where to put it in, there's where the problem arises
    That's why it really helps to listen to what others are doing. Consider it research. If you can copy their style and use the licks like they are doing, you can start to develop them on your own and learn where they sound good and where they don't. There's no "rule book" for this, and there's no set of recommended procedures for how to use accents like this. You just have to keep listening and watching others do it, then start doing it yourself via experimentation to start picking up your own sense of style.

12. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Iron 

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Tipping is optional

But doublestops are not. Can't live without them.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

14. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Iron 

Check out Matt Flinner's on-line course (http://www.mattflinner.com/2013/09/b...-matt-flinner/) . An hour (or longer!) twice a week for 8 weeks ($200!!)! I am finishing my first course this next week (and have already signed up for another beginning in April). I was in the exact same boat as you are and I can now say that I have insight and clear direction about how to accomplish this same goal! Highly Recommend!
    Grady F5 (#65)
    Harmony A Model ("The Scorcher")

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. I WILL learn to play this thing !(adapted from Coolidge)

16. The following members say thank you to dubblestop for this post:

Iron 

There are 2schools of thought concerning this thread. I think it was Monroe that said learn everything everybody was doing and then do none of it. The other is learn and do something from anyone you hear. A friend of mine,who is a simplitic old time mandolin player, told me that Dempsey Young(who had worked in my friends store at one time) told him that he picked up something from everyone,Dempsey played a little riff and told my friend that came from him. My friend said he didn't or couldn't do that, at which point Dempsey played the same thing with different timing that my friend knew. My point is what ever you do, where ever it comes from, MAKE IT YOURS, and have fun

This book by John McGann illustrates some great ways to add personal variations to fiddle tunes.
    Mitch Russell

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Go back to Jeff's post and look for the pauses and extended notes in the songs. That's a good place for either a double stop, a tremolo, or an embelleshment on the melody.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO