Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Value of Ricky Skaggs Signed Mandolin

Default Re: Value of Ricky Skaggs Signed Mandolin

If you are going to take everything this personally that might be the best thing for you. Or you could just get over it and move on the the next thread.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Josh Levine For This Useful Post:

Someone, albeit at an Asian factory where things happen fast, put time and effort into finishing that mandolin. When someone, anyone, takes a Sharpie or marker to it, that finish is defaced. Simple as that. Don't forget that some of us here have spent a lot of time learning to apply, and applying finishes to instruments. I don't even like to drill the hole in a guitar neck heel to instal a strap button (right through that painstakingly prepared wood surface and carefully applied finish).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 'GinnerPicker View Post
    I am glad that I posted this to get a true sense of this community. I was not whining, merely wondering why my mandolin was "defaced" or "worth less" to quote some. If these aren't (to be put kindly) "less helpful" comments, than I must be on the wrong site. I do however appreciate those who kindly stated that there wasn't a change in value. I just may delete my profile, which is truly sad as I have only been playing for a month!
    " Your outlook in life is not determined by what happens to you in life, but by how you react to what happens to you" The true sense of this community is a very helpful one and before you do anything rash, take a break and think about it for awhile. We all over react at some point in our lives ! Your thread was actually a very interesting one and I'm glad you posted it ! Your mandolin with the autograph will be worth more to you than anyone else so enjoy the story and how you got it !

6. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

I know how to apply finish! I build muzzleloaders, and if I had for example a man named Max Vickery sign a rifle, it would be worth $$$$.

In the bluegrass world getting people to sign instruments will do next to nothing to increase their value. 99% of the time you reduce the market for that instrument if you decide to sell it. Now if you got Eric Clapton to sign his signature model Strat, you might make a little coin. Or if BB King signed a Lucille model. Ricky signing a mandolin.......just play it and have fun.

As for the forum, you won't find a more knowledgeable and welcoming group of people. If you ask a question, it'll get answered. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean anyone is being mean or condescending.

9. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

Laird 

Now you see how this silly pond flows, 'Ginner! Now get used to a little ribbing and have some fun here! It took me a while to realize opinions are pretty strong here but, you will get good advice and plenty of it, no need to leave.
    I have a crutch signed by BB! Priceless!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

11. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

My opinion (to which I am entitled, so I'm told) is that Max Vickery would deface your muzzle loader if he did, added value or not.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Bear in mind, though, that it may rise a lot in value should Mr Skaggs ever become famous.
    Touche'

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Who's Robert Parrish ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Yeah, who's Robert Parrish?
    He had his 15 minutes of fame, if you're old enough to remember (he had a teammate named Larry Bird). Thus in many years someone may well wonder "who was Ricky Skaggs?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Yeah, who's Robert Parrish?
    One of the 50 greatest basketball players of all time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Parish

...and who's Max Vickery?
    I would not be surprised to find people who don't know who Ricky Scaggs is. We tend to think people who are "famous" among the cognoscenti are universally famous, and it is seldom true.

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    ...and who's Max Vickery?
    I would not be surprised to find people who don't know who Ricky Scaggs is. We tend to think people who are "famous" among the cognoscenti are universally famous, and it is seldom true.
    I just don't like you! Someone posts 11,467 really must have nothing better to do than pick on others! I don't require anymore of your assistance!

So I assume that means you think I'm not entitled to my opinion.
    Oh, and by the way you're entitled to your opinion about me.
    Over and out.

20. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

I've just got back with the cake and cookies. How is everyone getting along?

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

No, I'm a very conservative person so I respect the ability to have opinions (the 1st amendment), that doesn't mean you have to share all of them. Thanks

GinnerPicker, Welcome to the Cafe'!

It is an unfortunate fact that autographs on instruments do not enhance their value generally speaking. This is always a sore subject because those who own the autographed instruments often seem to convince themselves of the increased value, in spite of evidece to the contrary. Autographed instruments are popular items in celebrity charity auctions for example. People pay high prices for those but usually these are rich people with lots of disposable income who won't miss it a bit and know the money is going to a good cause.

A couple of stories to illustrate the point. There was an episode of Pawn Stars (yeah I know not the best source) where someone brought in a cheap Squier Strat autographed by Chuck Berry. The guy was convinced he had a fortune. I think Rick offered him like a hundred bucks which is what it would be worth without the autograph. Guy left angry of course. Trouble is the autograph can only be authenticated by an expert without documentation. Plus this is just not the type of instrument Chuck Berry collectors want. They would want the signature on a guitar associated with Chuck Berry like a Gibson 335.

Next story: As a big Les Paul fan I was thrilled to see him perform at the Iridium in NYC when he was 90. Memorable night! He signed autographs after the performance. Some had guitars but I had him sign a Les Paul pick guard instead. For one thing Les always personalized his autographs. So I would never be able to sell my guitar unless someone named Don wanted it! Plus, another reason Les Paul autographs are not valuable is, being the kind gentleman he always was, signed autographs quite generously and there are thousands of them out there.

So, you did not say whether your autograph is personalized or not. If it is that pretty much sucks all the value out of it. Even if it is not I'll bet there are thousands of Ricky Skaggs autographs out there. So, not rare. Your mandolin, also not rare. So we have a not rare autograph on a not rare instrument. 2 plus 2 still equals 4! But I think the way to look at something like that is that it is special to you. Would I like to have a Ricky Skaggs signed mandolin? You bet! That would be so cool! You know like the commercial says, Memories? Priceless!

Now, there are exceptions. For example it the autograph appears on an instrument that was actually owned and used by a superstar, with documentation and provenance, we are in another universe there.

Oops, just looked at the picture again. I see it's not personalized. Sorry.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Wow, didn't realize he had that many haters. Maybe because I paid to see him instead of some of you! Thanks to those that weren't condescending, or disrespectful (namely George and Darren)!
    Haters? I probably own every record and CD that Ricky ever put out. I've seen him more than once. The truth is the truth. The mandolin's value hasn't been increased. Monroe's signature wouldn't increase the value of that mandolin. The truth may be hard to handle but you asked a question and you got the real answer.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    In the bluegrass world getting people to sign instruments will do next to nothing to increase their value. 99% of the time you reduce the market for that instrument if you decide to sell it.... As for the forum, you won't find a more knowledgeable and welcoming group of people. If you ask a question, it'll get answered. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean anyone is being mean or condescending.
    That pretty much covers it. I can see why someone might think a famous signature would add value to an instrument, so that's an honest mistake on the OP's part. But it's a shame he mistook these honest responses to his question as dissing Ricky (or making fun of the OP himself). I went from being startled by his initial response to being mostly amused, and finally to being disheartened that anyone would misread the Cafe experience so wildly.

28. The following members say thank you to Laird for this post:

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The only example I can think of where his autograph improved the value was on the Distressed Master Models he signed. But that probably only changed the retail value, not the second-hand market value.

I do however appreciate those who kindly stated that there wasn't a change in value.
    Well, this seems to be an answer that bothers you less than the truthful answer most people will give you. Simply because it's a step closer to the answer you hoped to hear (that the value might be increased by the signature), that doesn't make it any kinder than the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    One of the 50 greatest basketball players of all time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Parish
    A mind fart ! Of course I've heard of Bob Parrish ! I was thinking muscian !

If you choose not pursue becoming and active member of the Mandolin Cafe that is most likely your loss and possibly a loss to the Cafe, but one we won't ever know for sure.
    There were a few smart alec responses (the way it almost always is in a group of guys) and several, honest, non-hateful responses.
    Your come back has put one or two people on the defensive when all they were trying to do was give you a good answer.
    I probably should not add the following because John can take up his own cause if he wants to, but here it goes anyway.
    John Hamlett, (sunburst) is a highly skilled and sought after luthier. He has over 11,000 posts because people wait with bated breath for his advice on many repair and construction questions about mandolins. He has always been very willing to share with those of us that need help. His initial response to you here read to me like he was offering up a sound opinion backed by his knowledge and experience.
    If you don't think you will be happy here we will miss you even if we don't realize it.
    Bill Snyder

33. The following members say thank you to Bill Snyder for this post:

No, I'm a very conservative person so I respect the ability to have opinions (the 1st amendment), that doesn't mean you have to share all of them. Thanks
    True! No one has to share all of them. But...
    Some people are generous enough to take the time to offer them when asked.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLATROCK HILL For This Useful Post:

I love Skaggs. I love mandolins. Autographs....I don't care about them.

The only autograph that would catch my attention would be Lloyd Loar on the label, and Gibson on the headstock. That would make me want to have it checked out more closely.

However, if I had a mandolin with Skaggs' autograph I would keep it.

Bob
    re simmers

GinnerPicker.........obviously it is your choice to delete your profile but then you'd be missing out on the 99% great stuff about the Cafe rather than getting bogged down on the 1% of the frustrating stuff..........I've come to realize that one has to not be so easily offended on this site..........there are always those who respond the way they do for a variety of reasons:1) to sincerely offer constructive advise, 2) to offer constructive advice with a little humour or sarcasm, 3) to be condescending for whatever reason.
    This site is a wealth of amazing resources & info from old discussion archives as well as current discussions plus the great links.....it would be a shame to give up on it...
    Try not to be so easily offended "GP"........enjoy the site & all the good & ignore the sarcasm.
    Peace,
    Jim Ferguson

Kentucky KM1000

~Give Blood-Play Hockey