Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got any St Paddy's Day Gigs Coming Up?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Got any St Paddy's Day Gigs Coming Up?

Hi Doug and all others
    that sure sounds like fun! The closest thing I have coming up is a hobbies' fair. Looking forward to that. Anyhow that's fifteen March. Will play a song or two there.

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Blog Entries

Found this one and though it may be useful for you giging hibernophiles,
    you might want to print it and put it out front while you play

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10003955_671758966203802_983709001_n.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	116628

Fogra / Notice

March 17th
    is
    Saint Patrick's Day, Patrick's Day
    Saint Paddy's Day, Paddys's Day

IT IS NOT

Saint Patty's Day, Patty's Day
    Not this year. Not last year. Not ever

Happy St Patrick's Day
    from
    Dublin airport
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

No gig today, but I'll be playing "King of the Fairies" for my grandchildren!
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

I burned out on it a few years back, but my fiddler S.O. and I are helping out some friends who got a bar gig tonight. It'll be fiddle, concertina, recorder, mandolin (and a bit of flute). Possibly another fiddler if he shows up.

I'm usually reluctant to do these things because neither of us sing, and most audiences on St. Patrick's Day aren't looking for nonstop instrumentals. In this case though, we're doing the early show as basically an amplified informal session, not exactly a band performance. We've done a couple of rehearsals to figure out what tunes we have in common, and came up with a list of around 50 tunes. We'll punt from there.

Then we're followed by a Clancy Brothers-style Irish song band. So the late night crowd will get the songs, the Happy Hour crowd gets our instrumental trad. Whether they like it or not.
    Lebeda F-5 mandolin, redwood top
    Weber Yellowstone F-5 octave mandolin

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

My band, Desperado, is playing at an Irish pub/restaurant called Molly Blooms in San Clemente. We played there last year and they requested us to come back. Bluegrass with a heavy dose of fiddle tunes.
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Two today, just finished one at the Gaelic American Club where we were on first in the bar right after the flag-raising. And as is pretty SOP for the GAC gigs, there were foul-ups in plenty, including 5 mics for 14 players (who knew everybody would show up?!?), the TV was blaring, our sound system was inextricably linked with the outside system so we got their comments and whatnots over our speaker while we were playing and we had some feedback so bad we just turned the sound off at one point, which had its advantages! Tonight, a bunch of us are playing at a local yacht club (!) -- started out as five and now looks like 8 -- if we're lucky. they have room for 4 and I'm probably going to be on sound, which'll be a first. Chaos rules!

I don't mind doing the St. Pat's gigs -- we had, dunno, 12 this year over two weeks? a private party (which turned out a surprisingly good time), a library, three schools, 3 old-folks homes (one of which had to be rescheduled from Friday because everybody there has the flu), two GAC gigs and the yacht club. About half what we did last year in terms of money and slightly down in private parties. Our group has acquired a fairly proficient uilliean piper who's very quickly getting up to speed on our set lists, a trade off from losing our best entertainer to buffalo (hope they appreciate what they now have!). It was funny, I was looking in my closet this morning for something appropriate and figured out that a good third of my clothing is green!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

7. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

Yes. But it will be playing Finnish music. We're making the argument for extending St. Urho's day to a second day.

Will also be my first extended performance with the octave mandolin. Thankfully our set is only a half hour or so. We're the intermission from the main band. However, half our band is in the main band. So that means no break for them.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    St. Patrick's Day...the one day of the year when people who spend 364 days a year ignoring Irish music come out and tell musicians how to play it.
    I can't understand how, as a young teenager with a repertoire from about three LPs, I could play from 10am to 3am without stopping, but now over forty years on with a repertoire of hundreds of tunes and songs, I can never think of anything to play after about an hour into the day's music. Funny, that... and the audience all seem to be the same people from the 60s and 70s who only come out once a year and don't realise the world has moved on somewhat.

"Can u play "Roifles of De OI R A?"
    "Not any more, sure they were decommissioned..."
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

10. The following members say thank you to Colin Lindsay for this post: