Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have you ever been ridiculed for your choice in instrument?

Default Re: Have you ever been ridiculed for your choice in instrument?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bridges View Post
    Best advice I ever got "Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience".
    And yet I find myself arguing with myself constantly ... hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    Your story reminded me of an interview that ran in the NYT (I think) about Tiger Moms; this one woman said that her children would play the piano or violin, that no other instrument was acceptible. I didn't find that a particularly intelligent thing to say from someone who was pushing intellectual superiority. It just showed her own limitations.
    I first learned the violin at the tender age of 9 or 10, I guess, and played a while in my elementary school orchestra, and traveled with them to various schools around town; even got my picture in the hometown paper once. I grew tired of practicing after a couple of years (maybe my instructor was boring and insisted only on the classical repertoire?) and my growing reluctance was always a bone of contention between my parents -- one arguing that I have to keep it up because it was good for me, the other arguing I should be allowed to make up my own mind. The violin and religion were two big bones of contention on which they took opposite sides in regards to the whole "force the brat" vs. "let him make up his own mind" argument. (And I admit I was a snot-nosed little brat at times; now I'm a middle aged brat who at least wipes his nose.) I think it scarred me for life, or something. Something did, anyway. And here I am playing (to use the term generously) the mandolin. Go figure.

Since we seem to be in confessional mode, I might as well admit that a big part of the umbrage I like to take about folks who look down their noses at "cheapo" instruments (those that cost less than a good used car, as in my previous example) is simply envy that I can't afford a high-quality instrument. There, I admitted it. And that's enough womanish whining and confessin' for one evening; there ain't enough whiskey around to get me to say any more. (Now I'm gonna get hit with a rolling pin ... )

Just about every day and I even TEACH mandolin. My family is a bunch of very shameful mandolin haters. There is something wrong with their hearing, me thinks. It really gets tiring and tedious to hear how lousy mandolins sound. And believe me, I have even played bits and pieces of my favorite player's recordings and they just screech, "Shut it off--it still sounds terrible!" But, then again, they do not like fiddles or banjos either. I need to put myself up for adoption

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheryl Watson For This Useful Post:

Yep, my family are pretty hard on me... I just ignore them... ignorant pillocks...

7. The following members say thank you to Eddie Sheehy for this post:

I tell people firmly and with serious intent that I can do a lot with my little instrument. Shuts them right up.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

Proud Mandolin Owner BeginnerMandolinistTyler's Avatar

I'm 20 and studying chemical engineering. When I tell people I play percussion and guitar, they think drum set and rock music and such, so I usually get a response of approval. Then I also add that I recently picked up the mandolin and I usually get a "what is that?" Then I have to explain that it is like "small guitar with 8 strings instead of 6" and how its used in "banjo music". Then I'm met with a "Oh that's cool..." or just simply an "Ok." On the other hand, my family supports me because my great grandfather played banjo and my great uncle played fiddle and my great aunt played mandolin. My family doesn't listen to bluegrass though. I'm the only one with the interest. A bonus is that my younger sister hates mandolin which gives me a reason to play louder when I go home. Long story short, don't let it bother you and maybe use their dislike for mandolins to your advantage like I have.

10. The following members say thank you to BeginnerMandolinistTyler for this post:

Back in 1963 when i began teaching myself banjo, Rock'n Roll was just about coming to an end & the Beatles era was on the rise = ''guitars ruled''. A few of my friends who were in any way interested, wondered why the heck i was choosing to play banjo instead of guitar. However,as i progressed in my playing,so did their interest - i was the ONLY banjo player they'd heard until the Beverley Hillbillies came onto UK TV,that sparked their interest even more - ''Can you play the Beverley Hillbillies tune ?'' - you bet i could !.Then it was ''Foggy Mt Breakdown'' from Bonnie & Clyde - ''Can you play the Bonnie & Clyde tune ?'' - you bet,ask me another !!. And so it went. There's a lot to be said for breaking away from the rest of the flock. Over the years when i was still an active player on banjo,i earned more than just a 'bit of cash' playing TV ad.jingles & doing some session work (it did help to have a friend working for BBC radio at the time). Stand out from the crowd - be a minority !!!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Stand out from the crowd - be a minority !!!

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I guess I must be lucky! I never had a single negative comment about the mandolin since I first picked one up around 1966. My family was musical though and most of my friends also.

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

I played bassoon in my high school band and the kid next to me, who played Euphonium, called my instrument "the belching bedpost".
    We both went on to MSU for college--but I got the scholarship for playing bassoon!
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Clements For This Useful Post:

I never get ridiculed -- until I start playing...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

One person has said, "What? Why don't you play guitar?". Most who see me with the case, are genuinely interested in what's in there. My wife and kids generally poke me for my newfound interest, but mainly because I'm a little obsessed with all things mandolin. My son once asked why I was listening to "Get-Away Music" when I picked him up from school with some bluegrass playing, which I thought was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Mando View Post
    I'd suggest telling these folks that a MacArthur Genius Award went to a mandolin player, but usually data like this doesn't persuade those who have their minds made up. So, keep on playing and be happy.
    I know people who will find a way to get on your case for getting a genius Grant. Maybe they deserve a grant of their own

No, I've never had this happen to me.

Called a "pussy cat" for walking to school with my violin
    in 7th grade. Didn't hear the "cat" part though.

when I used to go to a folk song circle in Vancouver, british Columbia, the scene was full of talent free know it alls. they would try to find every and any excuse to criticize any musician who could actually play well. I was playing celtic jigs and reels on a sweet antique Portuguese guitar one night, a couple made loud comments that irish never played that. I said louder, I'm Scottish and scotts have played citterns since they were invented, then went up to my set and played a set of blazing reels and some very lilting jigs. that shut them the #### up.

the fat ####### who led the group had a theory that "real" folk music was a capella singing, and nothing else. of course he couldn't play an instrument. he was a genius of making a virtue out of necessity.

earlier, they had a rule banning irish rebel songs. I sang a set of blood and revenge rebel songs a few nights in a row. they were forced to admit that the rule was racist.

it wasn't long before I stopped going. later as I got gigs and folk fest they couldn't some ofthem invited me back , but what's the point with the brain dead and talent free.

No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Blog Entries

I have been ridiculed in one way or another for just about every decision I have made. It is just part of life. Folks get threatened when they see you having the courage to do something you really like, as opposed to what the popular culture at large expects you to like.

When you have the courage to be yourself, it is threatening to those who don't have the courage.

It's tough when it's family doing it, but it happens.

Anyone who has ever done anything interesting in the world has had to face it. From friends, from family, from spouses.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    When you have the courage to be yourself, it is threatening to those who don't have the courage.
    It's called envy, plain old envy.
    But they are a useful test if you really did it for yourself or just to fish for their compliments; if it still hurts, you've got to work on independence some more.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

My dad wonders why I play my "ukelele" instead of my brother's old Stratocaster he left in his room after moving out. Oh well, I'm moving out myself soon anyway!

Other than him I haven't had anything but compliments or neutrality, the school's band teacher likes my whistle and the orchestra teacher likes my mandolin. I'd join one if I weren't a senior.

Quote Originally Posted by ollaimh View Post
    when I used to go to a folk song circle in Vancouver, british Columbia, the scene was full of talent free know it alls. they would try to find every and any excuse to criticize any musician who could actually play well. I was playing celtic jigs and reels on a sweet antique Portuguese guitar one night, a couple made loud comments that irish never played that. I said louder, I'm Scottish and scotts have played citterns since they were invented, then went up to my set and played a set of blazing reels and some very lilting jigs. that shut them the #### up. the fat ####### who led the group had a theory that "real" folk music was a capella singing, and nothing else. of course he couldn't play an instrument. he was a genius of making a virtue out of necessity. earlier, they had a rule banning irish rebel songs. I sang a set of blood and revenge rebel songs a few nights in a row. they were forced to admit that the rule was racist.

it wasn't long before I stopped going...
    Wonder why?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM