Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting over.

Default Starting over.

I've been playing mandolin for 7 years and have decided to start over. I've learned several tunes, even played in a wedding and some churches, have had a good time, but I am not progressing and believe I've skipped some fundamentals that would've done me a lot of good.

There are tons of chords I don't know, my rhythm technique isn't very interesting or complex, my tremolo flat out stinks (I seem to have actually regressed here), I get stuck in the same places over and over again, have yet to play a fiddle tune up to speed, and just never seem to make the "leap" forward. So I'm going back to the beginning.

This morning I ordered a copy of Mandolin For Dummies and intend to go cover to cover with it, in hopes that it'll unlock some things for me and get me on the right road to improvement.

There's bound to be at least a few others in this same boat, so maybe this thread will encourage those who are stuck at first base. I'll post my progress from time to time.

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Starting over.

I think "Plateaus" are a normal part of learning anything. You get to a certain level of competency, then feel stuck there for an extended period. I was in a bit of a playing funk for a while, just before Christmas.Two kind of weird things helped me out. 1- My mando normally hangs on the wall in my living room. Unfortunately, right where the tree had to go. With it in the case, I couldn't just walk by and grab it, so I had a longer than normal period where I didn't pick it up (stretched out to a couple of weeks!) when I did pick it back up, it felt fresher and more fun again. Tunes and licks that had frustrated me seemed easier, somehow.
    2-, I drifted off from my normal playing pattern. Decided to spend some time working up Tammy Rodger's fiddle solo from "If it Hadn't Been for Love". The different phrasing and patterns were a whole 'nother challenge, and a lot of fun. Gave my fingers something different to try. When I felt relatively comfortable with it, I noticed my more normal mando tunes seemed to get a bit more life, also. Mandolin for Dummies is a good idea. I use it a lot. Just taking a break, or breaking your pattern may help some, too. Good Luck!
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Bridges For This Useful Post:

CalebRoin 

I bought Mandolin for Dummies for the same purpose and it is great. A fun, easy read that starts you from the absolute basics and quickly moves beyond that, but also has great introductions to different styles of music.

Mike Marshall's Mandolin School is also good for going back to basics. Lots of people on there doing just that. Posture, holding the pick, holding the mandolin, pick direction, all of these basics which pay off.

Good luck. I look forward to updates on your progress.

5. The following members say thank you to Franc Homier Lieu for this post:

Caleb 

I often deal with a "plateau" in my progression by starting a new lesson/method/ song book. For me it was " Jazz Mandolin Appetizers" and It has helped.
    Jim Richmond

I think only good things can come about with your playing if you take that approach. I certainly have to re think how I'm doing things from time to time. I only worked on lead playing for quite awhile so I had to go back and really concentrate on learning all the chords for the songs I knew and get much better at playing back-up. I know chord shapes all over the fret board but I got stuck in the bad habit of just doing lead stuff. Fixing that now. I'm in the same tremolo boat for sure and have to start to make a real effort in improving that. Good luck.
    Jacobson #24
    Kentucky KM-620
    Michael Kelly
    Fender
    Gold Tone Banjo

8. The following members say thank you to dusty miller for this post:

Caleb 

Caleb and Franc, thanks for buying Mandolin For Dummies. I hope you find it useful. A second, more advance "Dummies" book is in the works and will be on the shelf sometime late spring or early summer 2014. Another good source for mandolin instruction is my youtube site which has many free video lessons. http://www.youtube.com/donjulinlessons

Good luck

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Don Julin For This Useful Post:

Newbie Seeking Clues tangleweeds's Avatar

I did the same thing with piano over the past year, at about the same experience level, and doing so has been very rewarding.

The phrase I've kept repeating to myself has been "beginner's mind", in terms of openness to re-experiencing things (as if) for the first time. There are so many details we can hear, levels of kinesthetic awareness we can tap, but feeling like we've been there, done that, and already have a handle on something glosses all that over with a generic wash of familiarity.

So I think you're doing something wise. I hope it goes well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julin View Post
    Caleb and Franc, thanks for buying Mandolin For Dummies. I hope you find it useful. A second, more advance "Dummies" book is in the works and will be on the shelf sometime late spring or early summer 2014. Another good source for mandolin instruction is my youtube site which has many free video lessons. http://www.youtube.com/donjulinlessons

Good luck
    Don, thanks for chiming in. I read a lot this past week about various methods and the good press yours has recv'd sold me. I've watched a couple of your videos and am impressed: the one you do on various chords shapes and rhythm is exactly the kind of thing I'd like to be able to do well.

My recurring hurdle is playing clean whether it be chords , single note phrases , double stops or tremolo. I have several students I teach basic mandolin and guitar to and when I hear myself saying to them ' slow down and develop the technique and muscle memory to play clean' , its a reminder to MYSELF to practice what I preach . Whenever I'm stumbling , I slow things down and "step up the reps" . Its just a case of reminding myself of this simple way to improve before I get to the frustration point .....or decide its not me its the instrument and head out shopping .....lol .

I've been on too many plateaus to count. What often helps is either taking a rest for a couple of days, weeks; or trying to learn a new tune. Good luck and remember, this is supposed to be fun.

Registered User Mike Steadfast-Ward's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julin View Post

Good luck
    I've brought your book in England and learning from scratch. I'm lookin forward to the new books already Don.
    Thanks for these resources and the understandable layout of the info.

Blog Entries

The best kind of learning/practice comes from playing music with others. This helps all sorts of things musically. Ya need to find like minded people and just pick.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

I second what Denny Gies says, particularly about learning a new tune. I, too, have Mandolin For Dummies, and swear by it. To get over my latest plateau (number 354, I reckon!), I turned to page 264 in Mandolin for Dummies and tackled Mr Natural. It sounds fairly simple when you listen to the track, but it's taken me a couple of weeks to get it together into some semblance of a tune. I've just realised it got me off that plateau, though. Always good to hear from Don on the forum.

19. The following members say thank you to Tezzerh for this post:

Registered User Mike Steadfast-Ward's Avatar

When i start right from the beginning at learning an instrument there are the basics to get to
    grips with, this can take time, I usually immerse myself in the instrument and culture.
    When learning accoustic guitar, and my Les Paul I did the same. I also jammed and practiced
    with others before going on to perform both as a singleton and in a group, there were eight of
    us in the band. I have also played 12string, and Electro 6 string Banjo? But passed them free onto
    someone who was unemployed at the time.
    Last edited by Mike Steadfast-Ward; Feb-09-2014 at 8:24pm. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    I've been playing mandolin for 7 years and have decided to start over. I've learned several tunes, even played in a wedding and some churches, have had a good time, but I am not progressing and believe I've skipped some fundamentals that would've done me a lot of good.
    If it's any encouragement one of the best mandolin players I know played for about a dozen years then did the exact same thing.
    Stripped the whole caboodle back to zero and built everything up from there. He now is nothing short of excellent.
    Best of luck with it.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

22. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Caleb 

I'm just a beginner but I found this post by Pete Martin in another thread talking about ergonomics and how to hold a mandolin. I've read about it online and in Don's book as well but sometimes I need a video for it to really sink in.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...=1#post1099324

Sorry double post and I don't see a delete option.
    Last edited by belorsch; Feb-10-2014 at 11:19am. Reason: double post

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    If it's any encouragement one of the best mandolin players I know played for about a dozen years then did the exact same thing.
    Stripped the whole caboodle back to zero and built everything up from there. He now is nothing short of excellent.
    Best of luck with it.
    That is encouraging: thank you.

Blog Entries

My experience with plateaus is that it is as you suggest, usually the result of some key things missed, some key bad habits adopted or key best practices ignored. Going back to the beginning is a great idea. It will not take another 7 years

You will be ahead of where you are now within a year, I bet, after a couple three aha moments.

Playing with others regularly along the way will help immensely.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Sometimes it takes some putting the mandolin down and just listening to music for a while. I've had to "not play" for several days due to work and sleep. Although it's painful to not play, because that's all I think about, it's a good breather. Then when you pick it up again it's fresh.

I'm new to mandolin, but I've been playing guitar for a good while. Sometimes just putting it down does wonders. I've been working on an arrangement (my own) of Bill Cheatham (guitar), and there was this one part that was never smooth...it just didn't flow. Hadn't played it for a week, played that song first... and son of a gun...I was able to play it without even thinking about it. My fingers just went there!

I have Mandolin For Dummies too, and this thread has inspired me to open it again.
    ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬
    Weber Yellowstone
    Weber Gallatin-F Wide Nut
    Martin D18GE

DjangoJazz picks exclusively
    http://djangojazz.nl/

Pretty good timing for this thread. I've been playing for 2 years and I "discovered" a more efficient pick angle just yesterday. I've been on the fence for about a year and a half on those pesky Blue Chip picks and finally ordered one. Well, when I got it in the mail yesterday, I spent some time starting at the "Right Hand Bevel" on this thing and wondering what good that bevel would do me, it's on the wrong side of the pick!

It never dawned on me until then to maybe change my pick angle. I spent 4 hours yesterday just running through tunes with this newly discovered pick angle and I was amazed at how much smoother my playing was (due to the angle change). Makes me wonder about other basic things I'm probably fouling up....

Every once in a while something just falls into position and,the world opens up again! Just don't get too discouraged! The reboot is a great concept for lots of folks.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

30. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

This is a great thread and thanks to Caleb for starting it. Basically, this thread exemplifies what this sort of forum is and should be about: hitting a tough spot and hearing from members of all skill levels with advice and "I've been there"s. Encouraging to say the very least!

I'm a beginner, but it's good to know how long-time players address issues such as hitting a plateau. I'm currently following the Mike Marshall courses over on Artistworks, I've bought countless Mandolin and Mandolin Chord books, but the one book I DON'T have is Mandolin for Dummies. Thanks to all of the recommendations, I'll be adding that to my mando library this weekend.

Thanks to all who contributed here for a nice glimpse into what lies ahead on the mandolin journey!

Birtie
    If the [mandolin] were easy to learn, everyone would be playing it..." -- David Hutcherson, Sr.

Michael Kelly LDF F-Style Acoustic

32. The following members say thank you to Birtie Dean for this post:

Caleb 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    I've been playing mandolin for 7 years and have decided to start over.
    Have you given any thought to how much time you'll set aside for this? Reason I'm asking is - I started last May and didn't really move the needle until I went to 2 hour per weeknight sessions and more on w/e. I'm thick headed but with just 20-40 minutes a night it feels like I spend all of that just reviewing what I did the night before.

The wife is not all smiles about it, but without that much time for it, I could literally stand in place for years. How much time set aside is enough to satisfy expectations of meaningful progress?

Julin's book is great. His videos with his style of show and tell teaching are my favorite way to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Have you given any thought to how much time you'll set aside for this? Reason I'm asking is - I started last May and didn't really move the needle until I went to 2 hour per weeknight sessions and more on w/e. I'm thick headed but with just 20-40 minutes a night it feels like I spend all of that just reviewing what I did the night before.

The wife is not all smiles about it, but without that much time for it, I could literally stand in place for years. How much time set aside is enough to satisfy expectations of meaningful progress?

Julin's book is great. His videos with his style of show and tell teaching are my favorite way to learn.
    As far as times goes, as a familyman I only have so much to spare, but I'm going to determine to use Don's book (when it arrives) to really try to master each step along the way before moving on. I'm sure how much time any given thing takes is goin to vary from person to person. I'm in no hurry: but I do want to make my mandolin time quality time.

Lots of great comments in this thread. Thanks to all.

35. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post: