Thread: Ukulele tuning question

Question Ukulele tuning question

Hi guys, here's a tricky one for you, I have a Tenor Uke and a Baritone Uke.
    The Tenor is tuned GCEA with a Low G string and the Baritone is also strung this way with the Aquila GCEA string set but I have detuned it 3 semi tones to EAC#F#
    My reason for doing this is that my voice is naturally pitched in E and the way I have the Baritone tuned makes it a bit easier to sing along to.
    I would however like to be able to strum along whilst singing in my natural key of E so would it be possible for me to achieve this with either another alternative tuning or by using a Cappo?.
    Most importantly I want to be able to keep using the Tenor chord shapes that I have learned.
    Any tips or suggestions would be a big help if nothing else your answers should help me advance my Music Theory understanding.
    Many Thanks.
    Geordie.

Default Re: Ukulele tuning question

Tune to standard baritone tuning DGBE and capo 2nd fret.
    That is if I understand your question correctly.
    OR
    Learn your closed chord shapes and play up or down the neck to suit your voice.
    OR
    Transpose the song into the key that fits your voice and play those open chords

Also I'm going to recommend a book by Bruce Emery called Ukulele from scratch. It starts out simple but he soon has you transposing songs into different keys and later in the book shows you the moveable closed chords. It's for GCEA tuning. He also has it for DGBE baritone uke or tenor guitar DGBE "Chicago" tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by geordiebluesman View Post
    Hi guys, here's a tricky one for you, I have a Tenor Uke and a Baritone Uke.
    The Tenor is tuned GCEA with a Low G string and the Baritone is also strung this way with the Aquila GCEA string set but I have detuned it 3 semi tones to EAC#F#
    My reason for doing this is that my voice is naturally pitched in E and the way I have the Baritone tuned makes it a bit easier to sing along to.
    I would however like to be able to strum along whilst singing in my natural key of E so would it be possible for me to achieve this with either another alternative tuning or by using a Cappo?.
    Most importantly I want to be able to keep using the Tenor chord shapes that I have learned.
    Any tips or suggestions would be a big help if nothing else your answers should help me advance my Music Theory understanding.
    Many Thanks.
    Geordie.
    My understanding is that the chord shapes will be the same but the chords will have different names, as is the case when you play GCEA chord shapes on an instrument tuned DGBE. So a C chord shape (0003) on a GCEA instrument is a G chord on a DGBE instrument and would be an A chord on a EAC#F# instrument. What I did when I began playing baritone ukulele and tenor guitar with Chicago tuning after having learned how to play a tenor (GCEA) ukulele is I would write the corresponding GCEA chord shape for baritone ukulele. So if I was playing a baritone ukulele and had to play a G chord, I'd pencil in on the sheet music next to the G chord notation the letter C, to remind me that playing a GCEA C shape on my DGBE baritone ukulele would result in a G chord. I hope that makes sense.