Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worship Music

Default Worship Music

I have recently been invited to play with the praise band at church. We are a back country church so an acoustic band is the norm. I am discovering that because contemporary worship music has been written more for a guitar, I am having a hard time playing the same chords on the mandolin. I know some of you have mentioned that you also play in the church band and was hoping that you could share some wisdom on how you overcame the differences. Thanks for any advice!
    Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.
    Ps. 100:1

Blog Entries

Default Re: Worship Music

I cheat the chords when ever I can. If there is a guitar in the band, I figure the guitar will have all the notes, and especially for a passing chord, I don't need to play all the notes of the chord. So I use a three finger or even two finger cheats for the chords I don't know.

There are many portable cheat chords that can be used anywhere up or down the neck.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

When I have played mandolin with our worship band (in which I usually play lead/electric guitar), I view the mandolin as fitting in the same "space" as the lead guitar. You already have a rhythm/acoustic guitar covering the chords of the song, so there is no need for the mandolin to simply strum and do the same thing.

Instead, I look to do the same thing that I do on lead guitar, which is play little "fills" or lead lines over the basic chord structure. Spaces in between the vocal lines of a verse or chorus, or transitions from verse to chorus or chorus to verse, are great places for these little fills and leads to pop out a little more. I just then do the same type of thing under the vocals, just a little more drawn back.

Hopefully all that makes sense. A good song to describe what I am talking about is "Remember When" by Alan Jackson. The way the mandolin fits into that song is exactly the approach that I take fitting into contemporary worship music.
    J Bovier A5
    Shawnee Creek A-9 style
    Blue Chip/Wegen picks, Tone Guard
    K&K Twin Spot
    Mando pedalboard: Behringer ADI21 preamp, Boss CS-2 Compressor, Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ

Quote Originally Posted by plawren53202 View Post
    When I have played mandolin with our worship band (in which I usually play lead/electric guitar), I view the mandolin as fitting in the same "space" as the lead guitar. You already have a rhythm/acoustic guitar covering the chords of the song, so there is no need for the mandolin to simply strum and do the same thing.

Instead, I look to do the same thing that I do on lead guitar, which is play little "fills" or lead lines over the basic chord structure. Spaces in between the vocal lines of a verse or chorus, or transitions from verse to chorus or chorus to verse, are great places for these little fills and leads to pop out a little more. I just then do the same type of thing under the vocals, just a little more drawn back.

Hopefully all that makes sense. A good song to describe what I am talking about is "Remember When" by Alan Jackson. The way the mandolin fits into that song is exactly the approach that I take fitting into contemporary worship music.
    This is exactly what I was going to post. Let the guitar[s] carry the main load of the rhythm and use the mando to kick off songs, fill open spaces, play off the melody line of the lyrics, etc. It's a blast to play in such a setting with a mandolin, and you don't have to be an excellent or seasoned player to find things of value to add. Often less is more.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

Traveling Tracks Traveling Tracks's Avatar

I play twice a week with my Methodist Church Praise Team....acoustic guitar, double bass, and myself on mando with ten people singing.
    Sight reading about six new tunes/hymns a week really has helped push my chops up.
    It really burns the guitarist (who capo's up) that I can read/play in the flat keys like F, Eb, Bb, etc...without much trouble....just works easier on mandolin than on guitar. So you've actually got a break since a lot of hymns are in those keys.
    I always play out of the "guitar edition" of our three hymnals...which indicates chord progressions.
    Also, regarding the role of mandolin, I also play very rhythmically in the group as we don't have a percussionist/drummer...so you can kind of fill that role as well.
    Collings MF

Thanks everyone! I'm feeling a little better about my place in the group. Will need to work on dissecting the chords to create those "fill" sections.

I was on a contemporary worship team for 15 years (mostly singing) 6 of which I was playing mandolin as well as singing. Echoing many of the other posts I used it to compliment or accentuate, with cool fills or arpeggios. We were more of a rock band with a strong acoustic base. Dynamics can be very moving with an electric band dropping down to acoustic guitar and mandolin with pure vocal harmonies, very powerful! The great thing about a band is there are many pieces making up the whole, you don't have to carry everything. Really it's easy to play too much!
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

It's true about playing fills and single-note lines, especially in slower pieces. (But the more you know about chord theory, the better you'll know which notes to use.) On faster, more rhythmic tunes, strumming along can be more appropriate.

I recommend getting a good chord book and expanding your knowledge of chords. I don't see many chords in worship songs that have more than four notes. Sevenths, sixths, seconds, and suspensions can all be played on the mandolin if you know the right fingerings. When you get into more complex jazz chords, that's when you have to leave out a note here or there. And when there's an altered chord, (2, 6, 7, or sus4), the added note is the one you should play.

The last couple of times I've played with my worship band, I've had to fill in for the bass player. It turns out playing bass is almost the exact opposite of playing the mandolin ... not only in size and tuning but in terms of where the notes go and how you use them.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

10. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

mrmando... didn't you used to write a mandolin column for Worship Musician? If that was you I have referred to those articles many times...

OK, I know I will get blasted for saying this, but I've played worship music at church every weekend pretty much continuously since 1978 and when I started converting from mostly-guitar to mostly-mandolin in the early 90's, I handled the strange keys the same way I had on guitar: With a capo. As you will see from threads on this topic, mandolin purists don't like capos, but it's just a tool and there are some important names in mandolin playing who have used them.

The last 10-15 years, I've weaned myself off it, not because there is anything wrong with it (I still keep one in my case), but for three reasons: 1) I've developed the ability to sound better in most keys, on most tunes, playing melody using closed scales and rhythm using closed chords, (I will happily play chords and melody on a tune in Eb this weekend!), 2) Church choir directors have a bad habit of changing keys in rehearsal to kowtow to the lead singers and if you can't change on the fly, you're SOL, 3) I pretty much use an OM exclusively for rhythm now and I do use a capo on that.

But it's worth getting into Worship music if you are so inclined. Besides the spiritual aspects, it's a great training ground for learning to play the mandolin and learning to play with an ensemble and in front of an audience. If the use of a capo will make it easier for you to start, use one!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Flynn For This Useful Post:

I agree with everything stated thus far (other than capos, but for personal reasons).

One thing I do that hasn't been mentioned is that on many of the hymns that we do, I will play either the alto or tenor line. This helps me a bunch, since I can sight read in either clef very well for single note lines, much better than I can read quickly-changing extended chords. I'm fine with those on guitar, but my mandolin playing hasn't reached my guitar skill level yet.

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thinking the mandolin is a "little guitar" is the first mistake many guitar converts make in the transition to mandolin. A guitar-oriented contemporary praise band usually already has plenty guitar, so the mission here is to fill in. Playing clacky, clacky chords risks rhythmic confusion, and the truth is, being the higher of the two, the mandolinist gets blamed first for not syncing with the band in high energy, complex strumming.

Do what the mandolin does differently. Three main things: tremolo, soprano melody, and cross-picking. You can do the occasional strong backbeat (chop), but keep it simple if the guitar is already playing a rhythm. Exploit the melodic opportunity in the quiet, intimate moments of the music with gentle tremolo (it will move people like nothing else), and if you can develop a good cross-picking technique, you can give the band energy.

More: Guitar to mandolin
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ted Eschliman For This Useful Post:

I started playing with my chruch a few months ago and am having a blast. I now get twice a week jamming!!! I also learn more chords and other ways to add to the music. It also has helped me in the my bluegrass life. I basically support the singers, fills, etc. But I just let it flow into the fret board and out to the chruch. I use an App SMART CHORDS to find the chords I never have played before, and when I am playing I have it open so I can see were the fingering of that songs scales are on the frets. It helps. If there is a C#maj7, ( some of you know it, but not me, yet), I just play the C#. It works for me an I have also learn to step into the mic and when to step back. What ever you do...Don't stop sharing your blessings .

This is all wonderful info! I am excited about the opportunity! I know that it will stretch and grow my mandolin playing. I played piano for YEARS so I music theory has not been an obstacle for me; been on the mando almost 2 years now. I enjoy it so much better as I feel there is a lot more freedom in playing. Piano playing is black and white (literally) so my struggles have come in breaking down the chords and scales and then implementing that into playing. Its a continual learning process but I am having so much fun!! Thanks for all the good info!

Blog Entries

I am with you all that are including mandolin in the church praise team. I am the accompanying guitarist and backing vocalist and sometimes the mandolin is just the right accent. It is great even at times with just two finger-open chords, when necessary, since I am less experienced on the mandolin, but the sound is so distinct on the microphone that it adds a flavor to the total sound. Add a few tremolo strums here and there and it is a great touch. I am working hard to hone my skills so that I can better play full, four finger chop chords for blue grass rhythm on traditional hymns, though we also play contemporary rock.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by albeham View Post
    If there is a C#maj7, ( some of you know it, but not me, yet), I just play the C#.
    Yeah, but once you figure out that the 7th in that chord is a B#, you can play the B# and it'll sound even better.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

21. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Babasin View Post
    mrmando... didn't you used to write a mandolin column for Worship Musician? If that was you I have referred to those articles many times...
    Yes, that's me, and I hope to write some more ... been so crazy-busy I have missed a couple of deadlines. What topics would you like me to address further?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by plawren53202 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Traveling Tracks View Post
    I play twice a week with my Methodist Church Praise Team....acoustic guitar, double bass, and myself on mando with ten people singing.
    Sight reading about six new tunes/hymns a week really has helped push my chops up.
    It really burns the guitarist (who capo's up) that I can read/play in the flat keys like F, Eb, Bb, etc...without much trouble....just works easier on mandolin than on guitar. So you've actually got a break since a lot of hymns are in those keys.
    I always play out of the "guitar edition" of our three hymnals...which indicates chord progressions.
    Also, regarding the role of mandolin, I also play very rhythmically in the group as we don't have a percussionist/drummer...so you can kind of fill that role as well.
    Excellent advice, I pretty much do a combination of the above. I try to either play the melody line, or fill in between the guitars and keyboards.

Plus, don't forget dynamics. It's easy for me to over play if I don't watch myself. I always try to back of on the verse, come back in on the second part a bit, then lead up to the refrain. On most songs, I don't need to push all the way through.

BTW, anyone else play in a Catholic choir?
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Yes, that's me, and I hope to write some more ... been so crazy-busy I have missed a couple of deadlines. What topics would you like me to address further?
    I actually stopped subscribing a couple of years ago but I have 4 years of back issues and your article is really why I keep them. Much good advice, tips and techniques. In fact this is inspiring me to go dig through them when I get home tonight. I would recommend the magazine to the OP and folks that are posting on this thread particularly for this article! I saw and met Bruce (the editor) at several different Worship Leader conferences here in Sacramento. For the last couple of years I have been concentrating on repairing and refurbishing instruments, and writing songs mostly. Oh and wrestling my 6 grandkids (Yikes!)... I came back to add thanks for your contribution, it gave me a place to start and plenty of helpful advice when I switched from guitar to mandolin!

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bob View Post
    Excellent advice, I pretty much do a combination of the above. I try to either play the melody line, or fill in between the guitars and keyboards.

Plus, don't forget dynamics. It's easy for me to over play if I don't watch myself. I always try to back of on the verse, come back in on the second part a bit, then lead up to the refrain. On most songs, I don't need to push all the way through.

BTW, anyone else play in a Catholic choir?
    I play in a Catholic choir. PM me about it if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Skipenguin101 View Post
    I played piano for YEARS so I music theory has not been an obstacle for me; been on the mando almost 2 years now. I enjoy it so much better as I feel there is a lot more freedom in playing.
    +1. I enjoy the increased ease in portability too!

Quote Originally Posted by albeham View Post
    I started playing with my chruch a few months ago...
    This typo got me wondering....if you use a capo on a mandolin in church is it a chrutch?

29. The following members say thank you to mandolirius for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    This typo got me wondering....if you use a capo on a mandolin in church is it a chrutch?
    Nope. It's devine inspiration ........ or intervention.
    Eric

31. The following members say thank you to BlueMt. for this post:

Eric Hansen

Hey Austin Bob, I too play in a Catholic Church choir. And also since the 70's. (Actually 2 masses each Sunday). First mass is a children's choir of about a dozen. Second is about a half dozen adults. Our ensembles are pretty small; piano, guitar, mandolin, some hand percusion. woodwind at the second mass.

I play mandolin or bass depending on the song. I use the tips mentioned above about putting in fills and melody lines and rhythm bits. (Tremelo ,yay!) The piano and guitar work the rhythm, piano also adds some melody/harmony. I try to fit in between all that.

I'll use a capo too. It's a very handy tool. We will slide a song's key around to make it more comfortable to sing. Depending on the song, sometimes picking a melody line works, others are fine with strumming. Sometimes a song needs the bass rather than the mando's trebly bits.

Some of These songs are short and we will play thru all the verses a few times. This gives us great opportunities to try different back up techniques within the same song, improve a different harmony line each verse, change dynamics, etc. it keeps the song interesting for the band and congregation.

We have been working out of the GIA Gather hymnals. It's great fun and always a challenge. Worship music is great for the soul and your chops.
    Eric H

Aloha a hui hou
    mandolin no ka 'oi

Our church has a very strong Mexican heritage, and we often do songs in Spanish. The mandolin leads itself very nicely to many of those songs, here's a favorite of mine from the Flor y Canto:

[YOUTUBE[/YOUTUBE]
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.