Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Oh Brother . . .

Default Re: Oh Brother . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDMandoMan View Post
    I think "Man of Constant Sorrow" has become the bluegrass "Free Bird". That's the one you always get requests for, but most every musician is sick to death of. Oh Brother was IMO, a great movie. I love the Coen bros. quirky sense of humor, the acting was excellent (Delmar is one of my favorite characters ever), the Odyssey set in Depression-era America was a great idea. I've said before, Mike Compton's kick-off on M.O.C.S. was what convinced me to take up mandolin.
    For my generation, that song was Duelling Banjos or Rocky Top! I first heard Mike Compton in the 80's with the first Nashville Bluegrass Band. I like the Coen Bros. too, I've always figured that even a bad Coen Bros. film is better than 90% of the fluff coming out of Hollywood.

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But have you ever been stung by a dead bee?
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

It's actually "bit by a dead bee." But you get some points for good taste.

4. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Caught a bit of an interview with the Coen Bros. on the radio. You'll recall that the OBWAT soundtrack includes "Po Lazarus," a prison work song recorded by Alan Lomax. The Bros. mentioned that T Bone went to the trouble of tracking down James Carter, the prisoner who led the singing, to pay him royalties from sales of the soundtrack. He found Carter living in a nursing home, and told him, "This year you sold more records than Michael Jackson." Carter gave all the money to his church.

It was elbow to elbow at Wintergrass for a couple of years right after the film came out. Crowds did thin out somewhat a little later on. But you can't deny that the film gave acoustic music a shot in the arm.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    It's actually "bit by a dead bee."
    You've gone too far bringing up that line. I'll be slipping into my spot-on impersonation of Walter Brennon for the rest of the evening.
    My wife doesn't appreciate my talent in that area any more than she appreciates hearing my unending efforts to perfect Wheel Hoss.

8. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Astro 

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    You've gone too far bringing up that line. I'll be slipping into my spot-on impersonation of Walter Brennon for the rest of the evening.
    My wife doesn't appreciate my talent in that area any more than she appreciates hearing my unending efforts to perfect Wheel Hoss.
    A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

10. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    For my generation, that song was Duelling Banjos or Rocky Top! I first heard Mike Compton in the 80's with the first Nashville Bluegrass Band. I like the Coen Bros. too, I've always figured that even a bad Coen Bros. film is better than 90% of the fluff coming out of Hollywood.
    "Rocky Top" not so much but definitely "Dueling Banjos" and "Foggy Mtn. Breakdown". The one I hated the most though was "Fox On The Run". Maybe just a Canadian thing but we got asked for that song everywhere we played.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmanbob View Post
    My opinion....great music, awful movie. Great that it increased interest in acoustic music, but as far as I'm concerned, unwatchable.
    So you didn't make it till the end?

Blog Entries

It's actually "bit by a dead bee." But you get some points for good taste.
    It's actually, "Say, wuz you ever bit by a dead bee?" And the key line is: "Hey, you're all right. Harry, she's all right."
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    The canoe rental business in Georgia is still almost entirely sustained by the backwash from Deliverance.
    And banjos. Don't forget the banjos.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Quote Originally Posted by belbein View Post
    It's actually, "Say, wuz you ever bit by a dead bee?" And the key line is: "Hey, you're all right. Harry, she's all right."
    So what was Lauren's answer that made Walter say she was all right?

I'll take issue with the "key line" of the film. Something about knowing how to whistle . . .

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    "Rocky Top" not so much but definitely "Dueling Banjos" and "Foggy Mtn. Breakdown". The one I hated the most though was "Fox On The Run". Maybe just a Canadian thing but we got asked for that song everywhere we played.
    Yeah, I forgot about Fox on the Run, a repressed memory I guess. It was the Wagon Wheel of its day.

I love that move and watch it every once in a while. Not only is the new baby named Starla (my wife's name), the music is great, Seven of Nine plays one of the Sirens, and it is loosely based on Homers Oddyssey. What more could you ask for! I have a concert DVD made at the Rhyman auditorium about the same time as the movie. It features many of the recording artists from the movie singing their songs. If you don't like the movie I suggest you find a copy and watch it.
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

18. The following members say thank you to Perry Babasin for this post:

KSmith 

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Babasin View Post
    Seven of Nine plays one of the Sirens
    Jeri Ryan did not play any of those sirens. She was not in the movie. Though I have to say, she could turn me into a toad any time she pleases!

20. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I believe I read somewhere that Lauren was 19 when she filmed that.

I'll take issue with the "key line" of the film. Something about knowing how to whistle . . .
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

Blog Entries

I never liked the "whistle" line, because it doesn't make sense. Put your lips together, fine, but BLOW? But it takes a great actress to pull it off, and she was great.

Her answer was, "Yeah, wuz you?" or something like that. I don't know exactly: I was always too busy watching her body language. Or something like that.
    belbein

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Yeah, I forgot about Fox on the Run, a repressed memory I guess. It was the Wagon Wheel of its day.
    Aaaaah! Love Fox on the Run. Love Wagon Wheel. No opinion on Free Bird.
    belbein

Blog Entries

"My Hair!"
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

Blog Entries

So, I finally got around to watching O Brother Where Art Thou the other day (had the day off from work due to weather conditions).

Won't comment on what I thought of the film, but here is my question: how much of the current resurgence of bluegrass/old time music among the 20- and 30-something generations do you think can be directly attributed to that film?

Just curious . . . jc.
    Wow, I put together a blog post about this subject four years ago and mostly got skewered by the Brother sycophants. I stand by every word I wrote then. Truth is, go to work and ask 25 people at your day job--assuming you don't work in a music store--and ask them about the lasting impact of the movie on old-time and string band music in the world.

"Oh what?"

Made a big temporary splash, and for some of you it was your life changing moment. Good for you. For most musicians, it was their moment where they drew a breath and said, "wow, so THAT'S what it takes to get this music I've been toiling in for decades noticed?"

Oh, but my apology. My response is to the opening post, how un-forum like to actually address the initial question.

But do read what I wrote if you wish to toss your two cents to the wind. I already did.

Carry on, Brother devotees. Lovely music, enjoyed the movie, worth it all to make Ralph rich. Didn't do a thing for the masses unless you were ripe to get into the music. There are a lot of events daily that do the same. This one just had millions of dollars in marketing behind it.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

But wait... didn't everyone rush to learn Irish Traditional Music so they could play "The Blarney Pilgrim" and "Sean Ryan's Polka" after that famous scene from Titanic, with the Irish party in third class? Rose and Jack dancing on the table?

As popular as that film was at the time, it had less influence on people wanting to learn to play ITM than Riverdance or "Celtic Women," as it turned out. Although sometimes you'll get a punter in a pub session who wants to hear "That Titanic song." And anything you play at that point will satisfy the crowd. Just pick a tune at random.

But that's different. Titanic was a truly terrible movie.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Well, that's what he said in the book. I'm sure you can interpret it any way you want.

Guess I should've known this would devolve into a film critique thread. Have I mentioned how much I like To Have And Have Not?
    In fairness - the responses to the Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head were spurred by your comment that the song had 'nothing to do with the film'.

But you are right - your original question was on the relative influence of the O Brother soundtrack... i guess if you wish to keep it specifically on that subject digressions should not be encouraged... then again its your flag.

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Just how specific to the OP does a response around here have to be to be acceptable?

And how are we meant to continue when the OP has opened up other avenues of discussion in subsequent posts?
    And are we to take our cue from the sites owner - whose post here is mostly an off-topic dressing down of the people who contribute to his forum and whose linked blog which is 4 years old does not directly address the question at hand of a current resurgence... or maybe the resurgence was well under way 4 years ago?

Maybe, it needs some clarification.

The question is not about the impact of the soundtrack on music in acoustic music in general or for its impact on those hardy jobbing musicians who were there beforehand and after the question was

'how much of the current resurgence of bluegrass/old time music among the 20- and 30-something generations do you think can be directly attributed to that film?'

Now, if we are going to get all bent-out-of shape about keeping on topic how about the OP let us know what he means by the 20 - 30 generations?

And how 'direct' does an influence have to be the fit in this enquiry?

and - what is this bluegrass old-time 'resurgence' i've been hearing about?

I am of that generation and i have given account of the impact i saw of that soundtrack at that time for people who did not normally like 'Americana'. Those people were from a mix musicians and non-musicians... and they bought the soundtrack and if not they were bombarded by radio play... just because you did not buy the album meant that you could escape it.

I have also given account that the songs promoted in that movie entered into the session singing canon - and it was pretty clear cut to witness them arrive as currency in singing circles normally dominated by Irish/British Ballads. I have also pointed out that these songs are still current in many an Irish ballad singers repertoire... which may not attest to old-time and bluegrass music in particular but surely is not completely off topic? For many people outside America i'll hazard that this movie was an introduction to old-time and bluegrass.

I will also point out that in the wake of the album a lot of the soundtrack found it's way out into advertising and commercials 'I went down to the river to pray', for example, was used as a soundtrack to a a series of commercials celebrating the traditional Irish sports of hurling and Gaelic football. And then there was Cold Mountain.... but that's straying off topic.

In a sense it can be hard to establish the movie as a direct influence for the introduction of all these songs for every person of that generation. I would hazard that more people were influenced by secondary media, such as the commercials i mentioned, or through people singing the songs which were then circulating anew.

That your average folk may not recognise the source of these songs as coming from 'O Brother' is neither here nor there - folks use Shakespearian phrases quite commonly but may not know their source - may never have read a sonnet or play - but that does not negate the impact of their provenance.

The best you could possible hope for is to find some anecdotal or quotes from the generation in question such as

Is that interview germane to the topic at hand - or is it invalid because the fans of Mumford and Sons may not have watched O Brother or been part of its original fad impact? Or is it irrelevant because they don't play bluegrass son - even though they may turn some folks on to it?

With all due respects - if the forum is here simply answer questions then it has the wrong format we could just - Ask Jeeves - but if it is indeed here for 'general mandolin discussions' then surely we can excuse a bit of drift?

Otherwise we will have to watch the quality of our enquiries - it's clear questions that get clear answers - it's general questions that encourage discussion.

In that light -

Was the success of the album a blip? Yep.
    Was it big compared to other pop music genres? Nope.
    Will it have proved pivotal for acoustic music in general? Nope.
    Is it well remembered by the general public? Nope.
    Did it influence current musicians? Yep.
    Are some of those musicians successful? Yep.
    Are some of those musicians not successful? Yep.
    Is it the fuzzy navel of current acoustic music? Nope.
    Is it really 24.83%? Probably.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to M.Marmot For This Useful Post:

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Besides, i thought this thread was due a hefty old tome of a post - we can't all be pithy.

Or can we?

Quote Originally Posted by M.Marmot View Post
    ...whose linked blog which is 4 years old does not directly address the question at hand of a current resurgence... or maybe the resurgence was well under way 4 years ago?

Maybe, it needs some clarification.
    Uh, if it wasn't relevant 4 years ago it isn't relevant now. Not much to clarify...
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'