Thread: Solid body e-mando sound question

Default Solid body e-mando sound question

Is there any way a solidbody electric mandolin can sound like anything other than a small electric guitar?

Not a putdown, I really am looking for ways to do that.

Default Re: Solid body e-mando sound question

Well, with a bigger cabinet like a 4x10 or larger mine doesn't really sound that small. For leads it's hard to tell the difference between it and a guitar other than the way you might phrase things differently or licks that are more idiomatic to mandolin.

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Once you've gone to single strings (as opposed to an 8-string electric), why would you want it to NOT sound like an electric guitar? (and the closer to E.G, the better!)

Fair question.

Well, suppose you're in a band that already has two full time EG players. You'd like to play electric mandolin on some numbers (on a 4-stringer, yes) - but instead of providing a tonal contrast the way an acoustic mando in an acoustic band would, you may just be providing a third guitar part.

Any thoughts on playing e-mando in a context like that?

Sometimes the solution to a problem is to change one or more of the assumptions. The assumptions here seem to be:
    1. Solidbody vs. acoustic
    2. 4-string vs. 8-string
    3. "Electric" as in electric guitar, implying mag pickups and amps that cater to mag pickups, vs. pizeo or other acoustic pickup into an acoustic amp

Change any one of those and you create a difference. Change more that one, you create more of a difference. I have played in bands that had two electric guitarists and I was using an acoustic 8-string with a pizeo into an acoustic amp. It worked, and I sounded a lot different than they did. Is that the difference you want? Up to you.

Other possibilities, I suppose, are to get different stomp boxes than the EG's have.

6. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

As has been noted above, the unique phrasing and higher pitch you get with mandolin goes a long way to contrasting against the other players. Check out the super tasty licks Tiny Moore was dishing out on his 5-string Bigsby in The Texas Playboys - works great and that's a band with a couple other guitar players. I think there was even a tele player.

In terms of getting an acoustic mandolin tone at higher volumes the best "off-the-shelf" solution is something like the Godin A8. It uses RMC piezo saddles [or has on some versions] that provide one of the more authentic "acoustic" tones from an electric available ATM. I have a Godin classical guitar with the same electronics, plus MIDI, and it works extremely well providing your amp and effects are for acoustic instruments.

No Marshall or Fender or tube amps - for acoustic tone you need something more like a keyboard or PA amp that is voiced for a wider range and won't distort when pushed. Guitar amps are voiced for guitars, not mandolins. Roland has a nice KC series, Behringer has some Roland knock-offs at lower prices. Tech21 Power Engines are great for solid clean power. There are dedicated acoustic amps out there, but they're expansive and provide nothing a good out-board EQ into clean power won't.

EQ - It's always good to have an outboard EQ handy. I have a Tech21 Para DI. Lot's of praise for the L.R. Baggs around. There are others. Find one you like and keep it handy.

For an amp I use a 70's Yamaha G100 210. Tons of clean power, super EQ and dripping spring reverb if needed.

I have 3 mandolins all outfitted with electronics in one form or another. I have a 5-string Fender electric I tricked out with a couple of hot rail humbuckers. It rocks like nothing else, but is definitely more in the "guitar" realm.

For acoustics I use a resonator and my Paris Swing pictured in my avatar. Both are wired up pretty much the same. As you can see on my avatar, it has a floating Lace resonator pickup. It also has 2 piezo mics attached to the underside of the soundboard. The pickups go to a 3-way selector giving me piezo, humbucker or both. Each has separate volume controls and go out a single 1/4" jack. The resonator is setup pretty much the same way with a Lace resonator humbucker mounted under the cover plate and a piezo contact mic attached under the bridge.

I get a great "acoustic" tone from the piezo's, but they are subject to feedback at higher volumes. The humbuckers give me much more volume, but move the sound into the guitar realm. Depending on venue and volume, a mix of the 2 is best but move either way depending on the circumstances. That said, I did play my Paris Swing [humbucker] through a Jet City 4x12 stack and it rocked pretty good.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

8. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post: