Thread: Jerusalem Ridge

Blog Entries

Default Jerusalem Ridge

Snowbound for two days last week. Used Bill Nesbitt's video and tab to take on my favorite Monroe tune. It's paired down a bit but still a big step for a yearling like myself.

Kudo's to Mr. Nesbitt for the free and fine lesson!

For those interested:

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0RMti55zPo

Tab&Video: http://littlerockmandolin.com/videos-fiddletunes3.htm

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark Wilson For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Jerusalem Ridge

I used that video and it helped. That video along with the tablature I had from a mandolin magazine made it much easier. I still don't have it up to speed but it's getting there. Good use of your snow days. A great tune!
    Jacobson #24
    Kentucky KM-620
    Michael Kelly
    Fender
    Gold Tone Banjo

4. The following members say thank you to dusty miller for this post:

Bill Nesbitt (Little Rock, Arkansas) was my first teacher (two and a half years ago) and he has some great teaching videos and tabs. Concidentally, I played some of them tonight. Check out his website. BTW, Jerusalem Ridge is my favorite tune. I first heard it played live at a jam at the Monroe-style Mandolin Camp, Owensboro, KY, when Mike Compton led the group. As a beginner, I could only stand back and enviously listen (played a few chops in the background). I visited Monroe's home while there and purchased a Jerusalem Ridge cap. Can almost play the tune at an acceptable speed!
    Grady F5 (#65)
    Harmony A Model ("The Scorcher")

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. I WILL learn to play this thing !(adapted from Coolidge)

6. The following members say thank you to dubblestop for this post:

Blog Entries

I will be checking out his other videos. I like that he gets to it and doesn't talk your ear off. Easier for me to focus. Hoping to find a similar instructor local.

Quote Originally Posted by dubblestop View Post
    Can almost play the tune at an acceptable speed!
    What do you think is an acceptable speed bpm-wise that a beginner should aim for? Say for a mixed group of beginners and intermediates.

He may offer Skype lessons?
    Grady F5 (#65)
    Harmony A Model ("The Scorcher")

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. I WILL learn to play this thing !(adapted from Coolidge)

JR is a great tune to twin, if you have a picker friend. Robert Bowlin laid out a gorgeous mostly tenor harmony line to it in his book Twin Mandolin Workshop (if you can get past the horrid tab notation).

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Now working on rhythm for Jerusalem Ridge.

Are these correct chords for the 'C' part when played in Am?

Am
    D
    Am,E
    Am

Thx! Mark

Hi Mark, I have that D being a C. So change that and you are all set. How's the song coming along for you?
    Jacobson #24
    Kentucky KM-620
    Michael Kelly
    Fender
    Gold Tone Banjo

13. The following members say thank you to dusty miller for this post:

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dusty miller View Post
    Hi Mark, I have that D being a C. So change that and you are all set. How's the song coming along for you?
    Bill Monroe plays a D soloing on Kenny Baker's album. Most players would hear a dm here. This short section is actually what Monroe had down when he and Baker sat down in the wee hours to compose this tune (in a hotel in Ashland, Kentucky). Baker contributed a lot to the other three parts.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ralph johansson For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Thanks guys - I was trying to use a chord sheet I found in Gm transposing to D

Found this guitar video that shows it at Am, Dm, C, E, Am (4:45)

The open D I was playing seemed fine but the Dm he plays sounds correct. I'll include the F and give it a listen

One modernization of this number I have heard is at the tail end of part IV, these chords:

Am
    D (Major)
    E
    Am

Sounds good.

And for a terrific take on this, listen to Ray Legere off his Common Denominator recording (he plays all instruments). He gets such a great groove going.

18. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

I got my info from a tabbed version in Mandolin Magazine. Measures 30 and 31 says it's a modulation to C from the key of Am. Ralph and Alan would know more than I do about it and how it's played so do it like they say. Sorry for the wrong information I'm was just going by what I have.
    Jacobson #24
    Kentucky KM-620
    Michael Kelly
    Fender
    Gold Tone Banjo

Blog Entries

Measures 30 and 31 says it's a modulation to C from the key of Am.
    I worked in a form of C and it fits. I tried Dm (230x) and that works as does (200x) depending the mood.

So for simplicity I'm leaning toward (223x), (200x), (520x) (400x), (233x) for the short transition part on rhythm. At least until I know better.

Btw Dusty I have the lead from Nesbitt's tab pretty smooth at 68bpm. Far short of jam speed, but I sure enjoy the heck out of playing this tune.

21. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

williamanesbitt

Thanks for the mention! The website is called littlerockmandolin.com. Remind me around Folk Festival time to come out and see your Pickin' Point. (Envy, envy)

23. The following members say thank you to williamanesbitt for this post:

williamanesbitt

Thanks for the mention, Mark! More coming soon, I hope.

25. The following members say thank you to williamanesbitt for this post:

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

I got my info from a tabbed version in Mandolin Magazine. Measures 30 and 31 says it's a modulation to C from the key of Am. Ralph and Alan would know more than I do about it and how it's played so do it like they say. Sorry for the wrong information I'm was just going by what I have.

Are you into the fourth part now? It has two bars of am, then two bars of C and then back to am. This passage always reminded me of the beginning of Rutland's Reel by Howdy Forrester, and it's a climax. I always think of JR as "three parts waiting for the fourth". The first three parts alone would amount to nothing. And the fourth part wouldn't be nearly as compelling without all that preparation.

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Now working on rhythm for Jerusalem Ridge.

Are these correct chords for the 'C' part when played in Am?

Am
    D
    Am,E
    Am

Thx! Mark
    One alternative to the am, E or C, E of the third bar would be E7 all the way, turning the c note into a #5 of the dom chord.

28. The following members say thank you to ralph johansson for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ralph johansson View Post
    One alternative to the am, E or C, E of the third bar would be E7 all the way, turning the c note into a #5 of the dom chord.
    Good ear! That's a keeper. I especially like it the second time thru.Thank you.

Are you into the fourth part now? It has two bars of am, then two bars of C and then back to am. This passage always reminded me of the beginning of Rutland's Reel by Howdy Forrester, and it's a climax. I always think of JR as "three parts waiting for the fourth". The first three parts alone would amount to nothing. And the fourth part wouldn't be nearly as compelling without all that preparation.
    Yes. Very cool to have these different chords to plug in to get for a slightly different sound. Thanks for all the tips.
    Jacobson #24
    Kentucky KM-620
    Michael Kelly
    Fender
    Gold Tone Banjo

A good reminder for me to explore different options within the key of the song and not act like what is written down is cast in stone.
    Jacobson #24
    Kentucky KM-620
    Michael Kelly
    Fender
    Gold Tone Banjo

Blog Entries

Being more a 'by ear' type, when I'm not certain, I tend to try all sorts of double stops using lead notes, looking for possibilities. I would not have found the E7 this way so that's a reminder to dig a little deeper myself.

I think of JR as having ONLY three parts, may see how anyone COULD come up with four, but what you are calling 'part' three, I consider to be the tail end of part two, and NOT a bona fide 'part' in and of itself !

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Most everybody I've discussed JR with during the past decade has considered it a 4 part tune. "Bona fide" to you or not.

It might sometimes be easier to have a discussion of a thread not many years old.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phil Goodson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Most everybody I've discussed JR with during the past decade has considered it a 4 part tune. "Bona fide" to you or not.

It might sometimes be easier to have a discussion of a thread not many years old.
    +1

37. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mando-tech View Post
    I think of JR as having ONLY three parts, may see how anyone COULD come up with four, but what you are calling 'part' three, I consider to be the tail end of part two, and NOT a bona fide 'part' in and of itself !

The reason these segments are considered different parts is that they are repeated: 8+8+4+4 bars, not 8+4+8+4.