Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Stradivarius theft

Default Re: Another Stradivarius theft

I know Eric, and actually the entire Benning family. I would think that they would have been a little flattered to have been mentioned in that show. They are embedded in the LA arts community and have probably sold a lot of investment grade violins to more than a few Hollywood-types, and they may have even supplied the props for that episode. Who knows.

So, perhaps it was someone's idea of tipping their hat to the Bennings. They are awfully nice people, and very much dedicated to their craft and the industry as a whole. I've sent them a few friends who wanted to move some rather high end instruments.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Yes, it did seem like some writer was trying to tip a hat to the Bennings. But you'd think if Eric were asked to supply a prop, he'd supply one that might actually be taken for a high-end violin.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by vkioulaphides View Post
    I just can't imagine how liquid a stolen good such an instrument can ever be. Stealing a car and cannibalizing it for spare parts is no less criminal, but at least you can see a viable "business model" behind the crime. This is both awful and stupid, IMO.

Best wishes for a speedy retrieval...

Victor

These instruments aren't stolen for a quick few bucks at a pawn shop. These are targeted art crimes where its likely the ultimate buyer/owner has already been identified by (and may be the same person as) the thief.

Thefts of this type are more about obsession and domination than your standard steal-for-resale robbery.

4. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post: