Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just have to brag!

Default Re: Just have to brag!

Well, I certainly didn't mean to cause such a fuss. I'll certainly watch what I say if I need to post again as I don't want anyone to take offence to what I say or assume I'm being rude. No offence was intended. While nothing negative was said, it can definitely be argued that it was implied, even if it was intentional or not, which is the unfortunate nature of Internet forums. Typing doesn't show the 93% of the communication that allows us to have effective communication.

I belong to many other forums. When someone new comes along, we just welcome them and do what we can to integrate them into the chats etc. Now if I can just find the 'Using English in the internet form' forum, I'll be set.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. You can rest easy I'll watch what I post in the future!

2. The following members say thank you to MTO4Life for this post:

Congratulations! Lurk no more!
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

Quote Originally Posted by MTO4Life View Post
    Keep up the great posts,
    Maybe in another thread...

Congrats on your Eastman and enjoy!
    Mike Bloder
    Hogan F-5
    Northfield NF-F5S

This episode should be re-titled The Usual Suspects

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron McMillan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Well, I certainly didn't mean to cause such a fuss. I'll certainly watch what I say if I need to post again as I don't want anyone to take offence to what I say or assume I'm being rude. No offence was intended. While nothing negative was said, it can definitely be argued that it was implied, even if it was intentional or not, which is the unfortunate nature of Internet forums. Typing doesn't show the 93% of the communication that allows us to have effective communication.

I belong to many other forums. When someone new comes along, we just welcome them and do what we can to integrate them into the chats etc. Now if I can just find the 'Using English in the internet form' forum, I'll be set.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. You can rest easy I'll watch what I post in the future!
    Congratulations on your fine purchase! As far as I am concerned (and I'll bet most of the members here as well) nothing you posted needs "watching" you can brag all you want about it --within reason of course!

As in every internet forum there are some here who cannot help themselves! LOL!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I don't usually correct writing here. I get paid to do that, and I read the Cafe for fun. But: "Brag" means to speak boastfully. I believe that's what the OP was doing (not in a bad way) in sharing the excitement of a new mandolin. "Diction" applies to writing as well as to speech in every contemporary dictionary I am aware of.

I do, however, agree that we should stop being so welcoming. In the future, let's greet newcomers by deriding their choice of mandolin and attacking their word usage.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eric F. For This Useful Post:

Nobody "attacked" the word usage, the OP was just asked for clarification on what he meant when he used that word.

Blog Entries

At the OP: Enjoy your mandolin! "a little bragging is allowed" <big grin, from ear to ear> >

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

A great mandolin, congratulations.

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression."

This goes both for a new member of the CafeŽ"impressing" the current membership -- and for the other CafeŽmembers "welcoming" the new member.

I think the wheels came off our Welcome Wagon in this thread. Let's give the "newbie" a chance to establish his/her persona before taking him/her to task for less-than-optimal word choice. I take MTO4Life at his/her word in Post #51; not trying to be rude or boastful, just excited about a new mandolin (as all of us have been from time to time). Experience in "other forums" was of "welcoming and making the new person feel comfortable."

Think we've done a sub-par job of that, for whatever reason. Whatever the good intentions may have been, the effect was of less-than-open arms.

Check out this new thread for an instructive contrast.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

I agree Allen.

16. The following members say thank you to shortymack for this post:

Blog Entries

Congratulations on the purchase of your new mandolin. You should be proud and bragging is definitely in order. Have a great time learning this incredible instrument!
    Weber Custom Vintage A
    JBovier ELS Electric
    Weber F-Style Yellowstone HT

18. The following members say thank you to lorrainehornig for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    "You never get a second chance to make a first impression."

This goes both for a new member of the CafeŽ"impressing" the current membership -- and for the other CafeŽmembers "welcoming" the new member. I think the wheels came off our Welcome Wagon in this thread......
    Well stated, I concur! (Oh and nice diction too BTW!)
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

20. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

Diction michton! Stand your ground and Brag all you like. These two bored old turkeys don't mean to rob your enthusiasm but have just been holed up in the snow too long.
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

<violates forum posting guidelines>
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Feb-24-2014 at 8:21am.

Boy, did this get out of hand or what?

24. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    ...Just a simple question. It's amazing to me that so many of you were moved to...wring your hands and moan[ing] about the terrible job mandolin cafe has done in welcoming this newcomer. Very odd. Some of you seem to be demanding "groupthink". Nothing acceptable but "wecome aboard, enjoy the journey" and banalities of that type.
    Perhaps one of us should have just answered your "simple question" with "Yes, sometimes I do brag about a new mandolin."

Ratcheting up defensiveness won't change the situation. Challenging MTO4Life on choice of words -- on the occasion of a first-ever post on the CafeŽ-- doesn't demonstrate a hospitable attitude. You call it "groupthink" and "banality," but I'd hazard many of us just call it "friendliness," "courtesy," "politeness."

Those qualities are one of the main reasons some of us hang around the Mandolin CafeŽ. Nothing wrong with spirited discussion and debate; glad to join in whenever it seems interesting and productive. What was challenged here was a trivial point of language choice, and you can call us banal groupthinkers all you want, but I think it inappropriate to make this somewhat mean-spirited argument, a new member's first experience with the CafeŽ.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    ...Some of you seem to be demanding "groupthink". Nothing acceptable but "wecome aboard, enjoy the journey" and banalities of that type.
    I don't think anyone was demanding "groupthink" but rather most here are calling for politeness? What good purpose did your jumping on the word "brag" serve?

Was it to correct some harm or transgression of the OP using it?

Perhaps in this case you were the one being judgmental? Perhaps "groupthink" includes questioning someone's way of expressing nothing more "dangerous" than their enthusiasm for a mandolin?

And yes I do think welcoming new members is probably better then nitpicking (for no obvious reason?) their first post on the Mandolin Cafe.
    Bernie
    ____

Welcome aboard MTO4Life. Keep bragging.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

So much drama over exactly what? "I'm delighted to be here and happy to brag about my first mandolin purchase"?!

I enjoy all the diverse opinions freely offered here, but did this first post by a new member REALLY deserve this much scrutiny?

Welcome! Good choice! You got a great deal on a great mandolin! Please keep posting about your experiences!

Blog Entries

I'm not pleased by the tone of a couple of long-time members. May be time for a couple of you to move on to new waters if it's too tedious to see people enjoying life. Please consider it. Your welcome here is wearing thin.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

Well said Scott.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Blog Entries

Some of you people should get out more ...what's that you say? ...you're snowed in? Too bad.

While I'm here, I'd like to brag that I'm not Canadian eh.

Congrats to the OP on the new mando. May I suggest you join the Eastman mandolins social group?

All the best.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Blog Entries

Hi All. I've been lurking here, but am not one to post much (1st one!). In any event, I just picked up my first mandolin tonight. It is an Eastman 515. Got a good deal on it so I'm pretty pumped about it. I played violin and fiddle years ago, but have wanted to pickup the mandolin for years and now it's time! Keep up the great posts, I'll keep reading and start picking!
    I'd like to personally apologize to you for the rude treatment you've received from a few members here. This is not the spirit of this forum and this kind of crass commentary will not be tolerated further. Have a great time with your new mandolin.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

So. Is it safe?

Another first time braggart here. I got me a 'The Loar VS 220'. Actually I've had it for a year, and like it very much. I just bought a used Collings MT2, and oddly, I don't love it. At least not yet. It's obviously the superior instrument, yet it doesn't have the woody tone I was going for. I'll give it a year. I think in part I need to get a better right hand. That will also allow my wife to forget how much I told her I had to have this one, in case I do sell it.

37. The following members say thank you to Jim_G for this post: