Thread: Lament for mandolin or mandola and harpsichord

Kincardine, Bruce County, Ontario (makes me a proud redneck)

Default Lament for mandolin or mandola and harpsichord

Hello,

I have recently returned to Mandolin Café after a long absence. I was looking for rep to play recently and found a piece I had written with a violinist friend in mind, one written to commemorate the death of my father, Jack Broughton, some years ago. It struck me that it would go well on the mandolin, since the tune (Eamon An Cnoic) is borrowed from my Irish heritage, though it is freely adapted. In addition, the mandolin that I play was bought for me by my dad about 40 or so years ago. I don't know why didn't make the connection earlier, except perhaps that I wanted it to sound beautiful, and in those days I was the only mandolinist I knew, and my skills could not do it justice. The long and short of it is that it has pretty much never been played at all, so perhaps posting it here will enable it to be played beautifully by someone.

Ornaments are approximate; my programme doesn't like to write appoggiaturas and acciaccaturas the way I would like; the little slanting line ornament is a slide from the lower note (on a violin or an unkeyed wind, the sliding chromatic effect is more obvious) All eighths are about 2:1, but not so studied as that. If you don't have a harpsichord, or a harpsichord with low enough notes, I'd suggest an electronic instrument. Because the range is quite low, I have set it for mandola as well.

Have fun.

tgb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lament on Eamon An Chnoic mandolin.pdf   Lament on Eamon An Chnoic (Mandola).pdf  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lament for mandolin or mandola and harpsichord

Thanks and welcome back!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +